Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently struggling with maths right now, and I'm really wanting to improve . How would I go about doing this ? I look at questions and I don't know where to start on them, however if I am given a prompt at the beginning, I can end up with getting it right, but its the start which is the problem. I got an A* at GCSE maths , but that was because my teachers were amazing, however now that is not the case. . Any advice would be appreciated greatly. I'm doing C1 , C2 and S1 this year.

Does anyone also have any resources that they found useful ? Eg what textbooks/ revision guides or internet sites ?

ReputationRep:
    Just practice the questions in your textbook and go over the examples. If you get stuck ask a teacher for help and then try and do the question yourself.

ReputationRep:
    get the cgp books (really good books) and if you're doing the cambridge course, you're screwed. youtube helped me greatly with the trigonometry. make some notes that put every single step down so that a diseased babboon could do them.

ReputationRep:
    Just ptractice practice practice its all you can do.

ReputationRep:
    do every question in the book i mean EVERY!! that will get u a B at least in the exams you will know what will come up before it even comes up lol

ReputationRep:
    Revise like this...

1) Print off past exam paper... do it.
    2) Grade yourself.
    3) Go through questions you didn't get.
    4) Write down iffy topics and spend an hour going over each of them with your text book.
    5) Repeat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cvyifufvhgikugol)
    get the cgp books (really good books) and if you're doing the cambridge course, you're screwed. youtube helped me greatly with the trigonometry. make some notes that put every single step down so that a diseased babboon could do them.
    Cambridge course as in OCR ? I'm doing OCR

Why ?

Also, does anyone recommend the Edexcel text books for C1 even though I'm on OCR ? I've heard from my friends that they're good at explaining concepts and what not .

ReputationRep:
    Usually with maths questions they want you to use a particular method. It's not always straight forward what the method is, but with practice it becomes easier to see what the question is asking. Also bear in mind that questions (which are generally multipart questions) are carefully structured to lead you through them.

Just try and practice as many exam questions as you can. Some people find it easier to go in the right direction than others I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for the advice , This is the book:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 24, 2010

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.