Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i'm 17 and people my age and younger are getting engaged! at my school there are two girls and they are best friends and also they're 15... and both have gotten engaged (for real, not as a joke or just on facebook) to their boyfriends! plus there's a girl who's 16 who's gotten engaged to her 17 year old boyfriend.

my own cousin got his g/f preggers at 14 and they got married when they were 16. needless to say it broke down, she is an awful mother and ran away, he WAS a pretty bad father but getting a lot better.

why? i know it was the social norm about 100ish years ago but society was completely different then.

ReputationRep:
    most of the kids under 18 that got married in our school, were getting married to guys 10+ years older than them. i think it was just because they had **** lives and saw it as an escape.

i think its a class thing

ReputationRep:
    Just sit back and laugh at them.

(Original post by Bellissima)
    i'm 17 and people my age and younger are getting engaged! at my school there are two girls and they are best friends and also they're 15... and both have gotten engaged (for real, not as a joke or just on facebook) to their boyfriends! plus there's a girl who's 16 who's gotten engaged to her 17 year old boyfriend.

my own cousin got his g/f preggers at 14 and they got married when they were 16. needless to say it broke down, she is an awful mother and ran away, he WAS a pretty bad father but getting a lot better.

why? i know it was the social norm about 100ish years ago but society was completely different then.
    Meh, their loss. I bet 99% (if not 100%) will end badly.

Best to wait for the right person than settle on a pathetic lust for a boy at school. There's a bigger world out there - and hotter men. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Some people do I suppose. They think they are in love and that they want to be with this person forever. How many people dreamed at 13/14 about getting married? But under 16 is really too young to get engaged. I've never been in love so don't know how it feels but at that age do you really know love?

ReputationRep:
    All the chavs at my school got 'engaged' at school, they're not together now.. but have several children with different people.

Meh, go figure.. leave them be and concentrate on yourself.

ReputationRep:
    my friends sister is getting divorced after being married 3 months. she's 19. and my friend is 'engaged' to a guy she met on holiday this summer who lives in France. i think it's ridiculous personally. i don't plan on getting married any time soon.. like any time in the next 10 years.

ReputationRep:
    I only know one person that young (15/16) who was engaged, their not anymore though. I do know quite a few people my age (19) who are engaged. I'm engaged too!

ReputationRep:
    Married obviously as an easy way out. Engaged, whatever they can break it off easily and it doesn't involve anything serious...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Why not? :dontknow: I know a few people from my year who are engaged and have been stable relationships for some time.

ReputationRep:
    The best thing to do is get married after you finish your degree and work for at least 5 years and maybe bought a house, getting married before 33 is crazy :eek3:

:rolleyes:

Even 18 is cool if you are mature enough and you've found the right person.

ReputationRep:
    If they weren't getting married young, then the question would be "why are people getting married so old?"

ReputationRep:
    Getting 'engaged' means sweet **** all, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it works. My mum allowed my sister to get married in 2007 when she was 16, even though I was massively opposed to it and let her know about it. They have been married 3 years now, and they have a son. On the other hand, I know another who got married at 17 and they got divorced two months because she was cheating on him. I think young people get married either because it's arranged, the gir's pregnant or because they feel their love is special and different from everyone's so they have to find a way to express it. I am petrified of getting married, the idea of basically a contract binding two people together scares me, I cannot see the romantic side to it.

ReputationRep:
    I used to believe I was in love with someone when I was 13-14 and would have agreed to marry him without a second thought back then. Despite still kind of having feelings for him..I look back at myself and laugh.

People these days are too quick to think they love someone without realising that love takes years to grow and mature and mistake the excitement of getting to be with someone as feelings that will last forever.

Still though, the only person who was engaged at my school was this Pakistani girl who got engaged at 13 and has now gone over to Pakistan to marry him at the age of 16. Doubt it was really her choice but she appeared happy enough..

ReputationRep:
    Personal preferences I guess.
    Who are we to judge?

I guess the same goes through THEIR minds: " Who are people getting married so old?"
    Besides its not like everyones doing it.

ReputationRep:
    I got married last summer at the age of 24 and have had lots of people exclaim over how young I was to do it. But we'd been together for 4 1/2 years, were (and still are ) deeply in love and knew that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together, so why not?

ReputationRep:
    getting married is to avoid sex outside marriage which is filthy and avoiding diseases by the way the reward 4 marriage in islam is like completing half a deen(religion) therefore its really encouraged to have a life partner in a lawful way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_habib)
    getting married is to avoid sex outside marriage which is filthy and avoiding diseases by the way the reward 4 marriage in islam is like completing half a deen(religion) therefore its really encouraged to have a life partner in a lawful way

Providing you take precautions agains venereal diseases, what exactly is wrong with sex before marriage?

ReputationRep:
    I think 40 is the ideal age to settle down - after all if you're lucky that could mean 50 years with the same partner - and think of all the fun you can have before that!!!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.