Turn on thread page Beta

Experience with the Police - good or bad? watch

• View Poll Results: Experience with the Police - good or bad?
    Good
    50.00%
    Bad
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    Over the past few years, I've needed to call the Police on numerous occasions, and I've been shocked and very upset by the standard of service they provided. I always had it at the back of my mind that if I was ever in a dangerous/frightening position, and required the Police's help, they would provide that help. I just wondered what experience other people have had? It was while we were living in the same place for several years, so I'm not sure whether it was the police force in that particular area who were so unhelpful and ineffective, or whether this is a widespread issue that other people are suffering?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the locality you are living in...In the area I stay police are efficient...

ReputationRep:
    Well my bf got his wallet & phone nicked in a bar...the police drove us to the station, gave us cups of tea and drove us home in a riot van!

We went to the bar the next day and turns out the phone was handed back in as it was a **** phone, and the wallet had my bf's Oyster card missing...funnily enough it was the wallet that was worth money.

They were really helpful that night, I couldn't have thanked them more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    Well my bf got his wallet & phone nicked in a bar...the police drove us to the station, gave us cups of tea and drove us home in a riot van!

We went to the bar the next day and turns out the phone was handed back in as it was a **** phone, and the wallet had my bf's Oyster card missing...funnily enough it was the wallet that was worth money.

They were really helpful that night, I couldn't have thanked them more.
    Wow, that must have been a really exciting day! I'm glad to know it isn't a typical experience that I've had.

I love the pic in your sig, by the way!

Crap basically. My best friend and her Mum got the **** kicked out of them by a group of about 4 girls and 3 men (2 men held her Mum down whilst another guy beat her up), her Mum ended up with 2 black eyes, fractured cheek etc. My best mate was full of bruises and bumps all over her head. The police took statements the next day and thereby SAW what the fugly chavs had done, and did nothing. They said there wasn't enough evidence :stomp:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm pissed at them for giving me 3 conviction points. They ****** my insurance up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    Wow, that must have been a really exciting day! I'm glad to know it isn't a typical experience that I've had.

I love the pic in your sig, by the way!
    Hey thanks!

My case was pretty minor but I think when it involves thugs the police are a lil scared of modern thug youth. It is a shame.

ReputationRep:
    My experiences would probably be best termed mixed.

Traffic police - BAD! Arrogent, ignorent and unwilling to take responsibility for their own actions (the last one had dealing with at least)

Local police - great if they consider the matter an emergency, otherwise useless (unless you want a crime number).

Police where I used to live - Generally very good and in the case of one particular liasion officer, brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    The police are ***** that got bullied at school and are just looking for abit of power, that's why they love throwing drunks on the floor and shouting as much as they can, it drowns out the memories of them getting the **** kicked out of them at school, they pick easy targets like people falling out of bars but do a u turn when they see a gang of 16 year olds.

ReputationRep:
    The police have been nice. Last year we had stuff stolen from my boyfriend's house twice, and both times they were nice and while not there 10 mins after we rang which is understandable since the burglars had left, they were pretty fast in doing what they were supposed to. And then the other day a forensic guy came round because they'd caught one of the guys, and wanted to take his statement. He was very thorough and professional and impressed me.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I once had to ring the police as I was with a group of friends waiting to be picked up outside from our school after an evening event or something. We saw a group of lads break into the school sports hall and steal loads of sports equipment (including hockey sticks). They were acting a bit violent and smashing things up and for some reason decided to act violent towards us... we rang the police who turned up about 15 minutes later, the yobs scarpered and then the police (who didn't even get out of the car) just drove off.

So as a group of 15 year olds, we were then left on our own, in the dark with a bunch of yobs with hockey sticks who knew we'd called the Police. Yeah, that was a bit scary. Luckily, my friends Dad came and picked us up just at the right moment (as the yobs were closing in!!!) and took us to Tesco so we could buy the ingredients for Pancakes to cheer ourselves up!

ReputationRep:
    If my son or daughter become a cop, I'd disown them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    Hey thanks!

My case was pretty minor but I think when it involves thugs the police are a lil scared of modern thug youth. It is a shame.

I know a number of people in the police and can say they are really not.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by baby sexy)
    If my son or daughter become a cop, I'd disown them.
    If I was your son I would happily be disowned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    The media make them sound like ***** who only want to get motorists fined and let the thugs roam free. I actually think police are alright but when there was a group of youths causing trouble near my 'rents live they took aaaaaages to sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    Most of my encounters with police have been at football matches where they react completely over the top. One example : We were walking away from the ground with a group of away fans talking about the game and having a laugh, when the police see that we didn't support the same team, one of the gimps on a horse rode between us and told us to back off. Two other mounted gimps then came over and made us stay where we were until the away fans had gone over the bridge.

Coppers really get on my tits. The majority show absolutely no common sense what so ever. There is a copper that goes in the local pub quite a bit though and he is brilliant, he always has a laugh and isn't up himself. He admits that most coppers he works with are complete w*****s.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got jumped by 4 guys and I had to step in until the police got there. Everything was fine with the police. I'm more upset with the judicial system really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    If I was your son I would happily be disowned
    Touché

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    100% this.

The people that have a problem with the police are the ones who always have a reason to fear them, or have broken the law and hence been in trouble with them.

Of course, there's some power crazed officers around, just like any job really, but the majority are friendly and really helpful.

Always makes me laugh when people start hating on traffic cops. They're only hated on because the vast majority of people stopped by them have broken the law! People should drive properly then traffic cops are fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neillya1)
    100% this.

The people that have a problem with the police are the ones who always have a reason to fear them, or have broken the law and hence been in trouble with them.

Of course, there's some power crazed officers around, just like any job really, but the majority are friendly and really helpful.

Always makes me laugh when people start hating on traffic cops. They're only hated on because the vast majority of people stopped by them have broken the law! People should drive properly then traffic cops are fine.
    I'm one of the minority!
    My loathing of traffic police stems from being forced onto the hard shoulder of the motorway by one who decided to cut in infornt of me, whilst leaving insufficient space - evasive action was my only viable option (the other involved laying the bike down which is ill advised at any speed never mind at 70 mph). Had the officer been driving properly, there wouldn't have been a problem.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 24, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.