Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eilzee)
    Are you asked questions at the interview about the 'short article' you have to read beforehand?
    About half of my interview was to do with the questions. Definitely bring highlighters and things, but don't make the mistake I did. Put your pens away when you walk into the interview room. I didn't and ended up fidgeting throughout the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    Boo-yah! Interview on the 25th of January! I'm surprised because I've not seen anyone get an interview with a UKCAT as low as mine, I got 580 which means my glasgow application is most likely GUBBED St Andrew's looks great, although is it not a year longer than medicine at another university due to the 3 years at st andrews and then 3 years someplace else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCosmo)
    Boo-yah! Interview on the 25th of January! I'm surprised because I've not seen anyone get an interview with a UKCAT as low as mine, I got 580 which means my glasgow application is most likely GUBBED St Andrew's looks great, although is it not a year longer than medicine at another university due to the 3 years at st andrews and then 3 years someplace else?
    omg congratulations!!!!

Are u postgrad or undergrad, scottish english or international?

And would u mind posting ur stats please?

U must be over the moon!! considering they said ppl with under 2457 r unlikely 2 be considered 4 interview

yes its a year longer and its compulsory. You can choose between the 4 Scottish medical schools or manchester. But ur academics during the first 3 years determine how likely u r 2 get ur first choice. u rank the choices and those with highest academic records during uni will get first choice!

ReputationRep:
    Dont be too depressed if u had a bad UKCAT score. I had 580, 3 A* at GCSE, and I got in first time.Dont knw hw to be honest. When i came here, I had the worst academic record from anyone

But Uni's a whole new ball game, and people can perform well here when at school they weren't the absolute best. Like me, in these exams, I ended up doing better than people who had 4A* for A level (mine were much worse:'( )

the work load is intense
    But yeah, anyone who has an interview, or would like to know more, message me

Although, I'm hardly on, and I am extremely busy coz of exam now.

Good luck to all of u.

ReputationRep:
    I have been wondering somethibg about this transfer you do for clinical practice. For example, if you go to Edinburgh then do you graduate and get a degree from there?
    Thanks ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areyousure?)
    I have been wondering somethibg about this transfer you do for clinical practice. For example, if you go to Edinburgh then do you graduate and get a degree from there?
    Thanks ^^
    i asked my careers person at school this, and she said that our degree will be from st.andrews, not the place where you do your clinical years.

ReputationRep:
    i thought you got 2 degree (Bsc or something) things: one from st andrews, and another from wherever you did your clinical. though i may well be wrong :erm:

ReputationRep:
    you get one degree from st andrews, that's the BSc Hons, then an MBChB from the uni you go to after. obviously you can't practice medicine with the first degree. and if you go to dundee, you can make it only a five year course, but you have to go to both unis during your third year. and only like 5 can go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anterior view)
    What happens if you don't go to dundee then? 5 isn't very much
    the majority of people (85) go to manchester. then the rest can go to either glasgow, edinburgh, aberdeen or dundee and that makes up the other 50/(or so) people.

(Original post by ruanaidh)
    x
    EDIT: :teeth: high-five for replying at almost the same time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    the majority of people (85) go to manchester. then the rest can go to either glasgow, edinburgh, aberdeen or dundee and that makes up the other 35/(or so) people.

EDIT: :teeth: high-five for replying at almost the same time!
    hahaha, yeah, then i had to delete mine for being such an idiot. meeeh, blame it on friday.

ReputationRep:
    After having submitted my application, starting to regret having chose Scotland over Manchester, just because theres only 55 places in Scotland compared to the 85 in manchester D: aaaaahhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anterior view)
    Is it possible to change???????
    no idea but i was wondering that myself, cos to be honest i dont mind where they send me, i just chose scotland so it'd be more practical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    omg congratulations!!!!

Are u postgrad or undergrad, scottish english or international?

And would u mind posting ur stats please?

U must be over the moon!! considering they said ppl with under 2457 r unlikely 2 be considered 4 interview

yes its a year longer and its compulsory. You can choose between the 4 Scottish medical schools or manchester. But ur academics during the first 3 years determine how likely u r 2 get ur first choice. u rank the choices and those with highest academic records during uni will get first choice!
    Cheers I actually did a dance when I got the email! :P

I'm Scottish, from Glasgow.
    I got 5 A's at higher, chemistry, english, maths, physics, music (i know, music! :P) I've also done bass guitar exams outside of school (up to grade 7, sitting my grade eight this year ) which counts for UCAS points too. I'm going to Malawi with my school this year to help build/refurbish schools and to help mary's meals, which involves raising about £1500 by myself, mabye this compensated for the low UKCAT? Work experience/ volenteer in an elderly home and a gp's office. I think my personal statement was quite good, just mentioning stuff about my part time job, working in teams etc, playing infront of people, playing in sports teams, all that jazz. Was pretty gutted about my UKCAT score, I did alot better in the mock ones St Andrew's looks so good!

Also, in the interview do they ask you questions that require previous medical knowledge? And is the purpose of the leaflet just to see if you can grasp what it’s on about or would they ask you about you’re own knowledge of the topic that the leaflet covers? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exursist)
    Dont be too depressed if u had a bad UKCAT score. I had 580, 3 A* at GCSE, and I got in first time.Dont knw hw to be honest. When i came here, I had the worst academic record from anyone

But Uni's a whole new ball game, and people can perform well here when at school they weren't the absolute best. Like me, in these exams, I ended up doing better than people who had 4A* for A level (mine were much worse:'( )

the work load is intense
    But yeah, anyone who has an interview, or would like to know more, message me

Although, I'm hardly on, and I am extremely busy coz of exam now.

Good luck to all of u.
    Thank God someone else got in with a similar UKCAT! I was starting to think that my interview would need to be world class to stand a chance, (although it probably will still need to be very good to get considered.) How is it living in St Andrew's? I know someone who went and they seemed to give the impression that there are loads of really posh people there, (not that there's anything wrong with that), I was just wondering if this was true? Also what year did you apply? (sorry for all the questions :P ) Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCosmo)
    Also, in the interview do they ask you questions that require previous medical knowledge?
    How do you define 'medical knowledge'? If they asked you about work experience, and you said you saw this this and this (though you should also say what you learnt from it ) then, naturally, you should know enough to provide a brief description so you don't look stupid. I don't think they'd expect you to know everything, but knowing a little won't hurt and will only show interest.

Basically, if you mention something medical (a surgery, or a drug, or a disease of interest etc..) then you should be able to explain the basic mechanisms/steps, if you were to be asked. But no, they shouldn't expect you to know, specifically, a lot about medicine.

Not actually sure how much I can give away so read at your own peril:

Spoiler:
    Show

[I got asked if I knew how a certain drug worked [Herceptin] when I mentioned it in response to one of their questions. Which to be honest, I didn't. Thank **** I read about it on the car journey to St Andrews. So I basically just gave a very vague picture and outlined the basics of it being an antibody that interfered/binded with HER receptor proteins which had something to do with proliferation (not actually sure if that's a part of it but whatev, it's in the school course :ninja:)]

And is the purpose of the leaflet just to see if you can grasp what it’s on about or would they ask you about you’re own knowledge of the topic that the leaflet covers? Thanks
    Both is right. You need to be able to understand it and summarise it. The topic itself is fairly well known, whilst the leaflet provides a slight new spin on it. So don't worry about not knowing the topic. The 'subject' matter is easy so you're bound to have previous knowledge about it.

I hope that helps?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that helps a lot I was half thinking that they might ask me a random medical question but it makes a lot more sense that they would want to see if I understand something that I had brought up. lol what kind of a question made you answer with a specific drug? Or did you just mention that you had seen it/learned about it from your work experience? (don't answer if it gives away too much!) Have you had any word back from them? Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    hi , can someone please advice me on a matter which has really got me confused, for A2 i want to drop a subject and its between maths and R.S(philosophy and ethics) i really enjoy R.S, even more then maths ive got an A for maths and r.s but i was wondering if i applied next year with biology chemistry and R.S as opposed to maths chemistry and biology would this put me at any disadvantages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sd004)
    hi , can someone please advice me on a matter which has really got me confused, for A2 i want to drop a subject and its between maths and R.S(philosophy and ethics) i really enjoy R.S, even more then maths ive got an A for maths and r.s but i was wondering if i applied next year with biology chemistry and R.S as opposed to maths chemistry and biology would this put me at any disadvantages

Haha, funny that. I did Maths Bio R.S and Chem for AS.Same as you. I had the same thing as I couldn't decide.
    I decided to keep all 4 for A2, coz maths for me was easy, and I got 100% for ethics, and 90% for NT at AS

I recon you just do all 4. R.S is easy, although A2 is harder than AS.
    Also, I'm now in St Andrews for medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atomos)
    no idea but i was wondering that myself, cos to be honest i dont mind where they send me, i just chose scotland so it'd be more practical
    Yes you can, I changed my preference from Manchester to Scotland a couple of weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan118244)
    Yes you can, I changed my preference from Manchester to Scotland a couple of weeks ago.
    How do you change your preference? I want to change mine to either to increase my chances! I'm willing to go anywhere if means I get to study medicine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.