Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was hoping someone could provide advice on how one goes about changing their course after enrolment. I'm about to start a masters at ucl but now would like to switch to a course in another department. That said, the two courses aren't entirely unrelated and I do have work experience that is relevant to the course I would like to switch to.

When would be the best time to do this: immediately, a few days after enrolment or 1-2 weeks into the start of term etc?

Is the process time-consuming and bureaucratic? I wouldn't want to end up missing the majority of the first half of the term.

Is there a chance I may forfeit my current place if I am not granted a switch to the new course?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Immediately.

You won't 'forfeit' your place as you already have it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bradman)
    Was hoping someone could provide advice on how one goes about changing their course after enrolment. I'm about to start a masters at ucl but now would like to switch to a course in another department. That said, the two courses aren't entirely unrelated and I do have work experience that is relevant to the course I would like to switch to.

When would be the best time to do this: immediately, a few days after enrolment or 1-2 weeks into the start of term etc?

Is the process time-consuming and bureaucratic? I wouldn't want to end up missing the majority of the first half of the term.

Is there a chance I may forfeit my current place if I am not granted a switch to the new course?
    You say the courses are not entirely unrelated, but they are in different departments and will, most likely, have different core units and prerequisites. I would contact your current programme leader and explain that you wish to switch over (if possible) before you enrol, which will save everyone the hassle of added paperwork. Of course, you will probably have to explain why you wish to switch too.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.