Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    1] Outline the role of mitochondria in the metabolism of the cell. (a diagram is given, it's of a cell from the epithelial lining of the mammalian intestine)

2] Describe how a sample of whole chloroplasts cold be obtained from leaf tissue.

:woo: In advance, Thank You Very Much!

ReputationRep:
    im sure you will find fully descriptive and illustrated diagrams in any good biology text book, better than any1 can give here or maybe google it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace0fM1nd)
    im sure you will find fully descriptive and illustrated diagrams in any good biology text book, better than any1 can give here or maybe google it.
    Well...obviously I've done both of them.....:|

ReputationRep:
    so whats the problem? what text books do you use, they mustn't be any good if you couldn't fnd any info about this.

ReputationRep:
    +1 for textbooks.

Learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace0fM1nd)
    so whats the problem? what text books do you use, they mustn't be any good if you couldn't fnd any info about this.
    Pearson Baccalaureate..higher level biology.......developed specially for the IB Diploma.......
    yerh....................
    I read the Mitochondria section...and there's nothing about metabolism...unless it's "The cristae provide a huge interna; surfaces area for te chemical reactions characteristic of the mitochondrioa to occur. Most mitochondrial reactions involve the production of usable cellular energy called ATP....'

About the chloroplast....I don't recall learning anything bout a sample obtaining from leaf tissue...unless the answer is to pull out a young leaf from the Elodea plant...

ReputationRep:
    if the answers are not in your textbook, why not look up these organelles on wikipedia / google. eg the role of mitochondria in the production of ATP. I don't think there's much point just asking strangers on TSR to tell you what to say - you won't learn anything that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mykk3i)
    1] Outline the role of mitochondria in the metabolism of the cell. (a diagram is given, it's of a cell from the epithelial lining of the mammalian intestine)

2] Describe how a sample of whole chloroplasts cold be obtained from leaf tissue.

:woo: In advance, Thank You Very Much!
    1) I'm not sure about metabolism. However, you find increasing numbers of mitochondria in cells in the epitherial cells because Mitochondria are the sites of cell respiration (i.e. where ATP energy is made). Hence, having large numbers of mitochondria makes lots of ATP needed for active transport againt the concentration gradient. Hence, the cells can absorb stuff from the digested food much more easily.

2) I'm not sure about this one.

Please rep if you find the answer useful

ReputationRep:
    2) Describe the process of cell fractionation.

http://www.freewebs.com/ltaing/

ReputationRep:
    The Mitochondria are responsible for the production of ATP - the cells energy source - which is used for 'active' processes (such as transport across membranes, and also for biochemical reactions). Do you need to know about the update of nutrients from the intestines?

Not sure how you would extract chloroplasts if I am honest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbo139)
    if the answers are not in your textbook, why not look up these organelles on wikipedia / google. eg the role of mitochondria in the production of ATP. I don't think there's much point just asking strangers on TSR to tell you what to say - you won't learn anything that way.

I'm jsut trying to ask for help not the exact answer....
    N it's pretty much the same as to find answers online..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funghi-lover)
    2) Describe the process of cell fractionation.

http://www.freewebs.com/ltaing/
    Sank Q! though I never learned this but hope it's right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Andrew_)
    The Mitochondria are responsible for the production of ATP - the cells energy source - which is used for 'active' processes (such as transport across membranes, and also for biochemical reactions). Do you need to know about the update of nutrients from the intestines?

Not sure how you would extract chloroplasts if I am honest?
    cooly moly, so it's about ATP.
    nah, that's too much in depth xD
    lol If you are honest, the other guy showed me a site about centrifugation so hope that is correct. :]

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mykk3i)
    I'm jsut trying to ask for help not the exact answer....
    N it's pretty much the same as to find answers online..
    Researching by googling and wikipedia builds up skills necessary for massive coursework pieces that you'll be doing later on. Since you can't exactly reference someone on TSR

ReputationRep:
    I'm with everyone else especially on part one, information on that is abundant.

On the chloroplasts, did this a couple of times last year:
    Grind leaves in cold isotonic buffer
    Filter paper
    low speed centrifuge - pellet unbroken cells + nuclei
    centrifuge supernatant at higher speed to pellet chloroplasts

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 27, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.