Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aleathiel)
    Yeah, I want them to hurry up but not be rude about it so they either decide not to do it or don't do it as well :hug:
    Good luck, hope you get yours sorted soon! Out of interest, which pgce courses are you applying for?
    I think I might email her tonight becuase she's going to get a reminder Thursday from GTTR anyway. So might word it as I'm letting her know theres going to be a reminder, so could she do it before then! Oooo plan!

Hope yours comes through soon too! It's killing me seeing people get interviews already! It's getting too close to December for comfort!

I am applying to do General Primary at Greenwich and Lower Primary and Goldsmiths - what about you?

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pansypotter)
    I think I might email her tonight becuase she's going to get a reminder Thursday from GTTR anyway. So might word it as I'm letting her know theres going to be a reminder, so could she do it before then! Oooo plan!

Hope yours comes through soon too! It's killing me seeing people get interviews already! It's getting too close to December for comfort!

I am applying to do General Primary at Greenwich and Lower Primary and Goldsmiths - what about you?

Good luck
    Hope that works

I'm applying at the University of Brighton, for Secondary (Art and Design), and Post Compulsory Education.

I've also applied for an MA in Film Studies at Sussex University (I want to teach Film and Media Studies, so the plan is to do that if I can get into it! if I don't get onto a pgce next year, and follow it up with a pgce)

ReputationRep:
    Hope that works

I'm applying at the University of Brighton, for Secondary (Art and Design), and Post Compulsory Education.

I've also applied for an MA in Film Studies at Sussex University (I want to teach Film and Media Studies, so the plan is to do that if I can get into it! if I don't get onto a pgce next year, and follow it up with a pgce)
    I've heard good things about Brighton.

Ahhhh you're a clever one with a plan b. I keep trying to think of a plan b, but I think if I don't get on the PGCE then I'll carry on working as a TA for a year and apply alllll over again!

And I emailed my referee - she got back to me pretty much straight away and said it'll be done tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully she'll keep her word!

ReputationRep:
    I've heard good things about Brighton.

Ahhhh you're a clever one with a plan b. I keep trying to think of a plan b, but I think if I don't get on the PGCE then I'll carry on working as a TA for a year and apply alllll over again!

And I emailed my referee - she got back to me pretty much straight away and said it'll be done tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully she'll keep her word!
    Good stuff!

I swallowed my pride and emailed her again so hopefully she will get the hint and do it!

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone help me?! I'm a bit confused as to how the reference system works on the GTTR application and whether I've done it right

I finally finished the form tonight and pressed the button to 'Send Reference Request', a pop-up window warned me that I wouldn't be able to change anything afterwards, I pressed okay and it said that I had sent it.

When I next logged in all the different sections had been frozen, but the Reference page looked exactly the same, with a 'Send Reference Request' button still there - now I'm not sure whether a reference request has been successfully sent or not.

On the GTTR help page it says regarding references:

"The reference history log records all the actions taken to obtain a reference from your principal referee and informs you when a reference has been provided. The log includes dates for the following:
    -your email to your principal referee to request a reference
    -our automated reminder email
    -all your reminder emails
    -receipt of your reference."

What is this 'reference history log'? Is it something that will only appear on my application -after- my referee has agreed to write a reference? I haven't been able to find it.

Sorry if I'm being totally paranoid. Any help welcome!

Also this is the first time I've used this site so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place!

ReputationRep:
    i could never find the reference history log either.
    sounds like your application is fine and the reference request should've gone fine. make sure you dont click that 'send reference request' button again though as it sends a new username/password thing for your referee that could cause problems/delays.
    you will get an email from the GTTR as soon as your referee logs in accepts to be your referee and again once the reference is completed and submitted.

ReputationRep:
    Yey I finally have a reference so I can pay and submit!!!

although no confirmation email :confused:

But everything is checked off on the form

ReputationRep:
    Yey I finally have a reference so I can pay and submit!!!

although no confirmation email :confused:

But everything is checked off on the form
    I finally got my reference sorted on Thursday! (A loooooong time coming!) I paid and sent it but haven't received anything confirming it - did you in the end? Everythings checked off on the form too!

ReputationRep:
    I finally got my reference sorted on Thursday! (A loooooong time coming!) I paid and sent it but haven't received anything confirming it - did you in the end? Everythings checked off on the form too!
    I think I got an email eventually but not 100 % and the welcome pack came in the post a few days later you should be able to get on to track very soon though, if you don't have your personal ID then you can just request to have it sent to you in an email and use it to log in (it's what I did as I didn't have a note of it and didn't want to wait for the letter

ReputationRep:
    My tutor STILL hasn't done my reference. Time to start panicking, I think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apron.boobsface)
    Know how you feel, I ended up emailing a few times and felt like a nag, but this is our future on the line! they must know the deadline. I explained I couldn't send mine off until they'd completed the form and that sped it up a little!
    Can you phone?

Good luck, I feel for you!

ReputationRep:
    anyone else been getting the "Invalid Main Subject or Time Spent" error on their education page? Won't let me save my education details

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retro21)
    anyone else been getting the "Invalid Main Subject or Time Spent" error on their education page? Won't let me save my education details
    I used to get that error message if there were numbers in the title of a module I was inputting, for example, "Edwardian Britain 1901-1914" [20 credits]; "Modern Germany 1815-1945" [20 credits].
    I eventually just condensed all this information down into something like "Modern European History" [10%]. I think they just want you to give them the general gist of what you did, like that.
    Hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
    thanks April. The problem seemed to be the inclusion of symbols like - / & and :

Once these were removed there were no problems. So you got me on the right track, cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apron.boobsface)
    give them a call or email and let them know you need it urgently, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Well I just rang my tutor, and he said "I'm doing them today," so it sounds like I'm not the only person from my uni he's putting in this position. I realise it's a bit of a burden on tutors to write these references, but then on the other hand it is their job, and it's going to be touch and go to see if the app. makes it in time! Don't they realise they're keeping us all on tenterhooks?!!

ReputationRep:
    it is not their job to supply references, and from what I've heard they are a pretty lengthy piece of work. Perhaps it would be wise to also consider what else your tutor has to do, like work, from his employer.

ReputationRep:
    it is not their job to supply references, and from what I've heard they are a pretty lengthy piece of work. Perhaps it would be wise to also consider what else your tutor has to do, like work, from his employer.
    You are right, but the tutor has also made a commitment to be a referee. They could say no if they wanted.

ReputationRep:
    I do appreciate the other work tutors have to do, hence my delaying chasing mine up until the penultimate day before the deadline. As Pansy says above, the tutor agreed to being a referee when they could have declined, so they have made a commitment.

Also, as educators, I would argue that do indeed have something of a duty to supply references: work from their employer (the university) is by definition the education of their students, equipping us with the tools to progress in life, so the provision of references evidences their ability to do their jobs properly.

ReputationRep:
    it's a bit of a reach. I appreciate they have a commitment after accepting it though, just didn't like the fact you expect them to do it when really it could be viewed as them doing you a favour by being your referee in the first place, I know I am grateful to my tutor for it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.