Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone knows of any alternative graduate schemes to the Civil Service Fast stream and NGDP? Im looking for something similar but these schemes seem really competitve so wondered if there was anything similar?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The Fast Stream is the only scheme that is not included in the CS recruitment freeze. We don't know how long the freeze will continue. hopefully only til next year

ReputationRep:
    The only other one I know of is the GLS (Government Legal Service) but you need a law degree and it isn't easy to get into either. It is also excluded from the recruitment freeze.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you both I don't have a law degree I wanted to get into some sort of policy work, but I don't know what other options I have to get a career in that area?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flame123)
    Thank you both I don't have a law degree I wanted to get into some sort of policy work, but I don't know what other options I have to get a career in that area?!?
    Try looking at some of the smaller NGOs for policy work.

ReputationRep:
    Thinktanks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flame123)
    It won't be easy getting into policy work in general at the moment because there are lots of soon-to-be-ex-civil servants some of whom will be going for those very policy posts within private sector lobby groups and the charity sector roles too.

The best advice I can give to people out there is to start building your longer term voluntary work links with those bodies now, so that you have a greater chance of getting your foot in the door later on.

The website http://jobs.thirdsector.co.uk/ will give you a feel for the sorts of roles you can eventually go in for, but as is the state of the economy at the moment, anything that hints of a graduate placement will have lots of people applying for it.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Prince Rhyus]It won't be easy getting into policy work in general at the moment because there are lots of soon-to-be-ex-civil servants some of whom will be going for those very policy posts within private sector lobby groups and the charity sector roles too. QUOTE]

Oh that is sooo depressing Thanks for the advice though Do you know if there is any policy work/ any similar jobs in the private sector that I might be able to get into?

And thanks everyone for your help Im not looking forward to graduating....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.