Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Absolutely raging at the school being *******s about my predicted grades! watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Without disclosing private info, I will say that I think it's very unlikely Mr M is lying here (and although he could be mistaken, I think that is also unlikely. He has good reasons for saying what he does).
    Fame is a fickle mistress. They hang on my every word over in Education and Teaching!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derangedyoshi)
    Well, he knows he got all A1s at Higher, which is a great achievement, and you can always find out your actual mark from the school or from the SQA. But, yeah, the SQA doesn't tell you your marks (or even your bands) on the certificate, so this point is true.
    Yeah, you can find out, unless some incredibly obstinate teachers like I had refuse to tell you your actual marks :rolleyes:

(But obv yours were more forthcoming, congrats on those results!)

ReputationRep:
    Get both your parents to come in and calmly go crazy. don't take no for an answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Without disclosing private info, I will say that I think it's very unlikely Mr M is lying here (and although he could be mistaken, I think that is also unlikely. He has good reasons for saying what he does).
    Have discussed a bit over PMs with Mr M.

Look to be honest, this discussion is not of tremendous relevance anyway. Judging from his tone, the OP's almost definitely going to apply to Cambridge this cycle. If predicted grades don't mean that much to Cambridge, then he'll get an interview and there won't be a problem. And if they do (and he gets rejected before interview) he'll just have to re-apply during gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerGoat)
    Yeah, you can find out, unless some incredibly obstinate teachers like I had refuse to tell you your actual marks :rolleyes:

(But obv yours were more forthcoming, congrats on those results!)
    thanks
    I think you can actually get them directly from the SQA - Data Protection Act says if you give them a small amount of money (£10 IIRC) they have to tell you. Either way, the English system has the advantage where marks are concerned - I did GCSE Religious Studies and on results day you get your actual marks online. It would be so much easier if the SQA did that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derangedyoshi)
    thanks
    I think you can actually get them directly from the SQA - Data Protection Act says if you give them a small amount of money (£10 IIRC) they have to tell you. Either way, the English system has the advantage where marks are concerned - I did GCSE Religious Studies and on results day you get your actual marks online. It would be so much easier if the SQA did that.
    It would be much better.
    Mind you would've been a bit of an anticlimax if when i got 3As at AH only to find they were all scraped Band 2's :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    Not everybody can be predicted top grades...it would kind of defeat the point of them.
    No, your teachers are supposed to predict what they think you will actually achieve. Hence the predicted grade.

Seems as if your school are playing it a little too safe. I think you should pursue it further.

ReputationRep:
    Grow up for ***** sake.There's probably a substantiated reason why they are doing this.One they are not mind readers and you may well **** up an exam/struggle with some content,and you could have an immaculate record, and still get what you percieve to be the dreaded "B".Secondly,as wrong as it sounds,its got the right reaction out of you.They know,you won't be happy with a "B",so will work harder.Its a tried and tested technique,to stop people resting on their laurels and arguing that a previous history of achievement will see them through.If you are a top scholar at your "crappy" school,then the declaration of your UMS marks on your UCAS,will show tutors and admissions directors otherwise,and your teachers maybe underestimating your alleged brilliance.Tutors must know there will be fluctuations in the accuracy of predictions from centre to centre,teacher to teacher.Its not the end of the world anyway.Many people have achieved in face of doubt/adversity,or even without a university education at all(Alan Sugar,Jeremy Clarkson etc).David Miliband's A levels read BBBD,and he was the Foreign Secretary,and now prospective Labour leader(See Wikipedia for the rest of his academic career).Its not always about how academically brilliant you are,its about being a rounded person,and showing a degree of shrewdness and initiative (which often can't be taught).You'll fit in somewhere.A rule of thumb to remember is that no matter how well you do at something,someone somewhere, will always go one better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReichMark)
    Grow up for ***** sake.There's probably a substantiated reason why they are doing this.One they are not mind readers and you may well **** up an exam/struggle with some content,and you could have an immaculate record, and still get what you percieve to be the dreaded "B".Secondly,as wrong as it sounds,its got the right reaction out of you.They know,you won't be happy with a "B",so will work harder.Its a tried and tested technique,to stop people resting on their laurels and arguing that a previous history of achievement will see them through.If you are a top scholar at your "crappy" school,then the declaration of your UMS marks on your UCAS,will show tutors and admissions directors otherwise,and your teachers maybe underestimating your alleged bruilliance.Its not the end of the world anyway.Many people have achieved in face of doubt/adversity,or even without a university education at all(Alan Sugar,Jeremy Clarkson etc).David Miliband's A levels read BBBD,and he was the Foreign Secretary,and now prospective Labour leader.Its not always about how academically brilliant you are,its about being a rounded person,and showing a degree of shrewdness and initiative (which often can't be taught).You'll fit in somewhere.
    Disagree. Firstly, to all English people, take the time to check whether it's a Scottish person. North of the border, there is no such thing as a UMS mark. Anyway, the whole point is that this person, having achieved 5 A1s at Higher (no mean feat) potentially needs to be predicted As to get a shot at Cambridge and his school won't do it for him. The other important issue is that in Scotland a B is 60-69%, not like England. It is very unfair that someone who got >85% in all 5 exams last year is being predicted to get <70% in each subject this year. So, to give you some of your own advice, grow up, and maybe read some of the thread before you start insulting the OP.

ReputationRep:
    Grow up for ***** sake.There's probably a substantiated reason why they are doing this.One they are not mind readers and you may well **** up an exam/struggle with some content,and you could have an immaculate record, and still get what you percieve to be the dreaded "B".Secondly,as wrong as it sounds,its got the right reaction out of you.They know,you won't be happy with a "B",so will work harder.Its a tried and tested technique,to stop people resting on their laurels and arguing that a previous history of achievement will see them through.If you are a top scholar at your "crappy" school,then the declaration of your UMS marks on your UCAS,will show tutors and admissions directors otherwise,and your teachers maybe underestimating your alleged brilliance.Tutors must know there will be fluctuations in the accuracy of predictions from centre to centre,teacher to teacher.Its not the end of the world anyway.Many people have achieved in face of doubt/adversity,or even without a university education at all(Alan Sugar,Jeremy Clarkson etc).David Miliband's A levels read BBBD,and he was the Foreign Secretary,and now prospective Labour leader(See Wikipedia for the rest of his academic career).Its not always about how academically brilliant you are,its about being a rounded person,and showing a degree of shrewdness and initiative (which often can't be taught).You'll fit in somewhere.A rule of thumb to remember is that no matter how well you do at something,someone somewhere, will always go one better.
    I don't give a flying **** what the school thinks I'll get. All I care about these predictions is what the university thinks. So no, it will not make me work harder to "prove the school wrong". I know what I am capable of, I don't need an infantile challenge which decides my future.

Secondly, actually read the full OP. I do Scottish exams, so I can't disclose UMS marks as they are for A level.

Thirdly, use paragraphs. Now get the **** off my thread

ReputationRep:
    If you've already got good grades towards your Highers (like AS levels) Maybe predicted grade wont be as important..

ReputationRep:
    Far be it more me to say,but I think you seem to have a very high opinion of yourself and something of an attitude,and this is certainly something the tutors you are trying so hard to impress,will not be as keen on,even if you are an absolute genius.How do you know what your capable of,if you haven't done it yet,things never go to plan,as i'm sure your experiencing with this episode about not being predicted the grades you want.Surely,how can you be one of the highest scoring students if there's no way of telling what mark you got.If you got full marks on one subject(an A), and someone else scrapped it just(an A),your telling me that theres no way that admissions directors would know the difference, even if this maybe 20% or so of the entire years marks?

The whole epsiode seems a storm in a teacup,i'm sure you'll clear it up. Have you spoken to your friends(assuming you've got any left,if you show them the attitude you've shown me),asking if they are they in a similar situation.

ReputationRep:
    Far be it more me to say,but I think you seem to have a very high opinion of yourself and something of an attitude,and this is certainly something the tutors you are trying so hard to impress,will not be as keen on,even if you are an absolute genius.How do you know what your capable of,if you haven't done it yet,things never go to plan,as i'm sure your experiencing with this episode about not being predicted the grades you want.Surely,how can you be one of the highest scoring students if there's no way of telling what mark you got.If you got full marks on one subject(an A), and someone else scrapped it just(an A),your telling me that theres no way that admissions directors would know the difference, even if this maybe 20% or so of the entire years marks?

The whole epsiode seems a storm in a teacup,i'm sure you'll clear it up. Have you spoken to your friends(assuming you've got any left,if you show them the attitude you've shown me),asking if they are they in a similar situation.
    No. I got band 1s. Which is greater than 85%. an A band 2 is 70%.

Yes I may have an attitude but I think my academic record speaks for itself. I know, and I'm sure the teachers know I am capable, I think it's just they want to predict people lowly so it makes them look good if everyone's exceeding their targets :rolleyes:

I got predicted AABBB last year, with the As being band 2s as well. I got 5 band 1s. Just goes to show how wrong they can be. I didn't mind so much last year, as it had no bearing to my university application, but now these predictions can and will shape my life, I think I should take a more pro-active role in trying to increase them.

ReputationRep:
    I felt sorry for you at first and was gonna give some proper advice or at least try to cheer you up or something. Then I was reading comments and replies... You have this attitude that is just annoying. You think very highly of yourself and you don't even know that ?! Although I know this must have been tough for you but I could see why the teachers are doing this to you. They just hate some people and predict them lower than normal.

No i'm not bitter at all, just being honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    No, I do not want to take a gap year, and in any case I don't see why I should be forced to take a year out of my life just because of the schools fallibility regarding this :/
    Sorry, haven't read the rest of the thread after this, so I may have missed more argument on this point--I apologize if I'm repeating someone else's point.

Use parent-pressure like someone said. That is an extremely good way to make the school get their act together. Arm your parents with your achieved grades and send them to see someone in authority, tell them to be very calm and composed but explain firmly that you achieved high As in your Highers and can achieve the same at Advanced Higher. Get them also to explain your situation with application, and that alternatively you will be forced to go directly to the university and say that your school has been unreasonable.

Failing all of this. Applying in a gap year is not such a terrible thing. You aren't taking a 'year out of your life' if you just spend the time considering what to do with it, so that it's constructive. I faced a similar situation (though my predictions were not quite as blatantly inaccurate as yours), and decided after results day to re-apply.

Already I've got my plan solid and I'm happy with this entire year, doing

a) Full Maths A Level
    b) An extended internship with my MP (2 days a week, all year)
    c) Working for cash, so I can afford to travel, probably to Hong Kong (after a short Mandarin course) in the summer.

Basically my point is, with months to figure out what you'll do with it (if your predictions are unreasonable still, and you are rejected) you can do something really constructive with your gap year which will strengthen your app further.

But by all means, do everything you can to change those predictions or go directly to the universities, before taking that option.

ReputationRep:
    No. I got band 1s. Which is greater than 85%. an A band 2 is 70%.

Yes I may have an attitude but I think my academic record speaks for itself. I know, and I'm sure the teachers know I am capable, I think it's just they want to predict people lowly so it makes them look good if everyone's exceeding their targets

In reference to the Top line,will the tutors not know this? i'm sure your MTG's (the AABBB) would included on your form(based on your version of GCSE's, before you start college/6th form),as they were for everyone at our college,and they can see your actual grades,compared to your predictions.The educational term "Value added" would be useful here,as they look for potential,as well as academic excellence.You(and Ellie.Nguyen) hit the nail on the head.A gung-ho attitude is gonna make no headway with teachers,particulary on this issue.Look at the amount of times you've started a sentence with "I think" or similar.I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but your opinion is only one of many that actually count in this process.

Many people have academic records that "speak for themselves".In terms of teacher target busting,as I said earlier thats a universal practise,and usual educational sector politics, and the side effect of operating in a system in which targets( and if and by how much they are beaten) determines budgets.A teacher told me once,as soon as we arrived at 6th form,they were already interested in shipping us out again.

I completely refuse to accept that this will shape your life as much as you claim.A degree from any respected institution will put you in good stead,and having never actually met you,and assuming you are as clever as you claim,you'll do fine whatever you turn your hand to.UCAS has an "Adjustment" facility for those that beat their target grades,so this maybe a possibility.

ReputationRep:
    The SAQ will mean that Cambridge get to see your band 1s won't it? and get your referee to say that it is not school policy to predict A at advanced higher, but that is what you will be aiming for, then just go from there, it may be that Cambridge auto-reject on your predicted grades, but you may as well apply.
    From what you've said i'd say you'd get further with the referee than with trying to change the predicted grades

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't really help me - I've had top grades throughout my school life and now they do this?! Do you have any real advice or shall I have to tell you to get off my thread?
    Is this like AS where the uni's don't see your grades from this year, just your predicted grades?

If so, mention your grades in your personal statement.

My school insisted on predicting a friend of mine a B for A2 Maths even though by the time he was applying, he needed eight marks in his last exam to get an A. He mentioned how his maths was up to that point in his PS, now doing Maths at Bristol (he ballsed up STEP, but had the offer from Cambridge).

At any rate, isn't there some sort of form for Cambridge where you fill in your module marks, so they'll see for themselves your school are just being *****?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I've been made dux of the school, and I got AAAAA in my Scottish Highers last year, all band ones(typically above 85%).

I want to apply to Cambridge to do Maths, so yeah I kinda need top predictions to begin to compete.

But the school are saying they are only going to predict some of my Advanced Highers at Bs!!! I'm so angry, it's like an English student being predicted Bs for their A levels! How am I even supposed to get an interview with only Bs predicted? My application will just be laughed out of town :mad:

And this gets worse - one of the assistant heads said that the predictions are solely a one way thing and I have no input. I'm working my ass off already, and I think this is a complete insult. It will ruin my future, these people at the school are going to ruin my chances of a sniff at Cambridge and severely hinder my Warwick application. I'm so angry right now, what can I do to get this changed?

I know a lot of you will just say it's tough if they won't change their mind but I need better than this, is there anything I can do to help make them change their ways? I'm so worried about this, I don't want my life to be ruined, please help :mad:
    Involve your parents and have them make a complaint to the headteacher/school governers?

ReputationRep:
    Why are people being so harsh to this david guy. If he got 5 As for the first year, you cannot expect to be predicted less. Almost in every school the A2 predictions are always higher than the AS marks. Your school is ******!

I study A levels but if this happened to me i would go insane i.e (talk to head of year showing marks and if that fails get parents involved).

I understand that his attitude sucks, but i do alao understand that these predicted would have caused this.

I hope it can be resolved. Good luck.

Kebabmonk

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.