Turn on thread page Beta

How to be less boring watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im the most boring person I know, I moved into halls a week ago and havnt said more than a few words to anyone.

It usually ends up like me saying Hi them replying with some random stuff asking me where im staying, what course im doing ect then its just dead, i litrally have nothing else to say so i just say cya and head off elsewhere.

ive never really said much and didnt talk to anyone at my previous college until about 8 months in, and even then i just used to kinda hang around with them not contributing much.

How do i hold a conversation lasting more than a minute without it sounding like 20 questions?

ReputationRep:
    In my experience if you listen to something they say and you can jump off it onto an anecdote (a funny story that is somehow linked to the conversation - someone mentioned a charity hitchhike to me and I told them all about the time my friend illegally entered Egypt on a similar premise) then that breaks the ice somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol can often help.

ReputationRep:
    Think of something interesting to talk about. Like cookies or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student00009)
    Im the most boring person I know, I moved into halls a week ago and havnt said more than a few words to anyone.

It usually ends up like me saying Hi them replying with some random stuff asking me where im staying, what course im doing ect then its just dead, i litrally have nothing else to say so i just say cya and head off elsewhere.

ive never really said much and didnt talk to anyone at my previous college until about 8 months in, and even then i just used to kinda hang around with them not contributing much.

How do i hold a conversation lasting more than a minute without it sounding like 20 questions?
    Just go and sit in the kitchen with a magazine/laptop and see what conversation/people come your way. Don't feel pressured to keep the conversation going, it's your home! Just go with the flow.

ReputationRep:
    Just because you find it hard to make interesting/witty comments does not mean your boring. In your flat spend some extra time in the kitchen and chat to ppl who come in =]
    In lectures perhaps sit next to or near someone sat alone and just start with general chit chat about the weather or the lecture your at...just try your best and go for it! =]

Lurk in public places in your accommodation and you'll find yourself randomly meeting people. It'll help you slowly emerge from your shell.

ReputationRep:
    Make a sarcastic comment relevant to the conversations, or get a third nipple which will help you to do the former.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them the truth. That you're a socially akward person and can't think of much to say. Then add in something like 'but hey, i bet you're not the same' or compliment them on their confidence/clothes/attitude. Then a conversation may start rolling. Or not.

ReputationRep:
    start playing sports. join societies, take up random hobbys.
    it'll be much easier to start up conversations in those situations.

or just ask them if they're doing anything that evening, arrange to pre-drink with them. you get to know people pretty well playing drinking games

ReputationRep:
    find someone who is interested in something you are e.g. guitar and talk about it

ReputationRep:
    if it's in freshers, you could ask them what they've been doing and how they found it, if they're going to 'event you've gone to' or if they're going to. could always ask about music/tv/films or other stuff. if you go around flatmate's rooms (obviously like in a talky, not stalky, way) you'll probably see bits of their personality- like posters, games consoles, clothes, etc etc.

the fact you're at uni, knowing no one, is what you will have in common with most people.

in lectures or introductory stuff just talk to people. DO NOT be one of those people who are like where else did you apply? what grades did you get? what did you do. that is so, so boring and makes you seem like a competitive ********/annoyance from the outset. think of chattier things like which college/halls are you in, what socs are you doing, how are you finding halls etc.

don't give up now. fresher's is not the be all and end all, i only met ONE of my current friends (and second year housemates!) during fresher's!

ReputationRep:
    I used to be shy so I know how you feel. My number one top tip is to ask people about themselves, they won't notice it feels like 20 questions because people LOVE talking about themselves lol. And as they talk you will probably find some things in common that you can say something about. People love good listeners and this is the backbone of a friendship so it's a great place to start. Remember you're not alone, they will feel just as nervous as you, everyone at uni is in the same boat.

You may have just not met the right people too. I like going out for drinks and clubbing but I also work hard, however in my 1st year of uni I seemed to be put in with a whole block of partygoers who treated uni like a holiday. At first I felt like I wasn't good enough and I was 'boring' but later I met people similar to me and realised I was pretty normal and they were the weirdos! Anyway good luck, I'm sure you'll get there.

ReputationRep:
    Talk about uni and shizzle, it may go on from there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 24, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.