Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well, I would like to apply to Cambridge but obviously i haven't got 10a*s in GCSE because i came to the UK in yr 9. Thats why i have 2Bs unfortunately, 5* and 4as. I am in year 12 now and taking 5 alevel subject. Here are my questions.
    1) Do I really need strings of A* in GCSE?
    2)Will i get disadvantaged of being an international student?
    3) i got a b in English, will it bother me?

ReputationRep:
    1) No. I'm not going to Cambridge, but I am going to Oxford and got 6A*, 2A, 1B.
    2) No, as long as you do well in your exams.
    3) Are you applying for English? And also, it's a B in GCSE, presumably if you were to continue it to A level and do well in it, I can't see how it would matter.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Clements-)
    1) No. I'm not going to Cambridge, but I am going to Oxford and got 6A*, 2A, 1B.
    2) No, as long as you do well in your exams.
    3) Are you applying for English?
    Agreed entirely. I know people at Cambridge with lower GCSE results who are now getting firsts.

ReputationRep:
    It's not just about being smart, it's about being passionate for your subject.

ReputationRep:
    no
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    1) No
    2) No
    3) No

ReputationRep:
    Not if you're willing to work really really really hard!

(Original post by Clements-)
    3) Are you applying for English? And also, it's a B in GCSE, presumably if you were to continue it to A level and do well in it, I can't see how it would matter.
    OP has posted in the medicine forum so I'd guess he isn't planning to read English. If I'm wrong then he really is too dim to get into Cambridge

OP - No to everything you've asked. If you want to go to Cambridge, then apply. A 'B' isn't going to cause you problems.

ReputationRep:
    Depending on the college, your BMAT may play a big part. You don't need a million A*s though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Depending on the college, your BMAT may play a big part. You don't need a million A*s though.
    Agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    OP has posted in the medicine forum so I'd guess he isn't planning to read English. If I'm wrong then he really is too dim to get into Cambridge

OP - No to everything you've asked. If you want to go to Cambridge, then apply. A 'B' isn't going to cause you problems.
    Fair, then yeah, a B wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

ReputationRep:
    Do i have to be really smart to get into Cambridge?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stazzy93)
    Well, I would like to apply to Cambridge but obviously i haven't got 10a*s in GCSE because i came to the UK in yr 9. Thats why i have 2Bs unfortunately, 5* and 4as. I am in year 12 now and taking 5 alevel subject. Here are my questions.
    1) Do I really need strings of A* in GCSE?
    2)Will i get disadvantaged of being an international student?
    3) i got a b in English, will it bother me?
    I think it is actually more competitive for internationals, due to there being limited spaces for internationals. (I assume you're applying for medicine? It was posted in the medicine forum but got moved I think).

ReputationRep:
    no my brother goes there and he's not a well rounded smart person; he's poor at maths, but quite acute at literature and astute in essay techniques

However I don't know what constitues a smart person, and whether mathematic ability is a compulsory

ReputationRep:
    Nah, you just need good results.

(Original post by EWS)
    Nah, you just need good results.
    "Just need" good results? :lolwut:

No, just no. :facepalm2:

Anyone could tell you that you need more than grades to get into Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you need to be smart.

No, strings of A* do not mean your smart.

See below

ReputationRep:
    No, just be good at exams and interviews. If you're in a private school it should be piss easy, they'll give you everything.

ReputationRep:
    It's not all about grades...there are lots of other factors too. However, check out the competition for International Applicants.

ReputationRep:
    You would probably need to be extremely intelligent as cambridge represents the supersmarts and you've got to be one of them

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.