The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

neillya1
100% this.

The people that have a problem with the police are the ones who always have a reason to fear them, or have broken the law and hence been in trouble with them.

Of course, there's some power crazed officers around, just like any job really, but the majority are friendly and really helpful.

Always makes me laugh when people start hating on traffic cops. They're only hated on because the vast majority of people stopped by them have broken the law! People should drive properly then traffic cops are fine.

I have a problem with Police, and I've never had any reason to fear them
Reply 21
The Referee
I'm one of the minority!
My loathing of traffic police stems from being forced onto the hard shoulder of the motorway by one who decided to cut in infornt of me, whilst leaving insufficient space - evasive action was my only viable option (the other involved laying the bike down which is ill advised at any speed never mind at 70 mph). Had the officer been driving properly, there wouldn't have been a problem.

Then the officer was obviously a dick :p: Should have reported him. It's unfair though to base your perception of the entire branch on one officer/idiot. Like I said before, there's idiots in every organistation.

PrincessAriadne
I have a problem with Police, and I've never had any reason to fear them

Should have made myself clearer: Your problem is that they were inefficient/didn't do enough, that's fair enough from your experience. I was meaning the people like "**** da police" and "Coppers are pigs!1!11!" who just hate on them for no good reaon.
neillya1
Then the officer was obviously a dick :p: Should have reported him. It's unfair though to base your perception of the entire branch on one officer/idiot. Like I said before, there's idiots in every organistation.

I did report him...but it's pretty scary to think that drivers that dangerous are permitted to be in charge of police cars full stop (never mind being in the traffic police). Whe you come so close to a very serious accident, it's difficult for it not to affect your perceptions...how am I to know if the police car I can see in my mirrors is being driven by the less than steller driver who nearly brought me off my bike?

Any way, we were asked about our dealings with the police...it's safe to say that my major dealing with them was bad :yes:
Reply 23
neillya1
100% this.

The people that have a problem with the police are the ones who always have a reason to fear them, or have broken the law and hence been in trouble with them.

Of course, there's some power crazed officers around, just like any job really, but the majority are friendly and really helpful.

Always makes me laugh when people start hating on traffic cops. They're only hated on because the vast majority of people stopped by them have broken the law! People should drive properly then traffic cops are fine.

Agree with this. It seems to be only people who break the law ("but it's not their fault') that hate them, funny that. Having a bad experience with one doesn't mean they're all bad. The only Chinese people I have met have been complete utter ***** who I've wanted to impale with an umbrella. Do I hate all 1 billion of them, no, because that would be stupid.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
sponge man
The police are ***** that got bullied at school and are just looking for abit of power, that's why they love throwing drunks on the floor and shouting as much as they can, it drowns out the memories of them getting the **** kicked out of them at school, they pick easy targets like people falling out of bars but do a u turn when they see a gang of 16 year olds.

Couldn't agree more, I got dragged up by one and thrown against a shop window for a search all because I had a can of Carlsberg in my hand, To be honest I'd rather give my tax paying money to something worthwhile like Help For Heroes instead of the old bill all of them seem to think they are above the law.
Reply 25
PrincessAriadne
Over the past few years, I've needed to call the Police on numerous occasions, and I've been shocked and very upset by the standard of service they provided. I always had it at the back of my mind that if I was ever in a dangerous/frightening position, and required the Police's help, they would provide that help. I just wondered what experience other people have had? It was while we were living in the same place for several years, so I'm not sure whether it was the police force in that particular area who were so unhelpful and ineffective, or whether this is a widespread issue that other people are suffering?

This summer, about 100 of us were in the woods near the Lune and we had a night of heavy drinking and partying. We had a massive fire going and it turns out, the residents saw this and rang the police. The police got here, and we bricked it but all they said was "don't run, you aren't in trouble". They told us to put the fire out and let us stay! :top:
Reply 26
neillya1

I have no reason to fear them or have ever been in trouble with them. It's just their constant overkill, ineptitude and complete inefficiency which makes me dislike them generally.
Reply 27
I hate cops. Every experience I've had with them has only been made worse by their involvement, whoever called in the first place.
johno090
I have no reason to fear them or have ever been in trouble with them. It's just their constant overkill, ineptitude and complete inefficiency which makes me dislike them generally.

I feel the same. Obviously there are idiots in every profession, and I hope that in the future any dealings I have with them will be much better, but the experience I've had with them so far has left me with a real loathing for them.
BumperBo
Every experience I've had with them has only been made worse by their involvement, whoever called in the first place.

:frown:
My thoughts down to a T.
Aj12
If I was your son I would happily be disowned

This.
Reply 31
I think the current law system is ****, the police can't do much without fear of a criminal suing them for "catching them unawares" or something ridiculous like that.
Reply 32
Some good, some bad...
It depends why they get into it; for the cheap trills of superiority, or to do some good.

Latest

Trending

Trending