Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessmarisa)
    Thank you for that trick! It worked perfect! Why couldn't thay have made that clearer :mad:

When I was with UCAS before I lived in a different city (my parents) I then moved, I have put where I am now if it is wrong they can sort it out! I can't see it mattering too much at this stage as they all provide the same support AFAIK.
    I'm confused about this 'earliest start date' people are talking about..I've sent my application off but don't remember seeing that anywhere eek! What section was it in???

ReputationRep:
    I´m still waiting for my reference... if i have to wait any longer i´ll just send it to my secondary reference

ReputationRep:
    Hey I am waiting to send mine off but can't because one of my colleges is not on the list in the education section, and there is no button to add missing ones even though the help tool-tip says there should be!
    Anyone know anything about this?

Also for the student support agreements do I put my location city or my parents seeing as it will be assessed against their income if it is anything like the undergraduate loans system?
    I also am not even 100% if I will be allowed it as I have already had several loans for switching Universities twice (even though I still only took a total of 3 1/2years loans/fees to graduate they were fussy over my last one, like a last chance type thing!)

One more little question:
    For the earliest start date, I just put next month because basically I am free from now providing I can get funding sorted out, but courses don't start until next September right, so what is this all about?

Thanks everyone, hoping to have this all wrapped up and sent off by tomorrow afternoon, and hope my references are on the ball and quick about it and I should be fine right?

eeek i dont remember seeing anything about an 'earliest start date' on my form...which section was it in?? also I've made a tiny error in one of the sentences in my personal statement (just missed the word 'at' out duh!) anyone know if there's any possible way of changing it before they send it to the universities! it's with my tutor at the moment as he is my principal referee.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lella)
    eeek i dont remember seeing anything about an 'earliest start date' on my form...which section was it in?? also I've made a tiny error in one of the sentences in my personal statement (just missed the word 'at' out duh!) anyone know if there's any possible way of changing it before they send it to the universities! it's with my tutor at the moment as he is my principal referee.....
    Unfortunately there's no way to change your statement once you've requested a reference. As far as I remember the earliest start date was in the choices section, but I couldnt really understand the point of the question. Don't worry though, it wouldnt have let you mark the page as complete if the information was necessary. Chances are you filled it in but don't remember!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanBrook)
    Unfortunately there's no way to change your statement once you've requested a reference. As far as I remember the earliest start date was in the choices section, but I couldnt really understand the point of the question. Don't worry though, it wouldnt have let you mark the page as complete if the information was necessary. Chances are you filled it in but don't remember!

Thanks!

Guess I'm going to have to cross my fingers that the admissions tutors don't notice my mistake lol! It doesn't look too good for a wannabe English teacher to be making typos all over the shop

Yeah hopefully I just can't remember filling the start date bit in...

ReputationRep:
    The earliest start date - some uni's start in January.

ReputationRep:
    How do i know if my referee has said yes to writing a reference? And if she says no will it go to second choice? What if she doesn't respond?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    How do i know if my referee has said yes to writing a reference? And if she says no will it go to second choice? What if she doesn't respond?
    you should get an email from gttr saying they have agreed to write you a reference and then another one when they have completed it. I think there is a way to chase them up/send some sort of reminder through the gttr system otherwise I'd drop them an email or phonecall just to check they have received the reference form.

It won't be sent to your second referee as universities are quite clear that they want a reference from your university as the principal reference and will only contact the second one themselves if they need further support for your application.

ReputationRep:
    Well I finally managed to complete all the sections and sent my request to my referee. I maintain that the whole process was nothing short of farcical. What do they do with all our £19?? Whoever put that application form together needs shooting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lella)
    I'm confused about this 'earliest start date' people are talking about..I've sent my application off but don't remember seeing that anywhere eek! What section was it in???
    It was somewhere near the choices and it said optional next to it, so it doesn't matter unless as others have said you want to start in January, they will probably contact you when you get an offer to ask when you want to start, if you have a choice anyway.

My plans have changed now so I couldn't start early afterall (saving up my money to go on a big fab holiday back to Japan for as long as possible over summer before I start Uni again)

Still not sent mine because I am starting volunteering and child safety courses in the next week I want to talk about, however I guess if they are aimed at primary they won't be relevant to a secondary application anyway and I should just send it off?

ReputationRep:
    It was somewhere near the choices and it said optional next to it, so it doesn't matter unless as others have said you want to start in January, they will probably contact you when you get an offer to ask when you want to start, if you have a choice anyway.

My plans have changed now so I couldn't start early afterall (saving up my money to go on a big fab holiday back to Japan for as long as possible over summer before I start Uni again)

Still not sent mine because I am starting volunteering and child safety courses in the next week I want to talk about, however I guess if they are aimed at primary they won't be relevant to a secondary application anyway and I should just send it off?
    Thanks

My advice would be not to wait around and send it off as soon as you can! I was told by a PGCE admissions tutor at Manchester university (and I also think I read it somewhere too..) that if you are planning on getting some sort of experience but haven't actually started you can still mention it on your form explain when you are due to start and what it will involve and they will take it into account and ask you more detail at interview, as by then you will presumably have got going with it. Hope that helps!

Oh and I just noticed you said it's primary experience. In that case it's obv not looked upon as being as relevant to your teaching application as much as 11-18 experience. However, you can still use it to highlight you teaching/leadership skills so it certainly wouldn't hurt your application putting it in!

ReputationRep:
    ugh still waiting for my referee!

ReputationRep:
    Everything done, paid for, sent off It's just a waiting game now! Does anyone know roughly how long it takes for unis to start getting back to you?

ReputationRep:
    Someone already got an interview from Durham so I'd say they could get back to you very soon!

ReputationRep:
    one week waiting for my referee, how long should I give it before I panic :s:

ReputationRep:
    Ring them. I had waited 5 days and hadn't heard from her, and she didn't reply to my emails- very unlike my tutor. So I rang her office and asked politely if she'd received my emails. She quite sheepishly said she had and that my reference was on her 'to do' list. Within two hours she'd sent in the reference and I'd sent off my application. I think she'd actually forgotten and was quite embarrassed as she's usually very efficient. So I would say just give it a go -ring or go to their office. It's very important!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, as said above, I would ring up and politely hurry your tutor along. If I hadn't done this I think I would still be waiting for mine now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharpesparkle)
    Ring them. I had waited 5 days and hadn't heard from her, and she didn't reply to my emails- very unlike my tutor. So I rang her office and asked politely if she'd received my emails. She quite sheepishly said she had and that my reference was on her 'to do' list. Within two hours she'd sent in the reference and I'd sent off my application. I think she'd actually forgotten and was quite embarrassed as she's usually very efficient. So I would say just give it a go -ring or go to their office. It's very important!

I've had to email her, cos she's only there part time anyway and can't get hold of her *sigh*
    Never going to get a place on my first choice at this rate

ReputationRep:
    I've had to email her, cos she's only there part time anyway and can't get hold of her *sigh*
    Never going to get a place on my first choice at this rate
    that's rubbish. Maybe you can ask your second referee to step up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharpesparkle)
    that's rubbish. Maybe you can ask your second referee to step up?

Yeah I may do, he's a bit more reliable ( I would have just put him but he's a tutor from college, and she's a tutor from uni so thought it best to put her). I got a bit confused with her email as well, cos they're changing the email system to include the word live, so I had a go at sending a request, then changing the details and sending another.. Not sure if that messed things up? She would have got a request to whichever email works for her I guess? But I did send an email to both emails and the one with live in it bounced so I guess her email hasn't changed along with all the student emails heh *shrug* Anyhoo if she doesn't reply in a few days I will defo change them around!\

Btw do I actually need to switch them around on the reference section so referee number 1 will become number 2 and number 2 will become number 1? What if she suddenly decides she wants to do the reference, what happens there (sorry for the random questions!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.