Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At my school I have the option of doing AEA or STEP. This is mainly because I am applying for maths at uni (unis I am applying to are posted further down). Is STEP easier than AEA (or other way round)? If I do choose STEP, which papers shall I do?

Unis:
    Oxford
    UCL
    Loughborough
    Nottingham
    Kings's

ReputationRep:
    STEP Is way harder than AEA.

ReputationRep:
    AEA is easier.

ReputationRep:
    Why not? If you like maths enough, then it shouldn't take much motivation to do more maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anshul95)
    . Is STEP easier than AEA (or other way round)? If I do choose STEP, which papers shall I do?
    STEP and the AEA are very different styles, so which you find harder is somewhat personal choice. Having said that, most people reckon the AEA to be easier.

As far as which papers to do for STEP, STEP I is easiest, STEP II is harder, STEP III is both harder and requires knowledge of FM material.

If you don't have an offer to worry about, I would choose STEP, because I think it's both more interesting and better preparation for university.

If you have an offer to meet, the sensible thing is to to look at some papers and see which looks like it will give you your best chance.

ReputationRep:
    i would choose step but im doing a maths degree at surrey and i didnt do either. i have a friend at oxford and he did step 1

ReputationRep:
    I think looking at the papers
    1) Even though the STEP papers are harder I enjoy them more.
    2) None of my unis need them as part of an offer - so what I have I got to loose?
    Probably going to do STEP 1
    Just a quick question: How many questions do you do on the STEP 1 paper?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Just a quick question: How many questions do you do on the STEP 1 paper?
    Each question is marked out of 20 and the paper is marked out of 120, where the marks come from your best six questions. Not many marks at all are given to fragmentary answers, so (for example) four complete and mostly-correct answers would get you more marks than 6 half-answered questions. [And of course some people do more than 6.]

ReputationRep:
    Can you not take both? It's not too much effort as you'll maybe have to do just 20% more than if you just took AEA. And you'll give yourself the best chance of getting your offer.

STEP I is the least to revise. In my opinion if you have done further maths III is the easiest to achieve a 1 in due to the low grade boundaries. But it will require a bit of work getting that extra Maths you learn up to the standard where you can use it confidently in STEP.

Just saw your choice of universities:

You don't really need STEP. If you want to take it for fun/a challenge I recommend 3 if you're doing further Maths. Basically take the hardest one that you can take with your knowledge. ( Since you're looking for a challenge anyway.)

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean most people only do four fully complete questions? Also how long does the exam last?

ReputationRep:
    Why not do both? It can hardly be to the detriment of your mathematical ability to try out both.

ReputationRep:
    @Sliced Bread just realised I used that same pic in my extended project!!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I would take a look, if you are good at mechanics statistics do step because AEA is only pure maths. Mech and Stats are also easier in step because few people take them so they keep making them easier to encourage people to take them. Neither step nor AEA have content outside of further maths A-level, there is no point taking them just for offers, given your choices don't care, if your school give extra lessons that is the greatest benefit of doing them. But mainly do them for enjoyment, they are usually after your A-levels have finished so you have a week or two to focus entirely on them.

ReputationRep:
    Is it harder to get a Distinction in AEA or 2 in STEP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beeristhebest)
    Is it harder to get a Distinction in AEA or 2 in STEP?
    I'd say a distinction in the AEA but the difficulty of each is what you make of it.

ReputationRep:
    Depends, both exams suit different people, but I much prefer the formatting of STEP.

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean most people only do four fully complete questions? Also how long does the exam last?
    Only 10-15% or so of the candidates manage the amount of marks equivalent to four complete question so I'm inclined to say no. The exam is 3 hours long. Most people will manage 3 decent attempts and a couple half hearted ones. Those really interested will obviously do better so don't use TSR as your example of STEP performance.

ReputationRep:
    This should give you a good idea of the performance of STEP applicants. You can get more information here
    Hope that I have been helpful

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 25, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.