Turn on thread page Beta

what everyone weekly budget breakdown for uni? watch

From my spreadsheet... :P though will pay more for my lenses I reckon, and may not go to Pineapple.

Outgoings
    Rent 4353.79 40 weeks
    Food 800 52 weeks
    Mobile 155 12 month
    Going out 1365 40 weeks
    Travel 656 42 weeks
    Gym 212 12 months
    Stationary 60
    Clothes 240 Annually
    Birthdays 110
    Toiletries 180 10 months
    Haircuts 100 10 months
    Travel home 100 Megabus
    Christmas 96 Fixed sum
    A. deposit 150 Fixed sum
    Lenses 110 ??
    Pineapple 1280 Annual+classes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lexi99)
    Jesus H!!!! You dont even need a job with that budget!
    Well, it depends on what you're accustomed to I suppose but i'm still going to budget

ReputationRep:
    About £150-200 a week.

ReputationRep:
    £50 a week

ReputationRep:
    Accounting for known costs and a few estimates from the SU, I'm on around -£15 pw...

The SU's estimates do seem quite high though. For "subsistence" (which includes food and general expenses) they've got £100 pw, and for "clothing and entertainment" they've got £45 pw. Altogether they put the cost of 30 weeks in university at £9428.

ReputationRep:
    Ive budgeted about £15 a week on food and I am in catering. Does this sound reasonable to everyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sduong)
    same! but I'll try to save, but probably end up spending it lol
    same here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew1992)
    hey just wondering how much people are planning to spend each week and on what (food , travel , socialsing etc) and what there maximum weekly budget is =)

so for i have worked out i will spend around £10 a week for travel , £30 for food and another £50 for clothing and going out , does this sound ok?
    That's a lot of money! I have £50 to spend on social and travel, etc but also have a catered card so I only have to buy basic food.

ReputationRep:
    i can only spend about £80 a week I think....most of this will go on alcohol and cigarettes unfortunatley....but I am in catered so no food costs!

ReputationRep:
    £50 a week on food
    £0 on travel
    and no more than £40 on going out and luxuries

should probably spend less on food but i like eating so i will continue to
    same goes with the drinking and smoking as well really

ReputationRep:
    £67.50 is it just me who is seeing most of the £ signs as question marks? it's really frustrating :O

im working on 20 for food...to achieve this im gonna have to learn to cook...gonna avoid travel. Free gym membership <3 47.50 for whatever i need, i dont see myself paying a brickload for going out so i might save a bit...I do need new clothes though...

P.s laundrette? what kinda prices we talking ?

Okay, before I start - I live in Central London as a 2nd year so I'm in private accom but not close enough to walk to uni, and I'm a total home person so lots of travelling home for me! Also, I'm a self-confessed theatre and stationary addict, and a news junkie!

Rent - £125
    Bills - £20
    Food - £25
    Toiletries/Household stuff - £10
    TV Licence - £9
    Books/Stationary - £5
    Oyster - £10
    Trains - £7
    Drinking/Going out - £30
    Theatre - £10
    Clothes - £5
    Newspapers - £2
    Kickboxing - £6
    Savings - £10
    Total - £274... Oh crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRYPATRICK89)
    Unless you are one of these toffs who don't have a real perception on life (i.e. the daddy's girls who get sent to live in a £300 per night penthouse suite in central London), I'd expect you to be licking your mark's & spencer steak from a solid silver platter for £90 a week.
    actually your assumption im some "toff" is far off and infact my parents dont earn very much at all , and i only got the idea £90 was not much from other peoples posts claiming to have £150 plus a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew1992)
    actually your assumption im some "toff" is far off and infact my parents dont earn very much at all , and i only got the idea £90 was not much from other peoples posts claiming to have £150 plus a week.
    Wasn't saying you are a toff ;-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRYPATRICK89)
    Wasn't saying you are a toff ;-)
    sorry i must of mirsead , just seemed thats what was being suggested :p:

ReputationRep:
    For me, the loans are taking care of the tuition fees and rent. My breakdown is £40 a week for casual costs, £30 a week for food, about £6 on 'other' costs (e.g. laundry) and some more bits.

The only thing is, looking at the whole breakdown, my parents are going to need to be sending me £250 a month just to break even! Having said that, I may not need to spend all the money they send me. Still, I'll really need a part time job...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohaidani)
    you've probably never had to do a food shop for yourself alone before, so that's why you're budgeting so high? im a veggie who spends £10-15 a week. sometimes that shop will last me a fortnight. not gonna lie, your first food shop will probably come to about £40-50+. but that's because you'll be buying stuff like a £5 box of washing up tabs, washing up liquid, some sponges, some bleach, tooth paste & tooth brushes & shampoo & conditioner, ketchup & sauces & herbs & spices for the first time. and the killer: frozen food!

after that, it gets less and less. you get a reservoir of tins that hopefully, unless rough times strike, will never go down. you'll get into habits, like i got into the habit of planning my meals out pre-shop and then writing an ingredient list. so if i was gonna spend £4 on a chunk of cheese, i had recipes to include it in (stuffed mushrooms, jacket potato, soups, etc) rather than half of that going to waste. you become really food-efficient, a lot of 'proper' non-student households (especially if you're wealthy!) end up wasting food cos they have the luxury of choice & budget, something you will not! and remember...for every £5 you save on food you could spend £5 elsewhere, or save it? it really encourages you to think about what you're putting in your trolley! even if trekking around tescos for about an hour looking for the best deal is your idea of hell.

also £30 is easily spent if you're loyal to brand names. there are a lot of really amazing budget alternatives, like personally i think tesco value beans are nicer than heinz's. try them out and see where it's 'worth' spending more on, usually i find that BREAD is worth spending more on (even if it's only a 40p different), so are sauces (don't even try tesco value brown sauce, it was clumpy. gag.) and tesco value salt shakers WILL explode and ruin your last dinner of the week pre-food delivery. and nothing beats kellogs or tetley's! i really love their value mushy peas, beans, their value tomato puree and their 25p pittas are unbeatable! same with their chopped tomatoes (drain them though they're runny). i love cheapo crisps and chocolate too! xox
    You rock I love this list. I need to keep being reminded of this sort of thriftiness and your list is great!

I am going to try to live on as little as possible but my baking habit is going to ruin that... :P

ReputationRep:
    My dad's just copying what my godfather is giving his son so I'm getting £150 a week, plus £45 a month for phone bill.

Maintenance loan covers my accomodation so I'll be spending £10 of that a week on gym, £5 on tan, £10 on laundry, £30 on going out, £20 on clothes, and £75 on food.

ReputationRep:
    £30 food
    £20 weed
    £20 booz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    £30 food
    £20 weed
    £20 booz
    £20 of weed will lead to way more than £30s worth food if you're anything like me

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.