Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan118244)
    Dont all scottish applicants get unconditionals??
    From the people I know who are doing medicine just now, all of them were given conditionals (bar one who went to st andrew's, but he was actually a genius!) The conditions weren't too hard, about 3 B's (for glasgow last year, it varied from person to person though.) I think they used to give a lot of unconditionals a while back, but what started happening was that when a student got an unconditional in 6th year, they would generally piss about for the rest of the year and do absolutely no work, and so when it came to actually doing medicine they were totally out of the routine of doing work and their performance suffered, especially compared to people who had to work during the year. Although by 6th year we've already done our highers and presumably achieved the entry requirements, the uni's want to see us do something productive with our year, which is annoying!

I hope I'm wrong though, I would love an extra 4 months holiday before uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atomos)
    nope, for example if they havent done biology or chemistry but are doing it this year they'll probs get unconditionals.

so like, any offers i get (hopefully i get some ) will probably all be conditional based on Biology because i didn't do it last year
    I'm guessing you meant conditional here
    For most uni's biology isn't a prerequisite, all you need to have done is higher chemistry and any two from maths, physics or biology. They would probably still put a condition on it just to be annoying though It'd be great to get a conditional with only a condition on one subject, I'd just study the crap out of that subject and abandon the rest! They'll probably put low level conditions on the others though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCosmo)
    I'm guessing you meant conditional here
    For most uni's biology isn't a prerequisite, all you need to have done is higher chemistry and any two from maths, physics or biology. They would probably still put a condition on it just to be annoying though It'd be great to get a conditional with only a condition on one subject, I'd just study the crap out of that subject and abandon the rest! They'll probably put low level conditions on the others though.
    haha yeah just noticed that and changed it there!

and yeah, but if you dont do it at higher most want it at standard grade at least (which i dont have). and they probably would
    someone i know whos doing medicine this year at edinburgh's condition was only a B at higher biology (because like me she hadn't done it before).

ReputationRep:
    just booked my flights to edinburgh for my st.a interview
    really cannot afford to mess up this interview :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    lmao. Exactly what I was thinking.

Obviously they saw something in u!
    And they have to take some people on and rejected many more.

It's like me asking u "Why didn't u apply to xxxx university instead of St Andrews"
    (Original post by ukcathater)
    you can't be that bad if you have an unconditional:confused: Why are you bothered :confused:
    I'm not bothered, I was ecstatic about it, and still am. I was just a bit like.. whoa, confused, these guys are geniuses compared to me

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE HELP

Ok so ive been doing some interview prep and I cant think of any LIMITATIONS of St Andrews Medicine course. All the ones typically associated ... I see them as positives.
    The only one i cant think of is it has no hospital teaching facilities attached.

Has anyone else got any good limitations of the course??????

Also will i need to know about the scottish NHS and if so what are the differences to the english NHS?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCosmo)
    I think, like all medical schools, they like a well-rounded applicant. I'm not aware of anything in particular that they like apart from the obvious stuff such as good results and enthusiasm for the course If the others did a lot better academically then you must have had a brilliant interview

If you don't mind, what are your grades/UKCAT/work experience like? I'm sure others couldn't have been that much better academically, as you got an unconditional and the entry requirements ask for nearly perfect results

Oh, and well done for getting the unconditional! To get an unconditional for medicine is pretty rare, they must have really liked you/seen great potential in you!
    Thanks, and my stuff is...

Grades - 11111111A at Standard Grade/Int2. (English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French, Modern Studies, Art & Design and Int. 2 R.M.P.S)
    AAAAB at Higher (Band 1 Biology, Chemistry, Modern Studies, Band 2 Maths, Band 3 English) - I swear I read on here that two of the people that were interviewed and accepted on the same day as me had six band 1 A's O.o
    Taking Advanced Higher Biology, Chemistry and Maths this year

My UKCAT was 707.5 overall

and for work experience..

Spent a week shadowing doctors where I observed surgery, went on ward rounds, sat in consultations.. all that stuff :P
    A week at a local-ish GP surgery, house calls, appointments...
    A week at Aberdeen Uni with a research fellow who was looking into Type 2 Diabetes..
    I dunno if it counts but I've coached primary school basketball for 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so ive been doing some interview prep and I cant think of any LIMITATIONS of St Andrews Medicine course. All the ones typically associated ... I see them as positives.
    The only one i cant think of is it has no hospital teaching facilities attached.

-One year longer than most medical courses
    -Have to change university half way through the course

Some people might see these as disadvantages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lola1993)
    -One year longer than most medical courses
    -Have to change university half way through the course

Some people might see these as disadvantages
    True but then i see those as positives, so maybe i should say that other people see them as flaws and how i view them positively, that way i can recognise flaws but im selling how much i love the course lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shellfish002)
    Hey
    Mines on the 9th Feb at 4.05 so it looks like I'll see you there fellow St Andrews and Glasgow applicant !
    Hey actually mine is at 4;05 as well (misread my email). I think we are part of the same group or something. Most definitely I'll see you there! Meanwhile, Good luck with the preparation!

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE HELP

Also will i need to know about the scottish NHS and if so what are the differences to the english NHS?!?
    don't worry, that's the only one you need to say. then talk about how you think that it doesn't matter though, because the whole point about st andrews is that it provides really solid pre clinical years. i wouldn't mention the extra year as being a disadvantage, they reaaally wouldn't like that i don't think. i mean, it's not like they'll want you to come away with loads of disadvantages. one will do, then explain why it isn't really a disadvantage. as for the scottish nhs, as far as i'm aware it's the same, but don't quote me on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruanaidh)
    don't worry, that's the only one you need to say. then talk about how you think that it doesn't matter though, because the whole point about st andrews is that it provides really solid pre clinical years. i wouldn't mention the extra year as being a disadvantage, they reaaally wouldn't like that i don't think. i mean, it's not like they'll want you to come away with loads of disadvantages. one will do, then explain why it isn't really a disadvantage. as for the scottish nhs, as far as i'm aware it's the same, but don't quote me on that.
    Thats what i was thinking, trying to put a positive spin on it.

Thanks

Oh thats good, well if they ask i will just say a little funny statement.

ReputationRep:
    Dont all scottish applicants get unconditionals??
    You are aware that unconditionals simply mean that the candidate has already got the necessary grades, right? It doesn't actually mean the University wants them more or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    You are aware that unconditionals simply mean that the candidate has already got the necessary grades, right? It doesn't actually mean the University wants them more or anything.
    Well that was patronising. I wasn't asking that anyway :/ and I do know seeing that I have an unconditional myself.
    Yea I do know that, that is why I asked because I thought if you had your highers then you would get an unconditional, but obviously there are exceptions such as if you haven't done bio and also because they don't want you to mess around while doing your advanced highers. Also it it's obviously different for Scottish applicants, and considering im not Scottish I was just asking.

ReputationRep:
    Well that was patronising. I wasn't asking that anyway :/ and I do know seeing that I have an unconditional myself.
    Yea I do know that, that is why I asked because I thought if you had your highers then you would get an unconditional, but obviously there are exceptions such as if you haven't done bio and also because they don't want you to mess around while doing your advanced highers. Also it it's obviously different for Scottish applicants, and considering im not Scottish I was just asking.
    Don't worry, I sound patronising to everyone, I can't help it. It's in my genes :hugs:. Not to mention, last year, I assumed that unconditionals were given to exceptional people rather than being a thing all people with grades got

I was reading a personal statement on TSR last year and I was all :adore: when I noticed someone got an unconditonal

But yes, it seems you're right. St Andrews only asks for Highers -

A gap year would be accepted instead of further study in S6 but a substantial amount of experience relevant to a medical career would be expected. In addition applicants would have to be available for interview during the gap year.
    Why do people even bother doing highers then? :confused: The entire Scottish secondary system confuses me. :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I sound patronising to everyone, I can't help it. It's in my genes :hugs:. Not to mention, last year, I assumed that unconditionals were given to exceptional people rather than being a thing all people with grades got

I was reading a personal statement on TSR last year and I was all :adore: when I noticed someone got an unconditonal

But yes, it seems you're right. St Andrews only asks for Highers -

Why do people even bother doing highers then? :confused: The entire Scottish secondary system confuses me. :pierre:
    How is it confusing?

We do highers in 5th year of secondary school. We receive our results in the same month we start 6th year. We apply to university (well most of us) at the start of 6th year where we have our results, and most Scottish universities will igve an unconditional if you have AAAAA at higher including chemistry and Biology as these are seen as essential for medicine.

In 6th year, people can do just Advanced highers or new higher(s) or a mixture which is more common. I.e. I am doing 2 Advanced Highers and 1 new Higher I have never studied before. Advanced highers are equivalent to 1st year university work and A-levels somewhat.

If someone gets AAAAB or AAABB or AAAAC in their highers, they are likely to be given a conditional offer. And if they are only taking Biology Higher in 6th year, a condition can be placed just on that subject, usually a B.

ReputationRep:
    How is it confusing?

We do highers in 5th year of secondary school. We receive our results in the same month we start 6th year. We apply to university (well most of us) at the start of 6th year where we have our results, and most Scottish universities will igve an unconditional if you have AAAAA at higher including chemistry and Biology as these are seen as essential for medicine.

In 6th year, people can do just Advanced highers or new higher(s) or a mixture which is more common. I.e. I am doing 2 Advanced Highers and 1 new Higher I have never studied before. Advanced highers are equivalent to 1st year university work and A-levels somewhat.

If someone gets AAAAB or AAABB or AAAAC in their highers, they are likely to be given a conditional offer. And if they are only taking Biology Higher in 6th year, a condition can be placed just on that subject, usually a B.
    Couldn't they just abandon all your highers except the one in the condition then? :K:

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't they just abandon all your highers except the one in the condition then? :K:
    No because we put our 6th year subjects into UCAS, and they expect us to complete those courses. The universities are also send predictions of what grades we will get in 6th year. If by abandon you mean not work hard at all, then I guess you could fail the exams, but you coulnd't just drop those subjects, you would have to notify the university and see what they say.

But considering the career Medics are hoping to pursue, it really doesn't look good abandoning further study. And after all, it could help in first year. For example, Advanced Higher Biology and Chemistry will probably help with 1st year work so it should be a "doddle"

ReputationRep:
    No because we put our 6th year subjects into UCAS, and they expect us to complete those courses. The universities are also send predictions of what grades we will get in 6th year. If by abandon you mean not work hard at all, then I guess you could fail the exams, but you coulnd't just drop those subjects, you would have to notify the university and see what they say.

But considering the career Medics are hoping to pursue, it really doesn't look good abandoning further study. And after all, it could help in first year. For example, Advanced Higher Biology and Chemistry will probably help with 1st year work so it should be a "doddle"
    Well, St Andrews for example, mentions you can skip your highers year completely and go on a gap year to gain relevant experience instead.

ReputationRep:
    Well, St Andrews for example, mentions you can skip your highers year completely and go on a gap year to gain relevant experience instead.
    No, you can't skip your higher year (fifth year). The entry requirements for school leavers are based on the grades obtained in fifth year. You can skip 6th year, where most people do some advanced highers, but that's only really an option if you've already done chemistry and biology. It's also safer to do sixth year, your predicted grades count towards your academic score. Would be cool if you didn't need to do 6th year at all though, I could have worked for a year to pay for some of the accommodation costs.

I wonder if I would have been able to just do biology at a local college and work part time, instead of doing 6th year at school where you absolutely have to do 3 subjects (can't abide by advanced chemistry, got the prelim tommorow )

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.