Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I got my A-levels in my 20s. And now I'm applying. Does this put me at a disadvantage?

I had some military service before I finished.

ReputationRep:
    Shouldn't do. One of my friends left school at 16 and got a job, went back to do A levels in her twenties then applied to med school with success.

If you can explain where the change of heart came from, and have a bit of work experience, and if your GCSE and A level grades are all up to scratch, then you're in basically the same place as everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylophonefairy)
    GCSE and A level grades
    what did you get for your GCSE and A level out of interest?

There's a woman on my course who did her A-levels in 1989 :yep:

Some medical schools (eg Bristol, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Birmingham and possibly others) say that if the qualifications required for entry are over a certain age then you need to retake them or do a one year Access to Medicine course so its best to check the requirements of the places you are interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rassam)
    what did you get for your GCSE and A level out of interest?
    4A*s, 5As and 3Bs at GCSE. 3 A's at A level (plus BBC at AS)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrackBaby)
    I got my A-levels in my 20s. And now I'm applying. Does this put me at a disadvantage?

I had some military service before I finished.
    Read this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.