Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    All Terrorists are Muslims…Except the 94% that Aren’t...

http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/01/not...s-are-muslims/
    A very good read :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burymeinanalog)
    But it doesn't, because the fertility rate would be fairly consistent. You'd need to point out that there has been a growing birth rate amongst Muslim-majority countries over time, rather than against other countries, otherwise there is no growth in Muslims across the world, because the birth/death-rates will be consistent, and so there would always be a consistent number of Muslims in the world.
    The point is that the birth rate in developed countries has slowed down, which is why the Muslim population is increasing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sherlock.H)
    All Terrorists are Muslims…Except the 94% that Aren’t...

http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/01/not...s-are-muslims/
    A very good read :holmes:
    Perhaps that 6% does far more damage than their small number suggests e.g. 9/11. In which case, throwing the 6% figure is not really that helpful. It misrepresents the true impact of Islamic terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trell)
    The point is that the birth rate in developed countries has slowed down, which is why the Muslim population is increasing.

... Has it? Do you've a source for that, I thought it had been on the rise.
    But even so, whilst that contributes to the rise in Islam in the West, but not an overall Islam increase - as you were talking about Muslim-majority countries.

ReputationRep:
    ... Has it? Do you've a source for that, I thought it had been on the rise.
    But even so, whilst that contributes to the rise in Islam in the West, but not an overall Islam increase - as you were talking about Muslim-majority countries.
    I am not trying to be rude but I've genuinely lost you. What's your point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trell)
    Perhaps that 6% does far more damage than their small number suggests e.g. 9/11. In which case, throwing the 6% figure is not really that helpful. It misrepresents the true impact of Islamic terrorism.
    Although 9/11 has a large death rate, it was still fairly minimal. And it and the 7/7 bombings were still fairly isolated incidents.
    The number of Palestinians that died last year just from that month-long conflict (poor phrasing, I know) was very significant also, and Israeli terrorism continues to have a massive impact, but nobody on here is crying about the Terrorist Jews.

I'm well aware it's not to the same extent, but having a significant impact doesn't misrepresent because it's STILL making up a small percentage of terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trell)
    I am not trying to be rude but I've genuinely lost you. What's your point?
    No point, it was a question.
    Have the birth rates in developed countries went down? And can you provide evidence?

Just because I had thought they had went up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trell)
    Firstly, do you have a reliable source for that figure?

Secondly, that figure in isolation is quite meaningless. Perhaps it's true that 20,000 Americans convert to Islam every year, but perhaps the same amount, if not more, leave Islam every year. In which case, conversion does not play a role in the growth of Islam in America.
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...53C1A9679C8B63 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfx4glTU5JQ

Around 30,000 Muslims immigrate to the US each year so conversions do play a big part. Do you have any evidence which points to the contrary?

ReputationRep:
    I believe not all Muslims are seen as terrorists, except by a minority of ignorant who camouflage '' their violence" under the name of Islam but they do not really understand that religion. Islam is the religion of peace while terrorism is not..
    So, Terrorism has nothing to do with Islam.. and if you want to see the real terrorism go to the occupied Palestine and see the Israeli terrorists :

ReputationRep:
    It's hard not to associate though.

One of my family members was raped on two separate occasions, both times by Iraqi men. It's hard to separate logic from emotion in cases like that (I realise this isn't terrorism, but my family hates people from that region now because of this reason).

Let's face it anyway, in recent years the most prolific of terrorist attacks have been committed by muslims so a generalisation is inevitable. It might not be right but it's happened so ranting at a bunch of students won't change the mind set of an entire country.

ReputationRep:
    Although 9/11 has a large death rate, it was still fairly minimal.
    Minimal in what context? Tens of thousands of Americans would have to die every year in terrorist attacks for 9/11 to be a 'minimal'.

And it and the 7/7 bombings were still fairly isolated incidents.
    Were they really that isolated. Islamic terrorism, especially home grown Islamic terrorism, has become quite a serious issue in the US.

The number of Palestinians that died last year just from that month-long conflict (poor phrasing, I know) was very significant also, and Israeli terrorism continues to have a massive impact, but nobody on here is crying about the Terrorist Jews.
    :confused:

I'm not sure what the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has to do with this debate.

ReputationRep:
    Since when were Muslims considered a 'race'? Oh wait... yeah, since political correctness came in and i was banned from another popular forum for stating this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykiie)
    It's hard not to associate though.

One of my family members was raped on two separate occasions, both times by Iraqi men. It's hard to separate logic from emotion in cases like that (I realise this isn't terrorism, but my family hates people from that region now because of this reason).

Let's face it anyway, in recent years the majority of terrorist attacks have been by muslims so a generalisation is inevitable. It might not be right but it's happened so ranting at a bunch of students won't change the mind set of an entire country.

I'm pretty sure a very small minority of terroist attacks in the recent years have been by Muslims, actually. Did someone earlier have references for that with the 1% thing? If so, double-paste would be awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Vatican and the Catholic Church will quickly overtake the misconception that most terrorists are muslims.

ReputationRep:
    http://thereligionofpeace.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...53C1A9679C8B63 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfx4glTU5JQ

Around 30,000 Muslims immigrate to the US each year so conversions do play a big part. Do you have any evidence which points to the contrary?
    I am sorry but I don't believe for a moment that a mere 30,000 Muslims immigrate to the US each year.

I heard that something like 1.5 million people immigrate to the US every year, so to claim that a mere 30,000 (ie 2%) of them are Muslims, when Muslims make up something like 20% of the worlds population, seems incorrect, to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trell)
    Interesting. Your delving into the realms of uncertainty after being presented facts, then proceed to give the benefit of the doubt to your claim without sufficient evidence. That is terrible debating, at this point the burden of proof is on you, so far your claims hold no weight.

Europol Report: All Terrorists are Muslims…Except the 99.6% that Aren’t
    http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/01/terrorism-in-europe/

I'd urge you to read the following.
    http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/05/ran...m-exaggerated/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trell)
    Minimal in what context? Tens of thousands of Americans would have to die every year in terrorist attacks for 9/11 to be a 'minimal'.
    I mean minimal on a world-scale. It was undeniably tragic and a pile of ***** for 3,000 odd people to lose their lives innocently, but that number of deaths in America is completely uncommon in one event. In America, it wasn't minimalistic, but on a world-scale it was.

Were they really that isolated. Islamic terrorism, especially home grown Islamic terrorism, has become quite a serious issue in the US.
    As I said above, in America the loss of 3,000 is entirely uncommon, and hence an isolated event in US Current Affairs.

:confused:
    I'm not sure what the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has to do with this debate.
    ... Em, terrorism.
    Non-Muslim terrorism is shockingly under-rated for being so common.
    In fact, your confusion as to how it related is telling in that regard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sid-sy)
    I believe not all Muslims are seen as terrorists, except by a minority of ignorant who camouflage '' their violence" under the name of Islam but they do not really understand that religion. Islam is the religion of peace while terrorism is not..
    So, Terrorism has nothing to do with Islam.. and if you want to see the real terrorism go to the occupied Palestine and see the Israeli terrorists
    You don't have a monopoly on the interpretation of Islam or the word peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trell)
    I am sorry but I don't believe for a moment that a mere 30,000 Muslims immigrate to the US each year.

I heard that something like 1.5 million people immigrate to the US every year, so to claim that a mere 30,000 (ie 2%) of them are Muslims, when Muslims make up something like 20% of the worlds population, seems incorrect, to say the least.
    But that's only legal immigration, hence my criticism of statistics.
    And not everyone will state their religion has Muslim, some might not want to for fear of stereotyping.
    On top of this, the American immigration cap is very small, and for the Diversity Visa most Muslim-majority countries are exempt.
    2& per year sounds about right because of that. A lot of Christian countries, and then a large portion of South American countries also, would take up a much greater percentage.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.