Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know these threads about the importance of GCSEs at a given top university are tedious but bear with me. Did any of you get offers with poor GCSEs? Poor being less than 5 A*s and a few Bs/Cs. No debates about the importance of GCSEs or the fairness of taking GCSEs into account or any of that malarkey please, just cold, hard data. I'm interested primarily in the Politics and History departments but others can throw their hat in the ring if they want.

GCSEs (name subjects if you got an A*):
    AS:
    A2 predictions:
    Mitigating circumstances (if applicable):
    Course:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    I know these threads about the importance of GCSEs at a given top university are tedious but bear with me. Did any of you get offers with poor GCSEs? Poor being less than 5 A*s and a few Bs/Cs. No debates about the importance of GCSEs or the fairness of taking GCSEs into account or any of that malarkey please, just cold, hard data. I'm interested primarily in the Politics and History departments but others can throw their hat in the ring if they want.

AS:
    A2 predictions:
    Course:
    From the website...

(Original post by Department of History)
    ...of those applicants who have taken GCSEs, a high proportion have achieved top marks in most subjects taken.
    However, for Politics, they say:
    (Original post by School of Government and International Affairs)
    'A' in at least one social science or humanities subject
    So it varies, officially. Myself, I got 5 A*s, 8 As (Not bragging, just those were the grades). So I can't attest to the offers with less GCSEs, etc, unfortunately.

For my department, they say
    (Original post by Department of Classics and Ancient History)
    Because we get so many applications with predictions of AAA or higher, we are sometimes forced to use the profile of GCSE marks to make decisions. If your application reaches that stage in the process, we may be looking for a substantial number of A*s with no very low marks.
    I think this is generally the case, but it is only quoted from that department.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE Nazis!

Not that I'd ever apply to Durham, but still! :mad:

Yes I am bitter because I have poor GCSEs :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    GCSE Nazis!

At least you know you're bitter about it - and tbh, you probably enjoyed the GCSE years much more.
    And your AS grades are really good to make up for it - and they're the ones unis care about more :yep:

And besides - 5 or more GCSEs at A* to C inc maths + science, so better than the national benchmark, if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    i got A*A*A* AAAAAAAA C at gcse, got an offer without interview
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Alloram)
    At least you know you're bitter about it - and tbh, you probably enjoyed the GCSE years much more.
    And your AS grades are really good to make up for it - and they're the ones unis care about more :yep:

And besides - 5 or more GCSEs at A* to C inc maths + science, so better than the national benchmark, if that helps.
    Yeah- what this person said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alloram)

That's one of the most rational posts I've ever seen on TSR.

You don't belong here

ReputationRep:
    GCSE Nazis!

Interestingly the school of applied social sciences, offer amongst the least popular degrees, don't appear to be too bad.

A few people began the Criminology degree in its first two years with modest (I refuse to call them poor) GCSEs - mainly Bs, Cs and even a couple of Ds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Interestingly the school of applied social sciences, offer amongst the least popular degrees, don't appear to be too bad.

A few people began the Criminology degree in its first two years with modest (I refuse to call them poor) GCSEs - mainly Bs, Cs and even a couple of Ds.
    Ooh. If I wasn't from Durham I would consider applying to Durham Uni but I'm quite fixated on getting out of County Durham, I've never lived outside the area and I'm sick of it! Not that it isn't a lovely place but I live in the middle of nowhere...

I assumed Durham would be one of the big GCSE Nazis...Not because GCSEs are the defining aspect of a persons intelligence just I suppose Durham is a very popular university and they have to differentiate between candidates somehow...

I got one A*, six As, three Bs and a C (in Drama... not that it matters :P)

ReputationRep:
    @didgeridoo12uk: which degree did you get an offer for?

I only mean poor in relation to the Durham standard, no disrespect to people who got Bs and Cs.

ReputationRep:
    I assumed Durham would be one of the big GCSE Nazis...Not because GCSEs are the defining aspect of a persons intelligence just I suppose Durham is a very popular university and they have to differentiate between candidates somehow...
    Some departments are, some aren't. All universities will have more mediocore departments, or departments which aren't as popular as the others generally are.

Not that I'm saying Durham have a poor sociology department. They were certainly once thought of as one the country's leading departments and even now aren't too bad. But across the universities sociology isn't particuarly popular. So entry requirements, whether that's A-levels or GCSEs, are more modest.

Criminology is another one. It is strill a "new" subject to Durham. I say new, meaning that it's a relatively new course, although the university have produced significant research in the field of Criminology for years, just as a branch of sociology. As it's new and not particularly popular entry requirements aren't as high. Admissions tutors will be far more focused on A-levels and personal statements. As there isn't quite the same intense competition as there is in other departments GCSEs don't carry any huge importance as far as

With A-level offers of AAB - BBB then it's unlikely a high number of As and A*s at GCSEs is essential.

History, English, Maths, Natural Sciences, Combined Honours, Economics, Psychology....these are all A*AA or AAA departments and, being particularly oversubscribed, GCSEs can be useful as a filter.

But even here there'll be stark differences. Although, say, Maths might pay close attention to GCSE grades they still won't be quite as strict as History who explicitly state high numbers of A*s are expected/preferred.

ReputationRep:
    Im not politics and history, buttt:
    GCSEs (name subjects if you got an A*): A*(geog)AAAABBBBBD(FRENCH AHHH!)
    AS:BBBD
    A2 predictions:ABB
    Mitigating circumstances (if applicable): Im a bit retarded :/
    Course: Biomedical sciences

Different fields but I hope it helps a bit...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)

AS:
    A2 predictions:
    Course:
    3 A*s, 5 As, 2 Bs. The A*s were in Science and Geography. The Bs in German and Maths.

A-level predicted grades: AAB. Achieved BBB. I did have significant mitigating circumstances and, despite missing my ABB offer, was eventually allowed in. Eventually.

So I guess I'm borderline here, as you did say under five. A*s. Don't think I'm calling these results poor as I reocgnise that, although I could have still managd three more A*s, they are good.

I managed to get an offer for philosophy (although changed to philosophy and politics after starting university).

Not that this means much. We're going back to 2004 here when things were different (record numbers of people applying at the time, but still not as high as today's applicant numbers, so typical offers have increased with the competition).

I wouldn't take too much notice of the "high A*" talk from History. If you want to do History and Politics then there is no longer a Joint Honours degree. You will need to apply for the Combined Honours programme. Admissions to this are dealt with seperately. Although GCSEs will still be considered, and standards of appicants will be high, I'm not sure if they'd be quite as strict as History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmiiRainbow)
    I got one A*, six As, three Bs and a C (in Drama... not that it matters :P)
    My C's in drama too...always looks funny on my CV/application forms...A*s, an A...and a C. woop

ReputationRep:
    3 A*s, 5 As, 2 Bs. The A*s were in Science and Geography. The Bs in German and Maths.

A-level predicted grades: AAB. Achieved BBB. I did have significant mitigating circumstances and, despite missing my ABB offer, was eventually allowed in. Eventually.

So I guess I'm borderline here, as you did say under five. A*s. Don't think I'm calling these results poor as I reocgnise that, although I could have still managd three more A*s, they are good.

I managed to get an offer for philosophy (although changed to philosophy and politics after starting university).

Not that this means much. We're going back to 2004 here when things were different (record numbers of people applying at the time, but still not as high as today's applicant numbers, so typical offers have increased with the competition).

I wouldn't take too much notice of the "high A*" talk from History. If you want to do History and Politics then there is no longer a Joint Honours degree. You will need to apply for the Combined Honours programme. Admissions to this are dealt with seperately. Although GCSEs will still be considered, and standards of appicants will be high, I'm not sure if they'd be quite as strict as History.
    Combined is amazing

They don't have a specific gcse policy but it is still very competitive to get onto the course - I was on the SSCC last year and the programme Directors were saying that the number of poor applications (as in instant rejections) had declined massively, and the standard of applications and number was rising quite fast.

However if the OP loves history and politics, they should go for it!

https://www.dur.ac.uk/combined.honours/socscience/

ReputationRep:
    I'm Politics at Durham

ReputationRep:
    My research tells me that you achieved 6A*. THIS THREAD IS NO PLACE FOR YOUR KIND.

(Original post by angelmxxx)
    My C's in drama too...always looks funny on my CV/application forms...A*s, an A...and a C. woop
    so glad my c was in a subject i wasn't phased about :p:

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply for BA Geography and I'm predicted AAA in English Lit, History and Geography

I have A*A*AAAABBB GCSEs, do you think this would this hinder my application?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.