Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Absolutely raging at the school being *******s about my predicted grades! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    Really? As a medicine applicant? How did that turn out?
    Alright, I got 3 interviews so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Alright, I got 3 interviews so...
    But I suppose Cambridge is an altogether different matter :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Gap Years are fun
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I sort of have a plan.

I am going to a private school on monday evenings to get help with my maths application - I was thinking about getting the maths guy to write a letter detailing how important these predicted grades are in regards to getting even an interview?

Then if that doesn't work, I'm going for the 'ol parents meeting with the head teacher.

Then I'll really kick up a fuss - MP, head of education services at the council, local paper - should sort 'em out. Still ridiculous that I should even think of going through all that though
    I'm quite looking forward to reading that local newspaper headline: "Petulant brat stomps foot but school stands firm".

ReputationRep:
    But I suppose Cambridge is an altogether different matter :lol:
    Cheers mate :o:

ReputationRep:
    Get your loudest most stubborn and supportive parent round to them ASAP. Make a big fuss out of the whole thing, talk to the trustees, etc etc etc and they should give in. Plus you sound really clever with a great grade-background so it shouldnt be much of a problem really, Idk why they're being difficult.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ithoughtofthis)
    Get your loudest most stubborn and supportive parent round to them ASAP.
    How many does he have to choose from? :eek:

Idk why they're being difficult.
    Perhaps the OP is not as good as he thinks he is?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I've been made dux of the school, and I got AAAAA in my Scottish Highers last year, all band ones(typically above 85%).

I want to apply to Cambridge to do Maths, so yeah I kinda need top predictions to begin to compete.

But the school are saying they are only going to predict some of my Advanced Highers at Bs!!! I'm so angry, it's like an English student being predicted Bs for their A levels! How am I even supposed to get an interview with only Bs predicted? My application will just be laughed out of town

And this gets worse - one of the assistant heads said that the predictions are solely a one way thing and I have no input. I'm working my ass off already, and I think this is a complete insult. It will ruin my future, these people at the school are going to ruin my chances of a sniff at Cambridge and severely hinder my Warwick application. I'm so angry right now, what can I do to get this changed?

I know a lot of you will just say it's tough if they won't change their mind but I need better than this, is there anything I can do to help make them change their ways? I'm so worried about this, I don't want my life to be ruined, please help
    do you go to a **** school or a private school or a half decent public school?

ReputationRep:
    get a private referee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)

The OP got the top grades last year; it seems sensible he should get predicted the top grades this year.

I don't think predicting students a grade lower than they achieved is a very fair policy.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to take a gap year, I don't see why I should just because of the school being a load of tosspots.
    Yeah it's extremely unfair to be honest. Perhaps you should consider contacting the board of governors or writing to Cambridge and explaining your situation perhaps? Best of luck whatever happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Two, I believe.

(Original post by Mr M)
    NO. I BELIEVE IN HIM! :yep:
    Good luck, OP.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I've been made dux of the school, and I got AAAAA in my Scottish Highers last year, all band ones(typically above 85%).

I want to apply to Cambridge to do Maths, so yeah I kinda need top predictions to begin to compete.

But the school are saying they are only going to predict some of my Advanced Highers at Bs!!! I'm so angry, it's like an English student being predicted Bs for their A levels! How am I even supposed to get an interview with only Bs predicted? My application will just be laughed out of town :mad:

And this gets worse - one of the assistant heads said that the predictions are solely a one way thing and I have no input. I'm working my ass off already, and I think this is a complete insult. It will ruin my future, these people at the school are going to ruin my chances of a sniff at Cambridge and severely hinder my Warwick application. I'm so angry right now, what can I do to get this changed?

I know a lot of you will just say it's tough if they won't change their mind but I need better than this, is there anything I can do to help make them change their ways? I'm so worried about this, I don't want my life to be ruined, please help :mad:
    Go to the headteacher and the board of Governors if you have to. You're right to be pissed, that's abysmal.

ReputationRep:
    As someone has said on here already has any one else been predicted A's? It might be the schools choice not to predict A's for some reason or other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    He says:

"Ok, so I've been made dux of the school, and I got AAAAA in my Scottish Highers last year, all band ones(typically above 85%)."

Why would you predict him lower than an A? What other factors do teachers take into consideration when predicting grades (apart from the schools history with predicted grades and actual attained grades because I can see how that would be a justification for a lower predicted grade)?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    NO. I BELIEVE IN HIM! :yep:
    Good luck, OP.
    Ha ha. Ok.

ReputationRep:
    Well, considering your school won't budge, I presume you won't have any other choice but to take a gap year, should you wish to apply to Cambridge.

edit: or kick up a fuss. That's what I'd do. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    x
    Get your parents to give the school a buzz :tong: Seems the obvious solution.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    He says:

"Ok, so I've been made dux of the school, and I got AAAAA in my Scottish Highers last year, all band ones(typically above 85%)."

Why would you predict him lower than an A? What other factors do teachers take into consideration when predicting grades (apart from the schools history with predicted grades and actual attained grades because I can see how that would be a justification for a lower predicted grade)?
    I wouldn't predict him lower than an A. However, I don't think the way to resolve this matter is to try to threaten and bully the Headteacher. My reply would be that it might be best if the OP leaves at the earliest opportunity so that he can attend a school or college that more closely meets his requirements.

If the OP is as good as he says, he will impress at interview and Cambridge will make him an offer. Predicted grades are pretty unimportant. TSR has a distorted idea of their value. This issue will certainly not affect his Warwick application as they have a standard offer and do not pay any attention to predicted grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    Not everybody can be predicted top grades...it would kind of defeat the point of them.
    He deserves top-grade predictions though. :facepalm: His academic record is exceptional. He got the Dux award, given to the top academic in a school, and yet he's being predicted Bs for Advanced Higher. It's ridiculous.

No, I do not want to take a gap year, and in any case I don't see why I should be forced to take a year out of my life just because of the schools fallibility regarding this :/
    Get your parents to meet with your headmaster, explain the importance of being predicted all As and more importantly why you DESERVE them. Given your academic record it's blatantly obvious you'll get 4As for your Advanced Highers with little trouble, and I'm sure your headmaster can appreciate that.

If that doesn't work, then you have no choice with regard to the gap year. Is postponing university for a year REALLY that bad if it gives you a shot at Cambirdge/Warwick.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.