Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to get my diet cleaner. I do currently snack on nuts (salted -probably too salty). What seeds could I buy? I understand, like nuts, seeds provide essential fats, the good fats.

Anyone here snack on seeds, what have been the benefits? What type of seed do you eat and where do you recommend I buy seeds from? I've tried my local H&B store but products there seem so expensive.

Also in terms of nuts, am I best replacing salted nuts with another type of nut? I just want to eat better, mainly to improve my overall wellbeing. I do have slumps in mood now and again and I want to make sure that I'm eating well, eating 'clever'. I do have the tendancy to feel tired and rather lethargic and I'm not quite sure why. I exercise frequently, my diet is decent enough, I eat plenty of fruit...so I'm wanting to cover all angles really.

Any help would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I love snacking on unsalted pecans, brazil nuts, cashews and almonds. Walnuts are nice too althoug not my absolute favourites. I think these types are much nicer without the salt. As for seeds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds are nice on their own and a good size. It's tricky to eat sesame/hemp/poppyseeds because they're so tiny, but they're good to bake into things, such as lemon and poppyseed muffins.

And true they are expensive, but remember you only need a handful or so a day so you don't need to buy loads. You can also buy prepared mixes of nuts, seeds and dried fruit. M&S sell a nut, seed and fruit mix that has these lovely giant golden raisins in and I find a handful of that as an afternoon snack is good for picking up my energy for about 150kcal or so.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I like to chuck a few seeds in my porridge in the morning (along with a sliced banana, some sultanas and chopped dried apricots - it is super porridge!). I've often bought the 3 seed mix from Tesco. They do another seed mix called omega seed mix or something, but that costs twice as much. I've also just bought packs of one type of seed, like sunflower seeds, which don't seem too expensive. As the previous poster said, you don't need a huge amount.

ReputationRep:
    Pumpkin seeds :coma:

ReputationRep:
    mmm seeds. <3

ReputationRep:
    Pine nuts/kernels are yum!

ReputationRep:
    I tend to bung a bunch of seeds into a blender with some other nice things to make a smoothie, because tbh they taste pretty **** on their own. Same goes for nuts because they taste **** without salt. You can incorporate things like sesame seeds or pine nuts into stir-fries as well, try that!

Oh and I get mine from Asda usually, in the like 'whole foods' section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elixira)
    I tend to bung a bunch of seeds into a blender with some other nice things to make a smoothie, because tbh they taste pretty **** on their own. Same goes for nuts because they taste **** without salt. You can incorporate things like sesame seeds or pine nuts into stir-fries as well, try that!

Oh and I get mine from Asda usually, in the like 'whole foods' section.
    nom nom nom :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    I'm trying to get my diet cleaner. I do currently snack on nuts (salted -probably too salty). What seeds could I buy? I understand, like nuts, seeds provide essential fats, the good fats.

Anyone here snack on seeds, what have been the benefits? What type of seed do you eat and where do you recommend I buy seeds from? I've tried my local H&B store but products there seem so expensive.

Also in terms of nuts, am I best replacing salted nuts with another type of nut? I just want to eat better, mainly to improve my overall wellbeing. I do have slumps in mood now and again and I want to make sure that I'm eating well, eating 'clever'. I do have the tendancy to feel tired and rather lethargic and I'm not quite sure why. I exercise frequently, my diet is decent enough, I eat plenty of fruit...so I'm wanting to cover all angles really.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Head straight down to Holland & Barrett, they'll have everything you need... nuts, seeds, even lentils if you dare. :yep: For nuts, I'd say snack on almonds, macademia, and walnuts as they are naturally nice to eat in my opinion... they're a little bit sweeter than the rest. Definitely stop choosing salted versions - if you want a savoury snack, then cashews and standard peanuts (unsalted) have a mildly salty flavour anyway. If you feel like you need salt, buy them plain and add your own salt at home to ensure they're not smothered.

As for seeds - sunflower seeds are seen as a 'superfood' which are packed with vitamins, BUT I find them a bit flavourless. Sesame seeds are my favourite, you can buy them in snack bar-size coated in honey. Don't forget, cereals like oats and wheat are seeds too so make sure you include plenty of these in your diet.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Oh I see you already mentioned H & B... hmm. Just keep checking in there because they usually have some offers on - halfprice and 3 for 2 etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to buy the seeds that I feel I need/want, shred them and sprinkle them over my breakast cereals each morning :cool:

Apparently, if you eat them whole, alot of the goodness just goes through your body without any of the good nutrients being taken in....

As for the nuts I have, I always have salted peanuts - and they really are smothered in salt. I'm going to have to do something about this. I read that peanuts have a lower nutritional value than many of the other types of nuts, so I'll buy some shredded nuts from a shop. I don't like the taste of walnuts and a few other nuts, so in shredded form, maybe I can tolerate the taste a little better.

thanks for the advice, folks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    I'm going to buy the seeds that I feel I need/want, shred them and sprinkle them over my breakast cereals each morning

Apparently, if you eat them whole, alot of the goodness just goes through your body without any of the good nutrients being taken in....

As for the nuts I have, I always have salted peanuts - and they really are smothered in salt. I'm going to have to do something about this. I read that peanuts have a lower nutritional value than many of the other types of nuts, so I'll buy some shredded nuts from a shop. I don't like the taste of walnuts and a few other nuts, so in shredded form, maybe I can tolerate the taste a little better.

thanks for the advice, folks.
    You could have a go at baking your own cereal bars which you can cram with the nuts and seeds of your choice. :yep:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.