Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel6286)
    How do you change your preference? I want to change mine to either to increase my chances! I'm willing to go anywhere if means I get to study medicine.
    I asked about whether choosing Manchester increases ur chances cos of the higher no of spaces but a couple of ppl on here said it doesn't affect ur chances:confused:
    It's on one of the pages in this thread but cba finding it:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel6286)
    How do you change your preference? I want to change mine to either to increase my chances! I'm willing to go anywhere if means I get to study medicine.
    I just phonned them up and they said to send an email stating that you want to change it.
    And it wont increase your chances, they make out offers to who they like and then allocate you to wherever using your preference, but it's only a preference and not a set choice, so you could end up being allocated to your opp choice.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if anyone has ever gotten into st andrews with a police caution?

ReputationRep:
    Got an interview offer today by phone call, so I think it seems they're slowly filtering through candidates deciding who to interview, not using specific key dates in particular.

Hope that reassures some of you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukcathater)
    By telephone! I think I'd drop the phone with excitement! I don't even know if they have my number!
    Well done you must be chuffed! :danceboy::danceboy::danceboy:
    Hahaha yeah, thank you. It was awkward though, as I was in the kitchen at work in the hospital sorting out patient meals, so I had to be quiet and quite quick, so when I get the confirmation I will send a reply thanking them and basically being like sorry for not flinging my phone and screaming like you would usually get, but patients would find that a tad inappropriate.

They only rang to ask a suitable date for me as I was supposed to be going to Thailand in February to volunteer at an orphanage, but that is on hold until the summer due to me getting this full-time HCA position the day before the UCAS deadline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carter BSc)
    Hahaha yeah, thank you. It was awkward though, as I was in the kitchen at work in the hospital sorting out patient meals, so I had to be quiet and quite quick, so when I get the confirmation I will send a reply thanking them and basically being like sorry for not flinging my phone and screaming like you would usually get, but patients would find that a tad inappropriate.

They only rang to ask a suitable date for me as I was supposed to be going to Thailand in February to volunteer at an orphanage, but that is on hold until the summer due to me getting this full-time HCA position the day before the UCAS deadline.
    do u think perhaps they called u cos they knw ur working, etc?
    also, wud u mind posting ur ukcat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anterior view)
    Congrats on your interview:eek: are you a Scottish applicant?
    i think s/he's English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    do u think perhaps they called u cos they knw ur working, etc?
    also, wud u mind posting ur ukcat?
    Yeah I think so, which is considerate of them to acknowledge that I my need to have a flexible date, but I just took whatever they said and my ward Sister gave me the shift off, as well as a bit of advice too which was nice of her.

My UKCAT was 627.5 I believe which is just a little above what I believe Pearson conceive to be average, however not average by comparison to many TSR results.

I am indeed an English applicant, but I'm also a graduate, so if I do get in along with any of you, I do hope to be able to help any of you with any problems you have university wise, such a references or anything, as I have been there before.

Anybody of any other English applicants who have been given the same fortune of an interview as myself?

ReputationRep:
    So I don't know if anyone else is a little confused like me about the teaching method at St. Andrews? But the impression I get is that it is a mix of both the traditional style of lecture based teaching, but also PBL by the incorporation of working in small groups with patient centred workshops. Anybody else think the same?

ReputationRep:
    So I don't know if anyone else is a little confused like me about the teaching method at St. Andrews? But the impression I get is that it is a mix of both the traditional style of lecture based teaching, but also PBL by the incorporation of working in small groups with patient centred workshops. Anybody else think the same?
    From what ive gathered they are very integrated but based on a traditional set up, the small group learning is just for teaching on a small scale, they don't use any PBL.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds about right

and there's some sort of upwards spiral learning, or something.

(Original post by garlicbreadman)
    x
    why the neg dude? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan118244)
    From what ive gathered they are very integrated but based on a traditional set up, the small group learning is just for teaching on a small scale, they don't use any PBL.

Yeah I think you probably are right there, I may have over complicate matters by thinking it has a hint of PBL because of the patient centred learning for use as clinical case studies. One thing I think is that it actually is pretty individual that teaching style in comparison to the other med schools, and quite a good balance I reckon, especially with the fact they do place quite and emphasis on first year in becoming familiar with the professional conduct that doctors must show, which I feel is equally important to the actual scientific learning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    That sounds about right

and there's some sort of upwards spiral learning, or something.
    Apologies for the second quote, I don't know how to multi-quote. Well I'm pleased that somebody who is holding an offer agrees, that's certainly reassuring Thanks for the reply.

ReputationRep:
    Greetings.

Was just wondering if any non-Scottish Applicants or non-Graduates Applications have recieved an interview/offer for St Andrews?

:bebored: :bl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarriWAP)
    Greetings.

Was just wondering if any non-Scottish Applicants or non-Graduates Applications have recieved an interview/offer for St Andrews?

I'm Romanian and i got an interview. Also i heard loads of english people got interviews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarriWAP)
    Greetings.

I'm english and undergrad and got an interview

ReputationRep:
    i emailed st andrews yesterday asking whether all the interviews had been allocated/if not, when would this be

and thankfully they have still to give out interviews and could be doing so til march

(i got too paranoid from all the people with interviews and was preparing myself for rejection - couldnt wait any longer!)

ReputationRep:
    I know this is rather late to be asking this, but do you think its ok that i havent got an aknowledgement email from them yet? It shows up on track 'St andrews'. does that mean they have my application just probably missed me out with the email??
    Thanks guys..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vintage05)
    I know this is rather late to be asking this, but do you think its ok that i havent got an aknowledgement email from them yet? It shows up on track 'St andrews'. does that mean they have my application just probably missed me out with the email??
    Thanks guys..
    i cant even remember if i got an email, but they sent me a little postcard thing with a picture of the uni or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vintage05)
    Thanks guys..
    My email went straight into my junk box, I just happened to check it and find it! That's probably what happened to yours! If you didn't find it then it probably got deleted, I'm sure if you phone they will confirm they have your application.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.