Turn on thread page Beta

Why do some girls NEED boyfriends? watch

ReputationRep:
    Insecure about being alone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doubledot)
    They say that because of evolution, girls are genetically hardwired to be monogamous whereas males aren't. It means we feel the need to be with somebody because we want comfort, a stable environment that's adequate for producing and raising a child and all the other advantages of a relationship between two people.

That being said, some girls are really insecure as well and think that you're not complete if you don't have somebody to complete you. Also, nobody wants to be alone either?
    Not true.. girls are hardwired to produce children with the highest chance of reproductive success. The so called "sexy son hypothesis". This is why girls tend to be more attracted to dominant masculine men for a fling and more feminine, caring men for long term relationships "nice guys". This way, they get a sexy son and a nice guy to look after him.

Obviously in the real world it isn't that simple. Good thing we can all choose what we want. :p:

ReputationRep:
    girls are genetically hardwired to be monogamous
    That is not strictly true. It's true that men produce millions of sperm in the time it takes a woman to drop 2 or 3 eggs, but still consider the following....

- Several days either side of when a woman ovulates, she goes into 'estrous', in other words she's 'in heat' or hornier than normal. During this time, women are hardwired to want to have sex with a male other than their long term partner (they may not act on this urge, though).

This being a fact, then it's simply NOT TRUE that women are 'genetically hardwired to be monogamous'. If women were' genetically hardwired to be monogamous', then there would be no such things as 'in estrous'.

-Women like sex just as much, if not MORE than men; they are just socially conditioned to downplay their sexuality, in fear of being judged unfairly by society.

So in summary I wouldn't say women are 'genetically hardwired to be monogamous', but more 'socially conditioned by society and the media' to be monogamous. Deep down, women desire sex just as much as men, no matter what 'society says'.

If there wasn't this 'double standard' in society where women are judged unfairly for enjoying sex, then both men and women would be non-monogamous.

Monogamy is really a social construct designed by religion and society to control people, but is not our natural state. Monogamy is a CHOICE,i.e you can CHOOSE to be monogamous with somebody because you like their companionship etc, but it is not our true nature.

ReputationRep:
    Its called easing sexual tension without coming off as a slut..coz when you have a boyfriend..it's legit if you wanna have sex ten times in a day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Incorrect. Both males and females benefit from monogamous relationships. If a female was born that had a genetic trait which made her polygamous she would reproduce more and pass on that trait.

If a man was polygamous he would have to feed every mother and child (this goes back to why monogamy started) so he has to gather more food for every child he fathers if he has more than one partner. Whereas with a single partner he can gather enough food to sustain more offspring.
    Actually they have bandied this theory about because during the ice age etc, it was clearly all about survival of the fittest and males were programmed to breed as much as possible and then the female would be left to take care of the offspring. Of course, over the years this undoubtably changed and adapted to an environment and situation as the one you presented above, but this is a theory that's been presented by many, like Strassberg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beadle's About)
    No, I agree that it's not strictly true, but it has been considered a leading theory when studying our origins. Of course, I'm sure it isn't as strong within us today because we have no more need for the entire game of survival of the fittest, but some have suggested that a large percentage of the population will still have the remnants of this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    I know a lot of people like this. I find it utterly barking mad to be perfectly honest. I've never, till this day heard a boy complain about not having a girlfriend.

Guys complain about not being able to 'pull' girls, (the same principle applies here... life's not all about attracting girls and moaning)
    whereas girls want some sort of stable relationship. I think it works both ways.

Im happily single, if i meet someone i like, then i wouldnt mind a relationship, but otherwise im happy with my independance

To OP, that is a generalisation, people are at different stages in their lives, some girls have come out a relationship screaming 'at last singledom', some have been single for looong and would like some company, others are happily single.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    According to Gok Wan they are the latest fashion accessory. Pay attention!

http://cdn.sockshop.co.uk/cms_media/...50-7014293.jpg
    :yes:
    Thank you.

For making me laugh.

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of people like this. I find it utterly barking mad to be perfectly honest. I've never, till this day heard a boy complain about not having a girlfriend.
    Are you serious?! Loads of guys complain about not having a girlfriend. Some even complain about this to women they like. I guess guys are maybe less likely to complain to their male friends about this because they're scared they'll be scorned and told to man up, that sex buddies are better and that girls aren't worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I like cuddles. After a certain amount of time without cuddles it gets a bit meh, really.

And what's wrong with liking cuddles?!?! Also, kissing. Okay, I could get all the physical contact I want from guys in nightclubs who I never see again but I would prefer not to and it's not really the same is it, let's face it.

ReputationRep:
    This pisses me the **** off. I know a girl just like this who cant go a couple of weeks without one...

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? I seem to spend far too much of my time explaining to guys why you need to not *need* to be in a relationship. You can't build your self esteem on whether someone wants to date you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    A lot of girls I know seem to NEED boyfriends when they're single. I mean why is it so important? Can you not enjoy your life without having a boyfriend? (doesn't seem so).

I think media and society is to blame for this. All them stupid chick flicks are about the single girl finding that 'perfect guy'. Girls watch this and then go out and get anything wishing he was that 'perfect guy' but he usually ends up not being it, then keeps him as a back-up while secretly looking for someone else. Also that movie Twilight is all about trying to get a boyfriend (if you really think about it :p: )

The amount of girls I know that are single are constantly moaning and say dumb **** like 'I need a man in my life'...why? Are you not independent enough to live your own life? Are you so insecure that you NEED a boyfriend?

So to summarize every girl I know has either got a boyfriend or moaning about not having one.

Discuss.
    yeh i agree with you as i know a lot of friends like this and it gets on my nerves and some guys are like this but not nearly as many!:yep:

however i know for sure i am not, im single and not moaning!:yep: i especially dont see the point if you are at school and still think you NEED someone -surley these people have too much time to spend?

ReputationRep:
    No, I agree that it's not strictly true, but it has been considered a leading theory when studying our origins. Of course, I'm sure it isn't as strong within us today because we have no more need for the entire game of survival of the fittest, but some have suggested that a large percentage of the population will still have the remnants of this.
    Well...if we were truly genetically designed to be monogamous, then there would be no cheating break ups, no divorces....people would just get together and stay together, nobody would cheat, nobody would leave their partner etc because that would be our true nature.

But REALITY is that people DO cheat, people DO have affairs, people DO leave their partner, people DO break up, people DO get divorced.......look all around you, it's there for all to see....yet people still believe monogamy is 'the natural state'? Eh, how do you figure that one out in the face of so much contradictory evidence?

If monogamy were 'the natural state', we would get into relationships and then NEVER look at anyone else, NEVER find anyone else hot or attractive.....but REALITY is that even if you're in a 'monogamous relationship', you STILL find other people hot or attractive. It doesn't just 'switch off' therefore it must be part of the blueprint of life that we are not monogamous by nature.

Society and technology may change all around us, but at the core we're still animals with sexual urges; that hasn't and will never change no matter how much the outside world around us changes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShnnyShiz)
    Not true.. girls are hardwired to produce children with the highest chance of reproductive success. The so called "sexy son hypothesis". This is why girls tend to be more attracted to dominant masculine men for a fling and more feminine, caring men for long term relationships "nice guys". This way, they get a sexy son and a nice guy to look after him.

Obviously in the real world it isn't that simple. Good thing we can all choose what we want. :p:
    Yeah I've heard about that theory too which is why I said that "they say", meaning it's obviously not concrete. Part of the reason why they think this polygamy/monogamy theory holds some truth was when theorizing how the differences in the reproductive systems came about; 'why do men produce far more sperm in a year than the number of eggs a woman produces?' type of questions.

ReputationRep:
    I have, but it does seem to be less common.

A lot of my friends do seem to be like you describe and I don't really know why- I think a part of it is jealousy, because if you keep hearing about the cute texts your friend gets from her boyfriend and the nice things he does for her, you'll end up going "I want that!". And part of it is just that it's nice to be with someone, I guess, being in love is fun!

Personally though, I wasn't really looking for anyone when my boyfriend came along, it was a total surprise. If he left then I guess I'd be on my own for a while but eh, hopefully he won't! xD

ReputationRep:
    Actually they have bandied this theory about because during the ice age etc, it was clearly all about survival of the fittest and males were programmed to breed as much as possible and then the female would be left to take care of the offspring. Of course, over the years this undoubtably changed and adapted to an environment and situation as the one you presented above, but this is a theory that's been presented by many, like Strassberg.
    Haha, someone has been reading! Forgive me, but your last post just seemed to be based on what common belief was. This is obviously an ongoing debate, as can be seen by the bombardment of people trying to "correct" you. I just wished to make sure you knew of other theories.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depende...ality_disorder

ReputationRep:
    You guys are probably right. Guys don't usually complain about this to their guy mates unless it's about 'pulling'.However pulling is completely different to needing a girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Haha, someone has been reading! Forgive me, but your last post just seemed to be based on what common belief was. This is obviously an ongoing debate, as can be seen by the bombardment of people trying to "correct" you. I just wished to make sure you knew of other theories.
    Actually, I honestly don't know whether I believe monogamy or polygamy or what's what. I was just suggesting it as one of the reasons since it is something that many people believe. And, on the other hand, which many other people don't. We did a whole load of TOK presentations on the validity of the theory which is why I suggested it only, rather than straight out claimed it to be the truth, and why I've read about it (and yes, don't worry, other theories too). Nobody really has a clear idea about it and everybody has their own views - just like they do about evolution etc etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 24, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.