Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Any tips for dating? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Just some questions about starting relationships:

1. When you are first hitting on a girl any ideas what signs to look for to gauge if they are interested? Example: If you are in a bar you look around the place see someone you like and get a good look back, how do you know if they are interested via body language? Is it a good idea to wink or would that just be creepy?

2. Those of you in relationships, how did it start? What was the attraction and how did you hit it off? How long did you know the person for before dating them?

Thanks for reading, look forward to your replies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc1234)
    When you are first hitting on a girl any ideas what signs to look for to gauge if they are interested? Example: If you are in a bar you look around the place see someone you like and get a good look back, how do you know if they are interested via body language? Is it a good idea to wink or would that just be creepy?
    Oh Christ... starting dating... get used to rejection is the first point.

1. Body language is unhelpful. If you can't do it without looking at her like an object just don't do it. You will get vibes.

2. Never wink. It's cliche. Walk over and talk to her. "Hey" or even better ask her a question. Talk slowly to sound confident and charming rather than creepy and weird. You may not like approaching a woman but making the first move gives a strong impression.

An extra tip: ask yourself "what would James Bond do?" anything that deviates wildly from the Bond standard may come off as weird or creepy.

Also, DON'T try to act like James Bond. Use him as a rough guide...

ReputationRep:
    Cool good advice, rejection is a tough one but surely most women are pretty reasonable and will give you these "vibes" or signs first. I would look pretty silly approaching more than one woman in each bar.
    The general idea is to minimise the chances of rejection by looking for signs before you approach, rejection isn't good for confidence.

ReputationRep:
    The general idea is to minimise the chances of rejection by looking for signs before you approach, rejection isn't good for confidence.
    Take it from me. Even the girls who give you great vibes will sometimes reject you. I have looks on my side but I managed to come off as too eager and creepy. I use the "Bond" rule and it has seriously improved my chances.

Confidence is the key to everything good.

You have to scale the mountain of rejection. There is no sure fire way to avoid it. You are going to get burned. To maintain your confidence aim for very little.

E.g. "I made the cute girl laugh today"

rather than:

"I'm one step closer to getting a number/asking her out/kissing"

That way you'll never get down and be more grateful when you achieve the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the ones who give the signs are interested but probably want things to go a little slower, I suppose if they hook up with someone after just meeting them it doesn't do their reputation any good.

Do you think buying them drinks works as a good icebreaker or is it just like chucking money down the drain?

ReputationRep:
    Dont talk about ex's.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the ones who give the signs are interested but probably want things to go a little slower, I suppose if they hook up with someone after just meeting them it doesn't do their reputation any good.

Do you think buying them drinks works as a good icebreaker or is it just like chucking money down the drain?

Don't do this. Girls will use you just so they get a free drink, unfortunately some girls are like that :o: they'll take the drink off you and piss off back to their mates. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    Dont talk about ex's.
    No worries there, never had any ex's.

So buying them drinks just makes you look an idiot if that happens?
    Judging by some of these answers and your experiences most of the women you have tried to get with just seem horrible, if that's the case I don't think I will bother, chances don't seem very good that there are any nice women out there going by some of these responses.

ReputationRep:
    First rule of men's dating advice is, always ignore a woman's advice on dating.

ReputationRep:
    No worries there, never had any ex's.

So buying them drinks just makes you look an idiot if that happens?
    Judging by some of these answers and your experiences most of the women you have tried to get with just seem horrible, if that's the case I don't think I will bother, chances don't seem very good that there are any nice women out there going by some of these responses.
    Well I'm talking about being in a club environment, so some girls might carry on chatting with you and actually give you a chance but a large percentage will simply take the drink without bothering to talk to you afterwards (I wouldn't do this btw! some girls are skanky, it gives us all a bad name! :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for your replies but is everyone who has answered single? Because I haven't got anything for question 2 yet.

So it's all a game of luck then? I thought a little bit of positive body language could skew the chances in my favour a little...

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm single :o:

:sexface:

They key is to make them laugh :top: Giving off a happy, friendly vibe is the best way to attract the opposite sex, obviously flirt a bit but don't go overboard with the flirting cos I don't know about anyone else, but I start to feel awkward if they're being TOO friendly. Sorry this probably isn't particularly helpful

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother trying to meet a girlfriend in a club. At best (worst) you'll get some skank to grind with you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 24, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.