Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Student oyster vs 16-25 railcard Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm going to be studying in London, using the tube regularly, and I'm not sure whether it would be better to get a student oyster card or combine my current 16-25 railcard with a regular oyster card.

Any advice?

Thanks,
    Jorge

ReputationRep:
    Depends on whether you plan on buying a weekly/monthly/yearly ticket or using pay-as-you-go.

If the former, use the student oyster as you get a decent reduction on the price of season tickets. If the latter, combine the railcard with a regular oyster card as there's a lower daily cap on fares than without the railcard.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really a question as you can use your 16-25 railcard on your student Oyster anyway... It just depends as above whether you want to get a weekly/monthly pass...

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I didn´t realise that once you had the student Oyster card, you could then put the railcard on it.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    It's not really a question as you can use your 16-25 railcard on your student Oyster anyway... It just depends as above whether you want to get a weekly/monthly pass...
    Really?!

I have a student oyster that I load with a travel card each week (usually bus and tube) so with the student oyster it's something like £17 a week. You're telling me I can put my 16-25 railcard on the student oyster as well and get a further 1/3 discount?!

Would I have to be travelling on London overground services or does it apply to tube journeys?

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.