Turn on thread page Beta

Vera Wang Wedding Dress watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Exactly my point.
    I know, I was agreeing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheQueenOfComputerScience)
    Um what? I hope this wasn't aimed at me as I am not a bridezilla and am serving a bloody 5 course feast at my wedding, picked the venue based on how good the food is!
    No it wasn't aimed at you, but at all the weddings I know being planned at the moment. Although it does sound as though you are begrudgingly serving that feast...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    No it wasn't aimed at you, but at all the weddings I know being planned at the moment. Although it does sound as though you are begrudgingly serving that feast...
    Haha :p: i'm happily serving it. No dry chicken dinners here.

ReputationRep:
    Haha :p: i'm happily serving it. No dry chicken dinners here.
    Sounds good then! Hope you, your hubby to be, family and friends all have a lovely day. Where you going for the honeymoon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeLand)
    Sounds good then! Hope you, your hubby to be, family and friends all have a lovely day. Where you going for the honeymoon?
    Thanks! I hope it will be good too. Its weird I never thought I would be stressed about any of this but once you have put alot of thought, effort and money into the whole thing it becomes stressful cause if its crap i'll be dissapointed! I'm off to Jamaica .

ReputationRep:
    Oh btw 50 people is concidered a small wedding :eek: I know this because when I went to book a 50 person wedding I was met with "only 50?!".
    I litterally don't think me and my partner could ever get our numbers even to that!:eek: We both have really small families and we have the same group of friends!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzie101)
    I litterally don't think me and my partner could ever get our numbers even to that!:eek: We both have really small families and we have the same group of friends!
    Ha ha we kept it to people we would actually see on a regular basis. So immediate family and Johns' siblings partners, a few select aunts and uncles and close friends (we have differnt friends). I'm hoping with 50 we will be able to spend time with everyone and not have one of those crazy weddings where noone actully gets to talk to the couple.

If we had of invited all the various aunts, uncles, cousins and given people plus ones it would have been 200 easily, total hell!

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on, if someone wants to spend £2000+ on a wedding dress then what's wrong with that? A wedding is (hopefully!) a once in a lifetime thing and a bride should feel like a princess on her wedding day. If she wants to spend £1/2/3k on a dress or even just £100 on a dress then so be it.

Incidentally, I had a Maggie Sottero wedding dress. It was beautifully made and the detail was gorgeous, the fit of her dresses is so good. Im not overly keen on Vera Wang myself. I really like Benajmin Roberts and Essence of Australia.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the new thing for newly wed couples to do is ask for the guests to pay for their honeymoon rather than give them presents, so I was told by a customer in work today. Now thats odd!
    And if you want to pay alot of money on a dress, why not? A wedding is individual and to your own tastes, so everyones will be different prices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toothpaste-kisses*)
    Apparently the new thing for newly wed couples to do is ask for the guests to pay for their honeymoon rather than give them presents, so I was told by a customer in work today. Now thats odd!
    And if you want to pay alot of money on a dress, why not? A wedding is individual and to your own tastes, so everyones will be different prices.
    Thats not odd, and they put money into a honeymoon account usually opened with say Trail Finders so they help the couple with what they need - most couples dont need toasters/bedding/towels/blenders etc. cos they already have those things. And many English couples arent like the Americans who have Wedding China etc. so contributing towards their honeymoon treats them and alleviates financial pressure as they have all the costs of the wedding already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Thats not odd, and they put money into a honeymoon account usually opened with say Trail Finders so they help the couple with what they need - most couples dont need toasters/bedding/towels/blenders etc. cos they already have those things. And many English couples arent like the Americans who have Wedding China etc. so contributing towards their honeymoon treats them and alleviates financial pressure as they have all the costs of the wedding already.
    It is effectively just asking for money. I don't agree with gift lists either, think they are very rude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbm)
    I had a Maggie Sottero wedding dress.
    Which one? I love her dresses so much

ReputationRep:
    It is effectively just asking for money. I don't agree with gift lists either, think they are very rude.
    I agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    If you cant afford one, dont have one. I think asking for the money is just cheeky! Just like if you asked for expensive gifts. I dont think its right at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toothpaste-kisses*)
    If you cant afford one, dont have one. I think asking for the money is just cheeky! Just like if you asked for expensive gifts. I dont think its right at all.
    So you think its right they dont get anything to celebrate their marriage? Or would you prefer to give them something they dont want/need instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    I wore a beautiful blue silk dress on my wedding day last year (pic in my profile). It felt so lovely.
    You look beautiful and you both totally suit each other! Hope you're not offended but it looks more like a prom/party dress than a wedding dress? Anyhow it still looks lovely on you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mozfadz)
    You look beautiful and you both totally suit each other! Hope you're not offended but it looks more like a prom/party dress than a wedding dress? Anyhow it still looks lovely on you
    Thank you! No, don't worry, I wasn't looking for a wedding dress. Our wedding was in no way 'traditional' - we made it our own

ReputationRep:
    I didn't spend £2000 on my wedding dress, but if I had fallen in love with one that cost that much, I probably would have bought it.
    We had 14 people at our wedding, including me and my husband and it was exactly what we wanted. I just wanted to get married. And have a fab honeymoon, ha.
    Here is my dress:

ReputationRep:
    I find this expensive dress obsession crazy, especially for a 20 something year old who could spend her money on much more useful things. Maria Lucia Hohan is one of my favourite designers and her dresses are quite reasonably priced:

www.mlh-shop.com

More importantly, they're tasteful. There's nothing worse than looking overdressed at a wedding.

ReputationRep:
    So you think its right they dont get anything to celebrate their marriage? Or would you prefer to give them something they dont want/need instead?
    :ditto:

People will probably want to buy presents - a wedding list is a practical thing to do. Having only super-expensive presents on it might be rude -but then people can buy vouchers too...

I don't like Vera Wang dresses much either - too princessy.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.