Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My friend finds it strange that when I'm eating a meal, I don't mix the foods. For example if I had a dinner of vegetables, potatoes and meat,
    I'd eat the veg first, then the potatoes and finally the meat without blending them. The same applies to curry, I'll eat the sauce bit first then eat the rice.Also if I have beans with a meal I have them in a seperate bowl from my main meal.
    I obviously mix foods like in sandwiches.
    She thinks it's strange and says that's often one of the signs of an eating disorder (:rolleyes:) but it's just a habit, I guess? :dontknow:

Does anyone else do this!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    My friend finds it strange that when I'm eating a meal, I don't mix the foods. For example if I had a dinner of vegetables, patatoes and meat
    I'd eat the veg first, then the patatoes and finally the meat without blending them. The same applies to curry, I'll eat the sauce bit first then eat the rice.Also if I have beans with a meal I have them in a seperate bowl from my main meal.
    I obviously mix foods like in sandwhiches.
    She thinks it's strange and says that's often one of the signs of an eating disorder (:rolleyes:) but it's just a habit, I guess? :dontknow:

Does anyone else do this!?
    Yep! If you mix them, you can't taste everything! lol

ReputationRep:
    Uh. I've never heard of that being a sign of an eating disorder. After all, you eat all the food in the end, don't you? The only way I can see any sort of logic in that is the vast amount of control you want over your food, like EDs want too. But even then, I'd say that's kind of far-fetched.

My sister does it too. She says it's because she likes to taste everything individually. Personally, I like mixing my food because it creates a meld of flavours that may enhance one another, but to each their own?

ReputationRep:
    yeah i eat all my foods separately, like chips then chicken or whatever, especially with things like sweetcorn which makes things soggy if it touches the other foods and i'll have salad in a separate bowl otherwise the dressing goes on other things and it tastes weird :s the only thing i mix is chicken and rice because it tastes nicer that way everyone thinks i'm weird too, but i'm pretty sure it's not an eating disorder!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I have a strict order for sunday dinner!

ReputationRep:
    I just dislike mixing :dontknow:

I tend save the best till last.

ReputationRep:
    To me, this makes no sense.

Generally when I cook, I plan so that each component complements all the others - so, for example, slow cooked lamb shoulder marinated in balsamic vinegar, has a sharp, strong flavour with potato dauphinoise to give a creamy, soft base, against which the lamb flavour really expresses itself well. Sure, each is nice on its own, but together, they're brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    Might mean you have aspergers syndrome

ReputationRep:
    I alway eat like this! If im eating a veg burger or somethin i will even eat the buns first, then the burger bit...yeah =/ haha

ReputationRep:
    I just dislike mixing :dontknow:

I tend save the best till last.
    Hi-five.

I always eat component parts.

ReputationRep:
    I generally don't - but the curry & rice and the beans thing seems a bit odd/OCD lol.
    I do mix some things though - some meals are designed to be "mixed" to produce a certain flavour

ReputationRep:
    Don't eat rice separate :facepalm:

The whole point of rice is to add bulk and texture to whatever else it is you're eating, eating plain white rice on its own is just fail. It's up to you at the end of the day so meh :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sduong)
    I generally don't - but the curry & rice and the beans thing seems a bit odd/OCD lol.
    I do mix some things though - some meals are designed to be "mixed" to produce a certain flavour

It's because beans are difficult, I usually eat them first and they tend to touch the other foods and thus makes them soggy. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    Don't eat rice separate :facepalm:

The whole point of rice is to add bulk and texture to whatever else it is you're eating, eating plain white rice on its own is just fail. It's up to you at the end of the day so meh :dontknow:

I like rice though? :confused:
    I'm not a curry fan, so if I ever have one I get the bit I don't like out of the way first.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it all ends up mixed in your stomach anyway, it's just personal taste! I eat stuff together, especially curries etc. Plain rice is just too bland IMO.

ReputationRep:
    i find it stranger that you can't spell potatoes and sandwiches tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Wotsits & Ready Brek.

Heaven :angel:

I do the same as you OP

ReputationRep:
    I like rice though? :confused:
    I'm not a curry fan, so if I ever have one I get the bit I don't like out of the way first.
    Well just eat a plate of it on its own or something. Although I don't really see the point of rice on its own so meh. Maybe if you tried curry mixed with lots of rice it'd taste better?

ReputationRep:
    It's weird.

You, and all those that do the same, are freaks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.