The Student Room Group

Hate university and hate my flatmates

I wasn't sure where to put this because it's a personal problem, but it's because my flatmates are so awful. I moved into my halls a week last Saturday, and my flatmates are so inconsiderate that it's untrue. They go out and leave plates on the side, and Joe spilt cornflakes this morning and didn't even disinfect the work surface after he'd wiped them off. I'm at my wits end now. I thought that I'd be the good flatmate, and bought a bottle of washing up liquid for us all to share, and secretly kept a marker on it to view the progress of its use. Suffice to say, none of it's gone between my uses of it (which are everyday).

Last night was the straw that broke the camel's back. It was around 10:30pm, and I was getting ready for bed, but those idiots all came back from the pub singing 'won't you come home Bill Bailey' and were really loud. At first, being the considerate person that I am, I ignored it, and thought, 'oh well, who am I to ruin their fun, as long as they're being safe and considerate'. But then Harriet turned on her Ipod speakers and started dancing round the kitchen to 'Can't Fight the Moonlight' at full blast. I therefore went out my room and into the kitchen, and shouted at them to 'kindly shut the **** up because some of us actually have a 9am meeting with the Christian Union'.

I went back into my room, and I heard Olivia say, 'who put sand up her fanny?' Well I wasn't going to tolerate a jumped-up little madam saying that. So I went back into the kitchen and said to them that if they didn't turn it down, then they'd regret it, and Harriet said, 'oh go to bed and stop embarrassing yourself'. I saw red though and I pulled the speakers out of the wall (with the Ipod in) and put them into the sink which was full of water and broke it.

Harriet started really shouting in my face about what I'd done and so I slapped her to try and quieten her down, but then Olivia said, 'that was bang out of order' and I saw red again because I was the one who was provoked into breaking the stupid speakers and Ipod. I started to throw their dirty washing up across the kitchen and broke Harriet's special mug and threw Olivia's casserole dish at her and it smashed on the floor.

It all culminated in two of the guys having to hold me back, and I went back into my bedroom to cool off, but I've heard them all slagging me off now and it's really upsetting me. I know that they're going to make the next year awkward and horrible.

What can I do about it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go and live under a bridge. You won't have any housemates to bother you there!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Oh dear...btw LOL at who put sand up her fanny :rofl:
(edited 13 years ago)
Christ, lighten up.
You sound a bit of an arse to be honest. I call :troll:.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hmmmm I'm not surprised about the noise thing late at night. It is freshers week, it is to be expected. I had this problem so I just bought some foam earplugs.

Putting their stuff in the sink and breaking it is possibly the worst move you could have made. That is beyond childish, good luck on getting on with them now.
Reply 6
This all seems a bit far-fetched!
Reply 7
Riveting tale, chap
Reply 8
ily_em
Go and live under a bridge. You won't have any housemates to bother you there!

Oh why don't you take your **** and shove it up your arse? You won't know what it's like dealing with this; you're probably one of the ignorant underclass who does this kind of thing.
You pretty much bought this on yourself love!

They're freshers students. They don't give a ****.

Adapt to your environment! Disinfecting surfaces.

What a wuss.
10:30 isnt really that late for their frist week at uni :dontknow: if this was like a month in I would understand. I think you will just have to apologise, pay for the speakers and move on from the incident.
Reply 11
that sort of thing is goin to happen. your at uni. people want to have fun..
thats what your there for. just join in and have fun! lighten up!
Reply 12
Wow you are way too extreme. I think because of the way you are, it would be fun to wind you up and thats what they are doing.
You need to chill out.

Btw you were seeing red so i thought id upload a bull pic:p:
t
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Dont feed the :troll:
Reply 14
LOL. seriously though, who did put sand up your fanny?
"who put sand up her fanny"
:toofunny:

and in any case, i call :troll:
Reply 16
im not gunna lie i did laugh ahah
but its becauseeee you have seriously got to make the best of this oppertunity make new friends and what not the first week is the party fun week then it will settle down, i just think you may have been a bit OTT, just say sorrry!
All these things happen in uni...no big deal...just stop complaining and start enjoying your life...
Reply 18
im not gunna lie i did laugh ahah
but its becauseeee you have seriously got to make the best of this opportunity make new friends and what not the first week is the party fun week then it will settle down, i just think you may have been a bit OTT, just say sorrry!
Reply 19
I really got annoyed by inconsiderate people keeping me awake at university. It REALLY annoyed me in fact.
I won't lie, I enjoy a night out every so often (though not 5 times a week like my flat mates and hall mates seemed to do). But the difference is, when I went out, I'd keep the noise for the pubs and clubs. I know how annoying it is when you're trying to sleep and all you can hear are inconsiderate jocks running around the place like idiots. It's not fair.
Ok, so it's freshers' week. Maybe it would be wise to try and tolerate it for freshers' week. If it continues past that stage, warn them. If they do it again, you report them. Believe me, the halls staff will be more than happy to sort them out. It's your right to be able to sleep and study in peace. It's their right to go out and party and make a big noise, but they shouldn't do it next to your room.

As for the washing up, simply warn them once, if you don't wash your dishes and put them away, I'll place them in a pile on the floor next to your door. They'll get the picture if you keep doing it.
It's not about being winging and boring. I loved going out and having some nights. But, I expect to be able to wash my dishes without having to wash other peoples' dishes first, and I expect to be able to sleep at night.

I'm agreeing totally with you. I'm moving into my halls tomorrow (actually, it's more of a university owned student village of houses), and I'll bear with the **** for the first week, cos they're letting off steam. After that, I won't take any mick taking, and I'll be telling them to have fun, but to keep it down when they come back, and I'll do the same.
I'll have some more authority this time round cos' I'm 21!!! I did a year in Sheffield when I was 19 but hated the course. Now I'm more mature and more experienced!!! Watch out, grandpa's about.

Latest

Trending

Trending