Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are people getting married so young? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trell)
    Wtf are you talking about?

1 - You can be in a monogamous relationship without getting married.

2 - Condoms and et cetera, while not foolproof, are pretty reliable.
    1- getting married or not choice is yours.↲2-cond are they steel

ReputationRep:
    Under the age of 17, I think it's just silly. I don't think most under-17yos are mature enough to know if they love someone enough to want to spend the rest of their life with them.

But after that, I think if you've been in a relationship with someone for a while and you know you're ready for it, it's not a huge deal. I mean, if that's what you really want, why should you wait? And for how long? I know some might say it won't last, but let's face it, it probably won't last anyway, regardless of how old they are And I know a man who got married at 19, just turned 40 and is still with his wife, plus a couple who married at 17 and have been together for 10 years so far.

My best friend's boyfriend wants to propose to her within the next year or two; she's just-turned-17, he's 18.5. They've only been together for a year, but I can tell they'll be ready for it when the time comes. And they want to start a family soon, so marriage is the first step there. Also, his dad is hardcore Christian, so they have to marry before they can spend the night together at his place :/

It's not like a lot of people are doing it anyway. I only know two young people who are actually engaged. One is 16/17 and a retard, the other is 18/19, has a kid and is also really stupid.

EDIT: Actually, I know another (a close friend) who is 16, getting married to a 17 year old; they have two kids (twins) together, which is why they're marrying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trell)
    What is marriage?

Why must people get married anyway? Why can't you be in a commited, loving relationship without getting married?
    You don't *have* to get married. That is up to the individual and their personal beliefs

This thread however poses the question of why people do get married at a certain age. Which implies that the people concerned believe in the idea of marriage, hence my reply to the topic.

I have no problem if some people do not want to get married, why should I? It is not my place or anyone elses to decide what someone should do.

To me personally, marriage is an important affirmation of love, a promise to support one another through all that life brings. Of course it is possible to do these things without marriage- marriage itself does not give you some special power to fulfill them :p: It is however a beautiful celebration of something which signifies so much. It marks the beginning of a new stage in one's life and all that is to come thereafter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    i'm 17 and people my age and younger are getting engaged! at my school there are two girls and they are best friends and also they're 15... and both have gotten engaged (for real, not as a joke or just on facebook) to their boyfriends! plus there's a girl who's 16 who's gotten engaged to her 17 year old boyfriend.

my own cousin got his g/f preggers at 14 and they got married when they were 16. needless to say it broke down, she is an awful mother and ran away, he WAS a pretty bad father but getting a lot better.

why? i know it was the social norm about 100ish years ago but society was completely different then.

How vile. What kind of a school do you go to? Get out before it's too late!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrii)
    You don't *have* to get married. That is up to the individual and their personal beliefs

This thread however poses the question of why people do get married at a certain age. Which implies that the people concerned believe in the idea of marriage, hence my reply to the topic.

I have no problem if some people do not want to get married, why should I? It is not my place or anyone elses to decide what someone should do.

To me personally, marriage is an important affirmation of love, a promise to support one another through all that life brings. Of course it is possible to do these things without marriage- marriage itself does not give you some special power to fulfill them :p: It is however a beautiful celebration of something which signifies so much. It marks the beginning of a new stage in one's life and all that is to come thereafter
    That's my point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_habib)
    cond are they steel
    Like I said, they are not 100% guaranteed. But, they are pretty safe.

Sexually transmitted diseases are a relatively big issue in the UK because condoms are not as widely used as they should be.

ReputationRep:
    I think that it's really sweet that some young teenagers are so committed to each other that they want to get engaged and marry each other. I definitely see it as a sign of emotional maturity, not childish naivety. Any of us could die tomorrow. It's romance at its sweetest - it's Romeo and Juliet. I can totally understand the charm of spending your young life with the one that you are mad about, rather than messing about flirting around with people that you don't know until you get old and cynical enough to settle for one of them.

Some cod psychology might say that things like the credit crunch make people focus on the fundamentals like committing yourself to things but there might be some truth in it to some extent.

ReputationRep:
    the problem having sex before marriage is to avoid disease. Use as much condoms as you want you cant resist virus causing disease eg aids , are you aware of statistics pple using condom spreading the virus.
    I've got a feeling the risk of spreading diseases isn't the real reason why you don't approve of sex before marriage. Am I right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
    I've got a feeling the risk of spreading diseases isn't the real reason why you don't approve of sex before marriage. Am I right?
    defenitely that is the only reason would discourage athiest having sex bfr marriage

ReputationRep:
    defenitely that is the only reason would discourage athiest having sex bfr marriage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trell)
    What is marriage?

Why can't you be in a commited, loving relationship without getting married?
    Its the same thing imo

A piece of paper means nothing

ReputationRep:
    Would you still disapprove of it even if the couple were totally in love and committed to each other, and neither of them were diseased, but they weren't married?

ReputationRep:
    the best thing is getting married early......avoiding all the nonsense boyfriend/girlfriend fiascos which end up hurting more than anything......

ReputationRep:
    Would you still disapprove of it even if the couple were totally in love and committed to each other, and neither of them were diseased, but they weren't married?
    depending on which perspective u potray your argument.↲You got my points but you seem to wander around i knw where you are heading to.

ReputationRep:
    depending on which perspective u potray your argument.↲You got my points but you seem to wander around i knw where you are heading to.
    Please, just answer my question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saalih)
    the best thing is getting married early......avoiding all the nonsense boyfriend/girlfriend fiascos which end up hurting more than anything......
    Yeah but asian parents always get their kids married off later once they have a degree and a job, so gf/bf fiascos are inevitable during uni years.

ReputationRep:
    Please, just answer my question.
    sorry why should i answer the question when you knw the answers.

ReputationRep:
    sorry why should i answer the question when you knw the answers.
    I don't know the answer, otherwise I wouldn't be asking would I. Only you know exactly how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z_Ahmed)
    Yeah but asian parents always get their kids married off later once they have a degree and a job, so gf/bf fiascos are inevitable during uni years.
    true.....the parents play a big part in ruining their children's lives by delaying marriage

ReputationRep:
    I think there's a tendency for people to see engagement nowadays as the next step in commitment to their partner, not the next step towards marriage and being together for life.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.