Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I took a gap year, although mine was necessary (I didn't decide to actually do maths until after year 13, at which point I realised it would be useful to do Further Maths, AEA and STEP, so that I could apply to Warwick). I bought the FM textbooks on Amazon and read through them at home, and asked my old school to let me sit the exams there (though I still had to pay).

I got a job in a primary school tutoring maths to year 6 in preparation for their SATs - obviously it didn't help my own maths (although you'll remember so many things like how to multiply numbers in a column, or a grid.. and the level 6 papers are awesome, it's like a mini version of STEP, in that the questions are multi-part and are in an unfamiliar format.. they were awesome.. :moon: ), but it was genuinely enjoyable, and I made a little bit of spending money too for university

In terms of maths, I was happy enough reading Liebeck and doing STEP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    I did apply for 2010 entry, but for engineering. I soon realised it was the wrong choice and withdrew, so I didn't intentionally plan on a gap year.
    Fair enough. Well I suggest you start thinking about what you want to do. Be it travelling, getting a job (maths related or otherwise) or something else entirely (volunteering?). Don't worry about what will look good on your application. You could even lie if you want, it's not like they can check up on you.

Personally when I applied to universities (with deferred entry for maths) I just put down a sentence about the fact I was going to travel around south east Asia. I didn't put any focus on it in my PS because to be honest it's not important. Universities are mostly interested in your academic interests (up until the point you apply), and to a much much lesser extent extra-curricular's.

ReputationRep:
    I took a gap year, for similar reasons (changed my mind to do maths). However, I didn't study during it, apart from the preparation for STEP which fitted around a job and some volunteer work. And given that I had a gap year I thought may as well get some money and travel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    I'm intrigued...
    Well it was just a job that involved reading about and then applying university level stats to the particular thing that the company did. Good both in that I learnt some stats stuff (and some other concepts necessary to undertand it) and that it was good pratice for rreading about something and then thinking about the best way to apply it to the real life problem that I had.
    Much prefer other areas of maths to study academically though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    In case any of my long convoluted posts didn't make this clear, this is exactly what I was getting at, just put better.

(If I remember, I'll rep you tomorrow)
    Hiya Simon, do you happen to know which of the OU modules would be notable suitable for me?

ReputationRep:
    Worry less about what your going to give to mathematics, and worry more about what your going to take for yourself.

There is a big wide world out there, you have a year with which to explore it without any responsibilities or baggage. Seriously, travel, work, experience new things, meet new people. Universities (believe it or not) care about more than just grades, if you can show some enthusiasm and self motivation then that will be looked at very favourably. Your already planning to do STEP, which isnt the easiest thing, and if you already have the grades then at least travel for a while.

You have 3 years at uni, and 40 years of work afterwards. Enjoy your youth while you have it, it wont be there for ever.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 25, 2010

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.