This discussion is closed.
What's Chico Time Precious?
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
can someone give me advantages and disadvantages of liquid/gaseous fuels?

environmental factors relating to ethane, methane, octane....

also: i still dont understand thermal stability

kinetic stability is where if a reaction is exothermic, products are stable and reactants unstable, is trhis right???
Rep:
?
damn, ah well, i've looked and looked, hope i'll be ok
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Try filling and tank full of hydrogen then bursting it near a naked flame
Rep:
?
(Original post by cobra01977)
Try filling and tank full of hydrogen then bursting it near a naked flame
i would love to laugh but i'm too tired and hoping for a USEFUL reply
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That is kind of useful in disguise
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
weight - energy density, ie energy per unit of mass
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Absolution)
can someone give me advantages and disadvantages of liquid/gaseous fuels?

environmental factors relating to ethane, methane, octane....

also: i still dont understand thermal stability

kinetic stability is where if a reaction is exothermic, products are stable and reactants unstable, is trhis right???

OK. Gaseous fuels take up less space and are lighter, but liquid fuels are easier to handle (gases can easily escape etc). Also liquid fuels generally have to become a gas before they'll burn - when petrol burns it's the vapour and not the liquid - gases are already gaseous so will burn instantly. Liquids are not massively safer, but they are safer. As for environmental things - I can't remember the exact values but I think you have to look at the energy given off per mole compared to the amount of carbon dioxide released per mole combusted, and I'm pretty sure the bigger alkanes - like octane - are less environmentally friendly than ethane/methane according to this.

Stability I'll come back to because I haven't studied it in ages and I don't want to give you a wrong answer! So I'll check the stuff first. I'm pretty sure the above is right.
Rep:
?
(Original post by MadNatSci)
OK. Gaseous fuels take up less space and are lighter, but liquid fuels are easier to handle (gases can easily escape etc). Also liquid fuels generally have to become a gas before they'll burn - when petrol burns it's the vapour and not the liquid - gases are already gaseous so will burn instantly. Liquids are not massively safer, but they are safer. As for environmental things - I can't remember the exact values but I think you have to look at the energy given off per mole compared to the amount of carbon dioxide released per mole combusted, and I'm pretty sure the bigger alkanes - like octane - are less environmentally friendly than ethane/methane according to this.

Stability I'll come back to because I haven't studied it in ages and I don't want to give you a wrong answer! So I'll check the stuff first. I'm pretty sure the above is right.
thx very much, luckily it didnt come up in the exam so i was ok.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Absolution)
thx very much, luckily it didnt come up in the exam so i was ok.

OK, that's good - for some reason I couldn't find the stability stuff anywhere; I'd need to go back to my notes and they're all at home Damn my crappy memory!!
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

I would have thought gases take up more space than the same mass of liquid. Also, apparently it's impossible for a man to lift a 1kg of Hydrogen gas at 2000 psi.
-=G® TM=-
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
You all forgot 1 important factor! Gaseous fuels are very expensive to transport and need special containers which are expensive!!
matouwah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
it came up in the edexcell chem unit 2 exam.....why is it better to use hydrogen than propanol considering environemental factors...
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
I would have thought gases take up more space than the same mass of liquid. Also, apparently it's impossible for a man to lift a 1kg of Hydrogen gas at 2000 psi.

You can compress the gases and they're smaller molecules... I'm sure that was one of the reasons we had when I was doing it anyway Dunno about the hydrogen thing. Anyway, it was my birthday and I was marginally (!) pissed, so gimme a break
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You can compress the gases and they're smaller molecules... I'm sure that was one of the reasons we had when I was doing it anyway Dunno about the hydrogen thing. Anyway, it was my birthday and I was marginally (!) pissed, so gimme a break
WOW! Your birthday.

Happy bday mate.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
WOW! Your birthday.

Happy bday mate.

Thanks I feel so old...
crana
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
sorry to be dense, but when you compress the gases don't they eventually liquify anyway?

Rosie

Ps, HAPPY BIRTHDA Y
cobra
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Happy birthday
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks everyone... yeah, they will compress into liquids, I was trying to find a way out of the hole I'd dug myself into
joicey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i aint done a-level chem in 6 yrs but im sure kenetic stability is where a reaction is enodthermic the product is stable and the reactant isnt stable
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads