Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I haven't been issued with any sort of reading list yet and I don't know whether to buy recommended books just now or whether I've to read anything yet or anything. I'm just worried that I'll turn up on Monday/Tuesday and everyone else has done or read something I haven't.

Should I try and find my department and ask them about it? Or does anyone here know what's going on? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    What subjects?

ReputationRep:
    if it's arts & social sciences or humanities as it's now called, the first lectures are 'introductions' where they tell you what books you need then.

(Original post by pamelaa)
    if it's arts & social sciences or humanities as it's now called, the first lectures are 'introductions' where they tell you what books you need then.
    :nothing:

I missed that. Long story. I couldn't avoid missing it. I've e-mailed my Adviser of Studies to ask what was said at that and he hasn't replied yet.

I know which books I need for English, but not History or Politics. Am I screwed?

ReputationRep:
    I was told about books at the first lectures for each class.

I assume if you had to read beforehand they'll have sent you a list.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I was told I'd get told at my first lectures. And I was also told not to run out and buy them wait a few weeks to see which ones I keep having to go to the library to get.

Thank you! *chillaxes*

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I bought most of mine last year and only used about 2/3 properly! It was a waste of money for me it felt.

(Original post by javjamoll)
    Yeah, I bought most of mine last year and only used about 2/3 properly! It was a waste of money for me it felt.
    :beard: When were you told to read your first books? Like, were you told to read a book in your first week?

I'm just paranoid because I haven't been given any info at all ... Maybe I just need to wait for first lecture on Monday.

ReputationRep:
    No. I was told in my first lecture for each class the textbook.

They tell you (well my classes) what to read for the next lecture. Didn't really ever do it

(Original post by javjamoll)
    They tell you (well my classes) what to read for the next lecture. Didn't really ever do it
    My brother says the same :woo:

ReputationRep:
    How cld u have missed it if uni doesn't start back till next week :s you get told on your first lecture what books to buy (anyways they'll help u at the john smith bookshop if u don't know, even then)

ReputationRep:
    There are no lectures on Monday. The university is closed. Your first lecture will be on tuesday!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.