Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do some girls NEED boyfriends? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A lot of girls I know seem to NEED boyfriends when they're single. I mean why is it so important? Can you not enjoy your life without having a boyfriend? (doesn't seem so).

I think media and society is to blame for this. All them stupid chick flicks are about the single girl finding that 'perfect guy'. Girls watch this and then go out and get anything wishing he was that 'perfect guy' but he usually ends up not being it, then keeps him as a back-up while secretly looking for someone else. Also that movie Twilight is all about trying to get a boyfriend (if you really think about it :p: )

The amount of girls I know that are single are constantly moaning and say dumb **** like 'I need a man in my life'...why? Are you not independent enough to live your own life? Are you so insecure that you NEED a boyfriend?

So to summarize every girl I know has either got a boyfriend or moaning about not having one.

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of people like this. I find it utterly barking mad to be perfectly honest. I've never, till this day heard a boy complain about not having a girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Well... :sexface:

P.S. If I'm not clear enough... getting regular sex without being labelled a slut, maybe :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    It's been the problem since the ice age tbfh.

ReputationRep:
    Some people also like a secure shag. Usually the boyfriend isn't going to say no to that.

ReputationRep:
    Insecure.

/Thread

ReputationRep:
    i doubt they need them, they just enjoy having one

i'm the same. life is much more fun when you're in a relationship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    A lot of girls I know seem to NEED boyfriends when they're single. I mean why is it so important? Can you not enjoy your life without having a boyfriend? (doesn't seem so).

I think media and society is to blame for this. All them stupid chick flicks are about the single girl finding that 'perfect guy'. Girls watch this and then go out and get anything wishing he was that 'perfect guy' but he usually ends up not being it, then keeps him as a back-up while secretly looking for someone else. Also that movie Twilight is all about trying to get a boyfriend (if you really think about it :p: )
    The amount of girls I know that are single are constantly moaning and say dumb **** like 'I need a man in my life'...why? Are you not independent enough to live your own life? Are you so insecure that you NEED a boyfriend?

So to summarize every girl I know has either got a boyfriend or moaning about not having one.

Discuss.
    Yes, although it's quite subtle, I find. You have to look into the text a bit more to find it.

And as to the point of the thread, yes, a lot of girls are insecure and feel like they need boyfriends (God knows why), but some of us really don't give a s*** either way.

ReputationRep:
    Cultural expectation is that you need a partner to be happy, some people don't even try to be happy without a partner but instead just whine about it.

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit, I'm guilty of feeling this way myself at times. I mean, when you've been single for a very long time, it does start to get on your nerves a little. And anyway, isn't kinda human nature to want a partner? Otherwise, why do so many people get them? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Because theyre insecure.

Also because society looks down on women who aren't married and celebrates single men

ReputationRep:
    Some girls are idiots basically. I had a friend who was OBSESSED with having a boyfriend/male attention, she didn't have a boyfriend for about 8 months and SHE NEVER SHUT UP ABOUT IT :stomp: All I'd hear her say is "I need a boyfriend", or "I haven't had a boyfriend in soooo long" Erm it's been 8 months, calm yourself love :rolleyes: Funny as soon as she got one, she ditched me :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    I've never, till this day heard a boy complain about not having a girlfriend.
    Have you missed the billions of topics here saying "I wish I had a girlfriend"? Or do they not count!

ReputationRep:
    They say that because of evolution, girls are genetically hardwired to be monogamous whereas males aren't. It means we feel the need to be with somebody because we want comfort, a stable environment that's adequate for producing and raising a child and all the other advantages of a relationship between two people.

That being said, some girls are really insecure as well and think that you're not complete if you don't have somebody to complete you. Also, nobody wants to be alone either?

ReputationRep:
    well, i don't feel like i need a boyfriend but when its been a couple of years you start to feel like something is wrong with you.

ReputationRep:
    Insecure.

Scared of being alone.

Feel inferior to their fellow girl friends who do have boyfriends.

Some girls constantly crave that validation they seem to get from having a boyfriend, like it assures them that they're desirable.

Relationships should be something a person wants by choice, not something they need. As soon as it becomes a question of need and not want, it's a weakness :yep: because it basically means they are unable to survive on their own and are so dependent on having a counterpart.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I haven't had a boyfriend and watched all my friends have them. It just seems better to be in a relationship, to have that one person you're close with etc. I don't think its just girls- plenty of guys want girlfriends, just don't say it so publicly maybe.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's insecurity but I don't know because I don't really feel like this

ReputationRep:
    According to Gok Wan they are the latest fashion accessory. Pay attention!

http://cdn.sockshop.co.uk/cms_media/...50-7014293.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doubledot)
    They say that because of evolution, girls are genetically hardwired to be monogamous whereas males aren't. It means we feel the need to be with somebody because we want comfort, a stable environment that's adequate for producing and raising a child and all the other advantages of a relationship between two people.

That being said, some girls are really insecure as well and think that you're not complete if you don't have somebody to complete you. Also, nobody wants to be alone either?
    Incorrect. Both males and females benefit from monogamous relationships. If a female was born that had a genetic trait which made her polygamous she would reproduce more and pass on that trait.

If a man was polygamous he would have to feed every mother and child (this goes back to why monogamy started) so he has to gather more food for every child he fathers if he has more than one partner. Whereas with a single partner he can gather enough food to sustain more offspring.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 24, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.