Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How is it different from other universities? How for example, would a lesson on microeconomics at Oxford be different from a lesson on microeconomics at LSE?

ReputationRep:
    In tutorials at Oxford you have 2/3 people per class. I'm not sure how many people per class there are at LSE but I assume that it's a lot more.

ReputationRep:
    How long does a tutorial last? In general, what do you discuss in a tutorial?

ReputationRep:
    generally about an hour long, and you're normally given work to do for the tutorial, you then discuss this.

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere that tutorials are about four hours long. Is this wrong?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Omio)
    Where did you read that? Of course it's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Forgot where I read it..

ReputationRep:
    Might it be true for some graduate classes perhaps?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Might it be true for some graduate classes perhaps?
    No, definitely not.

ReputationRep:
    Longest I've had was about two and a half hours. We knew it was going to be a marathon when he sent me with his bod card to bar to pick up snacks and drink about an hour and a half in.

ReputationRep:
    The only academic 'thing' I ever had that took that long was labs.

ReputationRep:
    I know em in people hilda's have had 7 or 8 hours of tutes in a day at some point and iirc they had one which was over 3 hours. so it can happen but it's definitly not normal. Most I've had was between 2 and 2 and a half hours straight I think.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Omio)
    It can happen - longest i've heard of was 5 hours of embryology for the medics at Hertford. The Chemists here had a 4 hour one once which was only meant to last 90 mins. I'm guessing such stories are derived from these isolated incidents.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by nexttime)
    It can happen - longest i've heard of was 5 hours of embryology for the medics at Hertford. The Chemists here had a 4 hour one once which was only meant to last 90 mins. I'm guessing such stories are derived from these isolated incidents.
    I can't really imagine how they could be, though, because as you say, those are very rare exceptions (and even then, the tutes were never actually meant to last this long). I mean, how exactly would you get from 'a mate of mine once had a tute which was supposed to be two hours but went on for nearly four hours' to 'tutorials last about four hours'?:confused:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I mean, how exactly would you get from 'a mate of mine once had a tute which was supposed to be two hours but went on for nearly four hours' to 'tutorials last about four hours'?:confused:
    Well it won't be 'a mate of mine' - it will be 'a friend of a friend of a deceased uncle's accountant' or something equally vague. People get stuff wrong about oxford all the time...

And, as far as i gathered, the Hertford example was intended to be that long. Its the one time in the year they do (attempt?) such an epic tutorial though.

ReputationRep:
    The longest I've had as a History student is probably just over two hours - they're normally an hour or maybe an hour and a half. The two hour ones were only in one term, and that was because there were four of us in the tutorial, so the tutor taught us in one group for two hours, rather than in pairs for an hour an each.

ReputationRep:
    I had a planned four hour tute once. But we were really behind, and had to get through loads of poems, so my tutor just set aside a whole Friday afternoon to do them all. That was a long afternoon.

In general they're one hour/90 minutes, though.

ReputationRep:
    I had a planned four hour tute once. But we were really behind, and had to get through loads of poems, so my tutor just set aside a whole Friday afternoon to do them all. That was a long afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mf2004)
    I know em in people hilda's have had 7 or 8 hours of tutes in a day at some point and iirc they had one which was over 3 hours. so it can happen but it's definitly not normal. Most I've had was between 2 and 2 and a half hours straight I think.
    Yeah, I had a physics class of over 3 hours once or twice before, but with a short break in the middle for dinner, haha. It's usually just when we have a class going over a collection paper. The papers are 3 hours long, and with muliple choices of question, so its not so mad that going through them takes so long.

Long tutes aren't nearly as bad as they sound, btw.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Bezzler)

But surely that would have been a class (i.e. with the entire year) rather than a tutorial?:confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.