Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know people who got married at 18/19 and they're fine, making it work and whatnot.

Round in my home town though early 20's is about normal age to marry and have kids and has been through the generations.

ReputationRep:
    Someone I knew from school just got married the other day, which was suprising to say the least. People say it's a modern trend to want to marry older these days, and by and large, it is. But then we also shouldn't forget that in the Middle Ages, Princesses and paupers were being married off as you as 8! Life was a lot shorter in past history though. Because we live longer, people obviously think there is less of a rush.

My personal view is that it is a thing you should not rush into. Lots will see it as a ticket out of their doldrums or a step to the next level of commitment, but personally, I want to wait until I am financially secure enough to enter into marraige and then potentially (and hopeully!), parenthood. I think the rise in divorces and the drop in marriages is related to this very theme - people don't really understand what's required in a marriage - hence they marry quickly and then divorce when they think they hit a snag! Marriage is an institution I support fully, but people should be under no illusion that it is something you should not take lightly.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think getting married late is nuts. Say you marry and have kids when you're 35, you're going to be in your 50's when they go off to uni. Thats just nuts to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megaross)
    Personally I think getting married late is nuts. Say you marry and have kids when you're 35, you're going to be in your 50's when they go off to uni. Thats just nuts to me.
    Not nearly as bad as those who have babies in their fifties :eek:

ReputationRep:
    What on earth is wrong with that? It's incredibly common...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Getting 'engaged' means sweet **** all, tbh.
    Depends, really. Some people see getting engaged as a step in its own right, which is weird. To me, when you get engaged, you get engaged to be married. I got engaged a few months ago, and we started planning the wedding this month (for a year's time).. it definitely doesn't mean sweet **** all to me.

I would say that no-one who got 'engaged' when I was in school ended up seeing it through to marriage, though. Back then it was just a thing some people did to make themselves feel more mature, I think. Though obviously that's not the case with all young people who get engaged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    What on earth is wrong with that? It's incredibly common...
    Not really, I don't know anyone with parents in their 50's except freinds in their mid 20's.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, I don't know anyone with parents in their 50's except freinds in their mid 20's.
    Well that's odd, because my parents turned 50 when I was 16, and I had loads of friends whose parents were similar ages to mine.

Maybe parents are younger in Swindon.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's odd, because my parents turned 50 when I was 16, and I had loads of friends whose parents were similar ages to mine.

Or older in wherever you come from?

ReputationRep:

Serious? Wow.
    My mum's 38 and I'm 16 :/

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.