Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently on a gap year, and towards the end of college tried to organise a YINI placement (I realise now most people start it the process way before this). Most probably due to applying too late, it pretty much fell though (if you didn't get a placement by mid September or so) and since have been trying to get some kind of work helping maths students (GCSE, A-Level) at my college/school. That also has just fell through. So I'm slightly worried how to go about reassuring universities I'll have a productive gap year and my maths skills won't get 'rusty', I am taking STEP/AEA next summer, is this enough?

ReputationRep:
    - Read books
    - Read textbooks
    - Attend lectures
    - Take STEP/AEA
    - Do an OU course on maths
    - Attend a maths summer camp

There are plenty of ways to study maths independently so I'd recommend doing as much of that as possible during your year.

On a more general level, does this mean you now have no plans for your year out? As in, no travelling, no job, nothing?

(Original post by v-zero)
    (Original post by Hashshashin)
    Both took gap years and might be able to offer more productive advice than me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    - Read books
    - Read textbooks
    - Attend lectures
    - Take STEP/AEA
    - Do an OU course on maths
    - Attend a maths summer camp

There are plenty of ways to study maths independently so I'd recommend doing as much of that as possible during your year.

On a more general level, does this mean you now have no plans for your year out? As in, no travelling, no job, nothing?

Both took gap years and might be able to offer more productive advice than me.

Thanks for the advice Simon. I do have plans to travel, and I definitely intend on getting a job, it's just that I would've hoped I'd have it sorted long before my application needed to be sent off. Since I would've thought saying I had intentions of getting a job, and travelling, aren't anywhere near as good as actually being in a worthwhile, maths related, job at that time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Thanks for the advice Simon. I do have plans to travel, and I definitely intend on getting a job, it's just that I would've hoped I'd have it sorted long before my application needed to be sent off. Since I would've thought saying I had intentions of getting a job, and travelling, aren't anywhere near as good as actually being in a worthwhile, maths related, job at that time.
    I don't think there are any "worthwhile, maths related jobs" which you can do in a YINI that would help you prepare for a maths degree. With this in mind, a gap year should be less about improving yourself for university and more about developing yourself for the future. In this sense, a YINI would be a valuable thing to have, some serious work experience which be a massive plus to future employers.

With this in mind, I would say that on your PS you should be aiming at, rather than showing off your gap year, keeping it short and relevant. Almost along the lines of "Yes I'm doing a gap year, but I will keep the maths up and be good when I get to university".

I don't know how strong this reasoning would hold with an admissions tutor, so take it with a pinch of salt.

ReputationRep:
    You could do a maths teaching work placement at your school maybe? If you contact your school I'm sure they'll have something for you to do!

Maybe some volunteering work even? Just to mix it up a bit, you don't want to do maths for ALL of your gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikita_atikin)
    You could do a maths teaching work placement at your school maybe? If you contact your school I'm sure they'll have something for you to do!
    He's just said it fell through.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there are any "worthwhile, maths related jobs" which you can do in a YINI that would help you prepare for a maths degree. With this in mind, a gap year should be less about improving yourself for university and more about developing yourself for the future. In this sense, a YINI would be a valuable thing to have, some serious work experience which be a massive plus to future employers.

With this in mind, I would say that on your PS you should be aiming at, rather than showing off your gap year, keeping it short and relevant. Almost along the lines of "Yes I'm doing a gap year, but I will keep the maths up and be good when I get to university".

I don't know how strong this reasoning would hold with an admissions tutor, so take it with a pinch of salt.
    Cheers Simon. So do you think it's worth mentioning the fact I plan on getting a job, and travelling? Or should I just keep to trying to show them my maths won't fade by doing the activities you mentioned before?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Simon. So do you think it's worth mentioning the fact I plan on getting a job, and travelling? Or should I just keep to trying to show them my maths won't fade by doing the activities you mentioned before?
    If you have concrete plans, mention them, otherwise don't bother. I can't think of anything lamer than "I'm going to try to get a job doing something" or "I'm going to go travelling somewhere". "I plan to go to Kenya to hike and help build a school" on the other hand... (Aside from being horribly cliche and dripping in "someone planed this for me")

ReputationRep:
    If you have concrete plans, mention them, otherwise don't bother. I can't think of anything lamer than "I'm going to try to get a job doing something" or "I'm going to go travelling somewhere". "I plan to go to Kenya to hike and help build a school" on the other hand... (Aside from being horribly cliche and dripping in "someone planed this for me")
    Haha yeah, it's kind of why I really didn't want to have to put "I plan on getting a job". Hopefully they'll not be too interested in looking for that and be more concerned about whether I'll be still working on maths.

ReputationRep:
    He's just said it fell through.
    ERRR READING TYPO!! Sorry :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikita_atikin)
    YINI isn't with your school though, is it? Sorry, my bad, I don't know much about YINI. I meant, do the teaching work placement thing privately without going through an external organisation. I'm sure the sixth form/school he went to wont say no to a former pupil. We had a few people on gap year who became teaching assistants at our school last year. Obv OP has to submit his CV and probably have a formal interview at his school.
    That's what I did, with my old college and school. Both said they didn't have any 'vacancies'.

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah, it's kind of why I really didn't want to have to put "I plan on getting a job". Hopefully they'll not be too interested in looking for that and be more concerned about whether I'll be still working on maths.
    I'd give them some outline of what you're going to do with it, but I'd think "earning money to go travelling" is just as good as reason to get a job as any other. (At least as far as admissions tutors will be concerned, and given that you can't get a placement at CERN this late).

ReputationRep:
    I'd give them some outline of what you're going to do with it, but I'd think "earning money to go travelling" is just as good as reason to get a job as any other. (At least as far as admissions tutors will be concerned, and given that you can't get a placement at CERN this late).
    Ah ok, so just briefly mention I plan on 'earning money for travelling and university" and leave it at that?

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, so just briefly mention I plan on 'earning money for travelling and university" and leave it at that?
    If you've got specific plans for your travels, I might mention that (especially if they're interesting!).

ReputationRep:
    If you've got specific plans for your travels, I might mention that (especially if they're interesting!).
    Thanks again Simon.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there are any "worthwhile, maths related jobs" which you can do in a YINI that would help you prepare for a maths degree.
    There are a few, I did one that would have helped me well if I had gone into more statistics related modules in my degree, but was still good practice anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sooz)
    There are a few, I did one that would have helped me well if I had gone into more statistics related modules in my degree, but was still good practice anyway.
    I'm intrigued...

ReputationRep:
    Did you read my post on your previous thread? Don't get caught up on what universities think, continuing study during a gap year matters less than you think. If you want to continue studying why are you even taking a year out?

Your maths ability will be slightly rusty but nothing that a single weeks work before term starts cannot fix. If universities thought it was detrimental they wouldn't even offer the option. Just make sure you do something constructive and don't just doss around at home for the year (although judging by this thread I highly doubt you're going to do that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Did you read my post on your previous thread? Don't get caught up on what universities think, continuing study during a gap year matters less than you think. If you want to continue studying why are you even taking a year out?
    In case any of my long convoluted posts didn't make this clear, this is exactly what I was getting at, just put better.

(If I remember, I'll rep you tomorrow)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)

Your maths ability will be slightly rusty but nothing that a single weeks work before term starts cannot fix. If universities thought it was detrimental they wouldn't even offer the option. Just make sure you do something constructive and don't just doss around at home for the year (although judging by this thread I highly doubt you're going to do that).
    I did apply for 2010 entry, but for engineering. I soon realised it was the wrong choice and withdrew, so I didn't intentionally plan on a gap year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.