Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying at the University of Leeds, and for my first year, I got a low 2.1 (61.5%). I was quite disappointed with this, as I expected to get higher, and thought I'd get a higher mark in some modules. I know first year doesn't count, but it's worried me for getting a 2.1 in my last 2 years.

I only did the minimum in my first year (I went to every lecture/seminar), and only read books for essays. However, for my second year I'd really like to step it up a bit, and aim for a high 2.1 (and if I'm lucky.. a first!)

I'm not sure what percentage my 2nd and 3rd years are of my overall degree classification, but I really want to try my hardest, especially with a 12hr job too.

I'm thinking of doing some reading around the modules (for the seminars and lectures etc)... I'm thinking about reading 2 books a week, then using them to add notes around my lecture and seminar notes. Is that the kind of thing I need to start doing?

Is it still possible to get a 2.1 or a 1st with a 12 hour job?

Also, is there anything else I can do to work harder to get a higher second year grade?

Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    What's costing you marks on the essays? get feedback off the turors and concentrate on those areas. also ask at the library about athens cos your tutors are certainly going to want to see you refering to those in your 2nd year.

ReputationRep:
    ... 'those' meaning journal articles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamMac)
    I'm not sure what percentage my 2nd and 3rd years are of my overall degree classification, but I really want to try my hardest, especially with a 12hr job too.
    Check this. It helps you know how much time to spend on different things. It always amazes me how some people can go through their whole degree without finding out what decides their final degree class.

I'm thinking of doing some reading around the modules (for the seminars and lectures etc)... I'm thinking about reading 2 books a week, then using them to add notes around my lecture and seminar notes. Is that the kind of thing I need to start doing?
    That will obviously help a bit but, as Joinedup said, feedback is really crucial to find out where you're losing marks.
    Depends somewhat on natural ability, but I reckon most students spend a lot more than 12 hours a week doing entirely unproductive things (I certainly do), so you should be fine.

If it's any encouragement, I was in a similar position to you at the end of first year (albeit doing a science subject). Got by in first year without really putting much effort in and got a low 2.1; a bit more focus and work in second year got me up to a good first.

My friend did some bonkers hours during the 3rd year (30+), most important year, and she managed to get an overall First. A lot of her assignment marks were awarded First's.

So it's do-able! But I honestly wouldn't recommend overloading yourself with work, especially in the 3yr.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.