Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My mate and I are currently taking a gap year out and both plan to go to university in 2011. My mate (who doesn't have a TSR account) was wondering what things can he do this year to help make his Economics application stronger? Are there any other courses other than A levels that can help him, would a particular type of job help him? Would resitting some of his exams put him at a disadvantage or advantage etc. Btw, he achieved ABB in his A2 levels with an A in Mathematics, B in Biology and B in Economics.

Any advice would be appreciated
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well he probably has little chance of getting into the top 10 because he is doing it over 3 years and to be honest ABB won't get you into the top 20 unis in the TAELT guide. What type of unis is he looking to apply for?

ReputationRep:
    He's not sure yet. I think he was interested in Kent, loughborough and a few others. He was put forward for special consideration for his summer exams because he was having a few problems at home. He was only a few ums of an A overall in economics and biology :/
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    He could retake the A2 exams he got B's in, and try get some work experience somewhere like UBS (if he can)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpdavis)
    He could retake the A2 exams he got B's in, and try get some work experience somewhere like UBS (if he can)
    OK then, do you know if there are any qualifications out there other than A levels that could help strengthen his application?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by fallout201)
    OK then, do you know if there are any qualifications out there other than A levels that could help strengthen his application?
    I would suggest maths aea, as uni economics gets very mathematical :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice. Would volunteering also help? Even though it has nothing to do with Economics itself?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks for all the advice. Would volunteering also help? Even though it has nothing to do with Economics itself?
    Well you could, but if anything he volunteer in a maths department so show a sort of link with his work and eco
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    There is far too much emphasis on maths in this thread. The places this OP has a chance of getting an offer are not going to be maths whores, working in a maths dept. just because it's maths related IS NOT going to improve his chances. Maths at ABB unis will not be hard, generally the econometrics is basic and won't make use of matrix algebra. Everything that is needed in the course will be taught, things like optimisation, multivariate calculus and such. An A maths is more than enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    There is far too much emphasis on maths in this thread. The places this OP has a chance of getting an offer are not going to be maths whores, working in a maths dept. just because it's maths related IS NOT going to improve his chances. Maths at ABB unis will not be hard, generally the econometrics is basic and won't make use of matrix algebra. Everything that is needed in the course will be taught, things like optimisation, multivariate calculus and such. An A maths is more than enough.
    OK, thanks. Are you speaking from experience?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    OK, thanks. Are you speaking from experience?
    Well I'm on an Economics course and have looked at syllabus' and past exams from other unis. As you get away from the top 10 or so unis the mathematical content is less.

ReputationRep:
    can someone tell me if this is a good or bad sign

Thank you for your application to study BA (Honours)/BSc (Honours) L100 Economics at the University of Nottingham.

As you may be aware this programme is very popular, attracting large numbers of applications from highly qualified candidates. In accordance with UCAS guidelines we must give equal consideration to all applications that we receive up until the 15 January deadline, and therefore we are required to put your application on hold for a short time.

We realise that you will want to be notified of our decision as soon as possible, and we will not hold your application unnecessarily. We aim to process your form as soon as we can and you should expect to hear from us by the end of February 2011 at the latest. Details will be communicated to you through the UCAS system in the usual manner.

We appreciate your patience and thank you for your interest in the University of Nottingham.

Yours sincerely

The Undergraduate Admissions Team
    Admissions Office
    The University of Nottingham
    University Park
    Nottingham
    NG7 2RD
    Tel: + 44 (0)115 95 14749
    Fax: + 44 (0)115 95 14668
    www.nottingham.ac.uk/admissions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i have no name)
    can someone tell me if this is a good or bad sign

Thank you for your application to study BA (Honours)/BSc (Honours) L100 Economics at the University of Nottingham.

As you may be aware this programme is very popular, attracting large numbers of applications from highly qualified candidates. In accordance with UCAS guidelines we must give equal consideration to all applications that we receive up until the 15 January deadline, and therefore we are required to put your application on hold for a short time.

We realise that you will want to be notified of our decision as soon as possible, and we will not hold your application unnecessarily. We aim to process your form as soon as we can and you should expect to hear from us by the end of February 2011 at the latest. Details will be communicated to you through the UCAS system in the usual manner.

We appreciate your patience and thank you for your interest in the University of Nottingham.

Yours sincerely

The Undergraduate Admissions Team
    Admissions Office
    The University of Nottingham
    University Park
    Nottingham
    NG7 2RD
    Tel: + 44 (0)115 95 14749
    Fax: + 44 (0)115 95 14668
    www.nottingham.ac.uk/admissions
    I don't think it's either - it's just notice that they have received your application and will be considering it, but not for a short while and therefore their reply may be later than some other unis.

Reads like it's automated to me, as well.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.