Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ello (again),

Am I right in thinking that the only compulsary element to this degree is the S104 module?

I was going to do S104 in January and do some other random courses like French (L192) and Archaeology (SA188) in the meantime. Then in Level 2 and 3, I was going to do pretty much what it says to do in Plan B of B64 leading to it being Biology dominant.

Is this right?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Yes S104 is the only module truly compulsory module. However you still have to do practical modules but you can choose how you do them (residential schools or home-based) and you also have to pick a project course (but you can pick which one interests you the most). Everything else is a bit more free but you have to do most as S course codes or the optional modules listed on the qualification page. After you have done the necessary courses you can use up to 50 points from any OU courses.

Be aware that for Route B, that 2011 is the last year that the Level 2 residential schools will be running so you'll have to try and fit that into your first year if you are set on doing Route B. The Level 3 residential schools will be running for the last time in 2012 so again you will have to attempt to fit those in alongside your Level 2 courses.

I hope I've managed to be helpful, rather than confusing the issue further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunarsea)
    Hi,

Yes S104 is the only module truly compulsory module. However you still have to do practical modules but you can choose how you do them (residential schools or home-based) and you also have to pick a project course (but you can pick which one interests you the most). Everything else is a bit more free but you have to do most as S course codes or the optional modules listed on the qualification page. After you have done the necessary courses you can use up to 50 points from any OU courses.

Be aware that for Route B, that 2011 is the last year that the Level 2 residential schools will be running so you'll have to try and fit that into your first year if you are set on doing Route B. The Level 3 residential schools will be running for the last time in 2012 so again you will have to attempt to fit those in alongside your Level 2 courses.

I hope I've managed to be helpful, rather than confusing the issue further.
    Hi, thanks for your reply

Well confusion has set in (not for the last time either! :p: ).

You know the free 50 points you have - can you use these up at the start?

Well I'm not dead set on doing Route B at all really. What happens when those practical classes stop? If I did route A would be a whole new way to do the practical part to this degree?

Okay well I have had a look at Route A, I would do S104 for 60 points then Scientific Investigations for 10 points. Then it goes on to Level 2...I thought you had to do 120 points of each level. Okay it probably means a year.

The first lot of Level 2 are new I take it? Can't click on them for a description.

Sorry for all the questions, I thought I understood it all... Hehe if I can't get tot grips with this then maybe the OU is too difficult for me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    Hi, thanks for your reply

Well confusion has set in (not for the last time either! :p: ).

You know the free 50 points you have - can you use these up at the start?

Well I'm not dead set on doing Route B at all really. What happens when those practical classes stop? If I did route A would be a whole new way to do the practical part to this degree?

Okay well I have had a look at Route A, I would do S104 for 60 points then Scientific Investigations for 10 points. Then it goes on to Level 2...I thought you had to do 120 points of each level. Okay it probably means a year.

The first lot of Level 2 are new I take it? Can't click on them for a description.

Sorry for all the questions, I thought I understood it all... Hehe if I can't get tot grips with this then maybe the OU is too difficult for me!
    I don't see why you couldn't start up the 50 free points at the start, provided that you make a plan to make sure that you will also fit in the degree requirements.

Nah it's not 120 per level. It's 240 points must come from courses above level 1 and of these points 120 must be at level 3.

Yes, the level 2 course, S288, is new and still in development. I don't know much about it, but it is supposed to give you practical experience. You don't HAVE to do S155 for your level 1 practical, you could do SXR103 (a residential school that I believe will remain for the foreseeable future) instead if you want.

Nothing particularly terrible happens if you can't do the residential schools, as you are planning doing B64. You just won't be able to complete Route B and you will have to do Route A of S288 instead of the Level 2 and 3 residential schools. So really not much difference.

Yes, the level 2 course, S288, is new and still in development. I don't know much about it, but it is supposed to give you practical experience. You don't HAVE to do S155 for your level 1 practical, you could do SXR103 (a residential school that I believe will remain for the foreseeable future) instead if you want.

Don't worry about not understanding it, it's not an easy system by any means. I still get confused at times.

My advice is to make a spreadsheet for both routes and see what courses you want to do so you can work out which route you want to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunarsea)
    I don't see why you couldn't start up the 50 free points at the start, provided that you make a plan to make sure that you will also fit in the degree requirements.

Nah it's not 120 per level. It's 240 points must come from courses above level 1 and of these points 120 must be at level 3.

Nothing particularly terrible happens if you can't do the residential schools, as you are planning doing B64. You just won't be able to complete Route B and you will have to do Route A of S288 instead of the Level 2 and 3 residential schools. So really not much difference.

Don't worry about not understanding it, it's not an easy system by any means. I still get confused at times.

My advice is to make a spreadsheet for both routes and see what courses you want to do so you can work out which route you want to go.
    Thanks again for your help with this.

What lead me to believe it was 120 for each level was the table at the bottom of this page -

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/explain...t-points.shtml

I'm not thinking about doing the Open Degree then when I'm used to all this change it to the B64 if I want to. I just want to get going, hope it's not too late or anything. I bet most people sort this out in June!

Thanks for your help

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.