Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The setting is in an isolated world where wizardry may or may not be real.

Suppose there was a man and Tom. The man came to Tom one day and claimed he's a wizard of past and presence. Then the man mumbled a spell that Tom couldn't understand. After that, the man somehow revealed to Tom saying, "I've removed this person's existence from this world and your past. Anyone or anything that knew him would have no memory of him whatsoever. The 'hole' in your memory (or anyone else's) where he once belonged would be justified with other means. The physical material where he once had owned would be disappear and justified, leaving no evidence of him in this world". Then the man continued, "This person is called *John Smith* " and Tom indeed, didn't know who is John Smith. It's either John has never existed or the wizard has had him removed from Tom's memory.

Now, if you were Tom.

Would you believe what the man said was true or you'll just think that the man was making up names? Why?

*Could be any random name

P/S I'm not looking for answer something like....
    "I wouldn't care about if the person has been removed from my memory or not, because since his non-existence has been 'justified' and wouldn't change any course of my life. I should move on"

P/P/S Sorry for any grammar or language mistake. English isn't my first language

ReputationRep:
    making up names since wizards dont exist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I-Am-God)
    making up names since wizards dont exist
    Question revised and updated. We do not know if wizard ever existed and even if the wizard existed, we do not know if this man is a wizard as he claimed to be. We ought to give him a benefit of doubt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manthew)
    Question revised and updated. We do not know if wizard ever existed and even if the wizard existed, we do not know if this man is a wizard as he claimed to be. We ought to give him a benefit of doubt?
    Why on earth would you give him the benefit of doubt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kim.gordon)
    Why on earth would you give him the benefit of doubt?
    Because as I've updated, Tom does not know whether if wizardry is real or not. It's the same as giving the benefit of doubt to the existence of Heaven and Hell, I suppose.

Suppose we assume Tom's world is indeed The Middle Earth (LOTR), would Tom believe the man or otherwise.
    p/s We still do not know if the man is a wizard or not.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.