Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

Basically, I'm English, and I've been looking at some universities in Scotland that offer courses I want to study (such as Glasgow and Edinburgh) and they look very good. However, my Dad is sure that English students get bullied relentlessly at Scottish universities by the other students and sometimes by professors. He claims to have heard stories about students dropping out as a result of it, too.

I'm just wondering how true these rumours are, because he makes it sound like Scottish universities are full of people like Begbie from Trainspotting, which can't really be the case, can it? One of my theories is that as my Grandad went to Glasgow university, he may have told my Dad stories of English students being bullied, and now he is giving me the same advice.

Anyway, thank you in advance for all replies, and have a good day!

ReputationRep:
    '(You)', you're a bit weird, like how does this sound like a troll question?

Anyway OP no I do not think it is normal for English students to be bullied there. I know like 2 or 3 people who went to Scotland to study and I've never heard of anything like that.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: No.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently living in Glasgow for uni. And no, nobody cares. There's one guy in our flat who's from Derby and the rest of us our Scots and we don't single him our or anything!

ReputationRep:
    there's probably more english students at edinburgh than there are scots

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    there's probably more english students at edinburgh than there are scots
    Yeah this is the impression I've got so I'd say you'll be fine, OP

ReputationRep:
    It's true that Edinburgh does have a high proportion of non-Scots to Scots, whereas Glasgow have a very high proportion of students from Scotland, particularly from the west coast.

You may get friendly banter, but that's all. The lecturers are hardly going to 'bully' you, considering a lot of them are from around the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IQ Test)
    Hi there!

Basically, I'm English, and I've been looking at some universities in Scotland that offer courses I want to study (such as Glasgow and Edinburgh) and they look very good. However, my Dad is sure that English students get bullied relentlessly at Scottish universities by the other students and sometimes by professors. He claims to have heard stories about students dropping out as a result of it, too.

I'm just wondering how true these rumours are, because he makes it sound like Scottish universities are full of people like Begbie from Trainspotting, which can't really be the case, can it? One of my theories is that as my Grandad went to Glasgow university, he may have told my Dad stories of English students being bullied, and now he is giving me the same advice.

Absolute nonsense. Have you actually been to Edinburgh before? There seems to be just as many English people in the city itself as there are Scots, if not more. I've never heard of any instances of this happening at any Scottish university.

Nothing to worry about mate, just apply for both unis if they take your fancy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IQ Test)
    Hi there!

If there is, then its lower than the bullying towards Scottish students at English uni's

When I was at Chester I got people starting on me just because I am Scottish at uni and whinging on about the barnett formula, Gordon Brown, free tuition and saying they "dont like me/Scottish people" because of that!

Yet the same people got on with every English student.

:lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No! You might get a bit of friendly banter but that would be the extent of it! I know a lot of English people...do you think English people would come to Scotland if bullying was the case? I think not.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.