Turn on thread page Beta

Which uni to choose? BCU or Birmingham Uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well I've been browsing these forums for a while and still haven't really found an answer to my question.

I am applying (or trying to apply) for 2011 Primary PGCE and as well as having a few issues with the online application I've also started to become unsure about the order of the universities I'm choosing. As I want to stay at home, there are only 2 options which jump out at me which is great except I really can't decide which to put down first!

It's either Birmingham Uni or BCU.

There are pros and cons that I have found for both and I was basically just looking for anyone who had any first hand experiences of either. Looking on TDA has in fact probably confused me even more! They are very similar in some aspects then completely different in others.

I live in North Birmingham so BCU is marginally closer but not massively.

If it makes any difference here is some info about me:

I'm in my 3rd year at Cov uni doing Fine Art. (currently on 2.1)

The experience I have is 1 week in a primary school in 2007, 2 weeks this june, 4 weeks teaching english abroad in kenya in a school and orphanage this summer. I'm also a Cub Leader, currently doing my training and am to do an OCN along side this course (Providing Voluntary Youth Services at level 2) - not sure whether to put this down as haven't officially registered on the course yet.
    I'm also taking a module this year at uni - volunteering as a student mentor in a local secondary school, this is a couple of hours a week across 2 terms minimum.

Sorry for the long post but would appreciate some honest feedback about which uni to put first and which I stand a better chance with.

ReputationRep:
    Your experience sounds good. If you are going to do that course then put it down, but if you think you might end up not doing it then don't...

The unis will have different areas where they place students and I think these tend not to overlap much. So basically, BCU will *probably* have more contacts in your neck of the woods and if you go for Bham, you might end up trekking to the other side of the city on placement.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.