Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Views of the political editor of the New Statesman (watch WHOLE video) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom_X)
    Perhaps you should read the latest CBI reports (i think its cbi), economic forecast trends and similarities in economic plans in countries like ireland ?

Orange Book =/= bible
    we are not ireland. a better comparison is germany.

we have a strong manufactoring base (8th biggest manufactorer in the world still) and are very strong in innovation. we are the country people send their kids to to get an education... we don't face the same issues as ireland ---> thats why the economist still appears to be supporting faster cuts.

HOWEVER i do agree with the CBI on protecting area's which aid innovation/business, such as funding for stem cell research that their are plans to cut, from cuts over other organs that seem to be protected, like the NHS, which could be cut at least a bit without causing the deaths of thousands of patients, like many labour types appear to believe.

Orange Book infact >/= bible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ithink)
    we are not ireland. a better comparison is germany.

we have a strong manufactoring base (8th biggest manufactorer in the world still) and are very strong in innovation. we are the country people send their kids to to get an education... we don't face the same issues as ireland ---> thats why the economist still appears to be supporting faster cuts.

HOWEVER i do agree with the CBI on protecting area's which aid innovation/business, such as funding for stem cell research that their are plans to cut, from cuts over other organs that seem to be protected, like the NHS, which could be cut at least a bit without causing the deaths of thousands of patients, like many labour types appear to believe.

Orange Book infact >/= bible
    As I recall, the economist also backed david miliband's economic strategy of slower cuts at half the rate (ie. the darling plan) too....
    and yes, CURRENTLY we have good education, services and innovation. Now, cutting indirectly affects all those bases, in particular education through higher tuition fees, immigration caps for legal migrants etc. and will most likely lead to an uneducated future workforce or a brain drain toward the east.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Regardless of your intentions or your reasons, if you voted Liberal Democrat in the last election, you become a Liberal Democrat voter.
    Like I said you know what he meant, he miss-spoke and its just pendantic to bring it up.

(Original post by Silly Goose)
    I never really got this 'wasted vote' thing. Surely, even if you vote for a party that has a good chance of winning, it's incredibly unlikely for your vote to make a difference anyway?

If you prefered Labour's policies, then you should have voted for them. If you prefered Lib Dem policies, you should be fine with a coalition since Proportional Representation (a Lib Dem policy) would cause one to happen virtually every single election.
    The point with the wasted votes is in some places it's a very tight race between two parties so every vote counts, but in others it's so clear who will win basically every vote is a 'wasted vote.'

(Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    I don't remember a Tory policy being "We will form a coalition with the Lib Dems" - it works two ways. But it was the only feasible way of forming a government; you can't have Labour and the Lib Dems forming a "losers" coalition - it'd be like Man Utd and Arsenal merging together at the end of the season to beat Chelsea.

If you knew about the Lib Dems, you'd realise that Nick Clegg, Vince Cable and Chris Huhne are some of the co-authors of the Orange Book, which, really, puts them closer to some of the Tories than Labour.
    Just because the lib dems are slightly closer to the torys then labour doesn't make them tory or have any relevance to what I said - although I agree everything you just said is right (apart from forming a coalition with labour not being able to form a workable coalition - or bringing football into the conversation.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silly Goose)
    I never really got this 'wasted vote' thing. Surely, even if you vote for a party that has a good chance of winning, it's incredibly unlikely for your vote to make a difference anyway?

If you prefered Labour's policies, then you should have voted for them. If you prefered Lib Dem policies, you should be fine with a coalition since Proportional Representation (a Lib Dem policy) would cause one to happen virtually every single election.
    The point with the wasted votes is in some places it's a very tight race between two parties so every vote counts, but in others it's so clear who will win basically every vote is a 'wasted vote.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tashalls)
    I dont remember 'we will form a coalition with the torys' ever being a policy of them .
    It was always obvious that, in a hung parliament situation, the Lib Dems would seek to go into a coalition, preferably with the largest party. That's utterly central to their position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tashalls)
    Yes, but unless the party you vote for wins by a single vote, your vote still didn't technically matter. So you might as well vote for the people you actually agree with.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.