Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCosmo)
    Also did you hear by email or by letter? Or maybe some other way (pigeon mail :P writing in the sky, I dunno what I'm writing now....)
    I got told by track first thing, email (from St Andrews) came day after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    Well, you get a BSc(hons) in Medical Science.

But if you don't like that I know that if you go to Manchester you can choose to do an iBSc or even iMSc after the 3rd or 4th year as well - since we enter in the 3rd year we may be able to do intercalation.

However I'm not too sure about the Scottish options, Edinburgh does it after the 2nd year and before the 3rd but St Andrews student would enter in the 3rd year so you might be skipping it there. Glasgow does after the 3rd year and we enter in the 3rd year so you might be able to do one there. You enter Dundee at the 4th year so I think you skip the chance for an iBSc there. Aberdeen you enter in the 3rd year and you do your iBSc between 4th and 5th so you have a chance there.

Yes, this does mean if you go to Dundee you get a 5 year course with a BSc (hons) - no, I have never figured out why they do that. :cool:

I must add that these options for doing an iBSc might be artificially blocked off to St Andrews applicants as they already have a BSc, I don't know. All I'm mentioning is the time you enter the partner medical schools and the time those partner medical schools normally do their iBSc. We should be able to do an iMSc at Manchester though, but even that may be a closed path.
    I actually prefer the St Andrews way.
    Thats what I was thinking, but then it would take it up to 7 years in theory!!
    Well apparently if you go to Dundee you have to do there third year combined with st Abdrews third year, so you just get tonnes of work in year 3 haha.
    I have to say I've never heard of the 'i' infront of BSc and MSc before, what does it stand for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan118244)
    I actually prefer the St Andrews way.
    Thats what I was thinking, but then it would take it up to 7 years in theory!!
    Well apparently if you go to Dundee you have to do there third year combined with st Abdrews third year, so you just get tonnes of work in year 3 haha.
    I have to say I've never heard of the 'i' infront of BSc and MSc before, what does it stand for?
    It just means intercalated. On your certificate it'll be exactly the same and all, just unofficial terminology to distinguish it from a normal BSc

ReputationRep:
    Cool, I thought it was was 6 years wherever you go. If I get in though I'll probably still head back to Glasgow after the 3 years, the med school here is about a 20 min bike ride or 40 min bus (the bus takes a really weird winding route) from my house If only there was no UKCAT :P I'm hoping for St Andrew's now since glasgow and dundee gave me the chop.

Just out of interest, do you think it would be possible to do 3 years at St Andrew's but apply to an american medical school? Medicine's a postgraduate course over there, but I suppose a bachelors in medical science would be quite an appropriate degree? Just a thought, I'll probably just go back to glasgow as I said!
    No I dont think it is, you have to study in America for a certain number of years before you can do the postgraduate medicine there. You will be much better off taking the USMLE straight after you graduate and then apply for there residency over there. Also apparently Britain really doesnt like there med degrees because they don't fit into our foundation yrs so you would be screwed if you wanted to come bk.

Though I've heard that you can apply to Oxbridge and the London med schools to do your clinical years, apparently some st Andrews students do it every yr and some get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    It just means intercalated. On your certificate it'll be exactly the same and all, just unofficial terminology to distinguish it from a normal BSc
    Oh I see!

ReputationRep:
    No I dont think it is, you have to study in America for a certain number of years before you can do the postgraduate medicine there. You will be much better off taking the USMLE straight after you graduate and then apply for there residency over there. Also apparently Britain really doesnt like there med degrees because they don't fit into our foundation yrs so you would be screwed if you wanted to come bk.

Though I've heard that you can apply to Oxbridge and the London med schools to do your clinical years, apparently some st Andrews students do it every yr and some get in.
    What's the USMLE? Is it like their med school leaving exam? Would the medical schools over there not have places for international applicants? Maybe a hypothetical plan would be to do the foundations years here, then apply for residency over there, would take a bit longer but safer if it didn't work out? Sorry, about 50 questions here!

ReputationRep:
    What's the USMLE? Is it like their med school leaving exam? Would the medical schools over there not have places for international applicants? Maybe a hypothetical plan would be to do the foundations years here, then apply for residency over there, would take a bit longer but safer if it didn't work out? Sorry, about 50 questions here!
    It's an exam you do to test our knowledge so that it's up to standard with there med degree, apparently it lasts the whole day. It stands for united states medical licensing exam. They just wouldn't accept you to the postgrad medicine bit with st andrews BSc, you need to have been studying in America for a bit to get into there med school. No, if you want to work there your best bet is either to take the USMLE and try to get into there resedency instead of doing your foundation years here. Thought if yiu want to get into there resendency it will very hard as u will have to do better in your exams than the Americans because they will usually always accept a home student over an international. I would NOT do you foundation yrs and then try to go over because they won't accept them and you will have to do it all over again for there resedency, if you do our foundation yrs then you might as well do the whole thing and become a fully qualified consultant over here etc and then apply over there.

ReputationRep:
    It's an exam you do to test our knowledge so that it's up to standard with there med degree, apparently it lasts the whole day. It stands for united states medical licensing exam. They just wouldn't accept you to the postgrad medicine bit with st andrews BSc, you need to have been studying in America for a bit to get into there med school. No, if you want to work there your best bet is either to take the USMLE and try to get into there resedency instead of doing your foundation years here. Thought if yiu want to get into there resendency it will very hard as u will have to do better in your exams than the Americans because they will usually always accept a home student over an international. I would NOT do you foundation yrs and then try to go over because they won't accept them and you will have to do it all over again for there resedency, if you do our foundation yrs then you might as well do the whole thing and become a fully qualified consultant over here etc and then apply over there.
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukcathater)
    We all pick unis that suit us best for a variety of reasons however if you picked a uni who asked for 2As at a B A level then found out they really wanted 3 As you'd be a little P'd off. St Andrews advertised an approx score then seem to have changed it therefore some applicants would have been "safer" applying to non ukcat unis although possibly not their 1st choice. Its nice to see you would consider working in scotland before returning south.
    TSR can be both a panic button or a comfort to some people we all know its just a forum so I dont see a problem some of us just enjoy the chat between studying
    Yea that would be pretty annoying, unfortunately thats the way the unis have to do it. Newcastle and Manchester rank all applicants based on their UKCAT scores and interview the top 40/50%. Because you're competing against other applicants rather than meeting set criteria the unis won't specify what the cut-off is because they don't know until they hand out all the interviews. If they said it was 650, only people with above this score would apply, so they would probably be only able to give interviews to people with scores above of 680... if that makes sense?

It's wierd being considered a southener as in England people from where I live are considered quite Northern :rolleyes:. Yes I agree on that, I didn't mean to come across as an internet-Nazi, was in a foul mood .

ReputationRep:
    Oh hello rejection from St Andrews :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sas280593)
    Oh hello rejection from St Andrews :|
    Sorry to hear that Did you get an interview? Do you mind saying if you're scottish or english, school leaver/reapplicant/mature applicant, ukcat stuff like that? it's cool if you don't want to though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eddie91)
    Yea that would be pretty annoying, unfortunately thats the way the unis have to do it. Newcastle and Manchester rank all applicants based on their UKCAT scores and interview the top 40/50%. Because you're competing against other applicants rather than meeting set criteria the unis won't specify what the cut-off is because they don't know until they hand out all the interviews. If they said it was 650, only people with above this score would apply, so they would probably be only able to give interviews to people with scores above of 680... if that makes sense?

It's wierd being considered a southener as in England people from where I live are considered quite Northern :rolleyes:. Yes I agree on that, I didn't mean to come across as an internet-Nazi, was in a foul mood .
    Manchester this year only interviewed the top 25%, they had 3500 applicants and will interview the top 850 based primarily on the UKCAT!!!

ReputationRep:
    No problem, was expecting it anyway.
    I'm in 6th year, scottish, 4A's and a B in higher (B was in chem). Predicted AAA (2 Advanced highers and another higher). UKCAT was pooooooor! average of something like 589. Kind of annoying as that was the reason for being rejected supposedly, but I read earlier in the thread someone has been invited to interview with a UKCAT a tiny bit lower. Oh well you win some you loose some

ReputationRep:
    If i have to reapply as a gap year student I am going to start studying for the UKCAT early . If the unis are going to continue to use this stupid test I'll be ready!!!!!:rolleyes:
    I think I studied for the UKCAT for a couple of months. It's worth it because I think the med schools are using it more and more now a days, even st Andrews seem to be using it quite a bit this year. If you do well in it it can work to your advantage as it has for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sas280593)
    No problem, was expecting it anyway.
    I'm in 6th year, scottish, 4A's and a B in higher (B was in chem). Predicted AAA (2 Advanced highers and another higher). UKCAT was pooooooor! average of something like 589. Kind of annoying as that was the reason for being rejected supposedly, but I read earlier in the thread someone has been invited to interview with a UKCAT a tiny bit lower. Oh well you win some you loose some
    It might have been myself that you're thinking of, I got an interview with 580 UKCAT. God knows how I got it, though if the cut off doesn't get me rejected then the 15% that they allocate towards it probably will. Good luck for your other applications

ReputationRep:
    If i have to reapply as a gap year student I am going to start studying for the UKCAT early . If the unis are going to continue to use this stupid test I'll be ready!!!!!:rolleyes:
    Same here, I should have spent much more time on it! But I'm sure you'll get in this year Where have you applied to and heard back from?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I underestimated the test and only had about 3 or 4 weeks to prepare and got a crappy 620 Im sure I could improve on the score but I still feel the unis could find some other way. Yeh st Andrews say they only use it for about 15% of our application but it's now obvious looking at who have interviews they have gone for applicants with high ukcat scores barring a few other exceptional candidates for reasons known only to admissions:confused:
    That's what I was thinking when I started to see who got interviews. But I actually hope that they do put waiting on it because i need all the help I can get lol

ReputationRep:
    Manchester this year only interviewed the top 25%, they had 3500 applicants and will interview the top 850 based primarily on the UKCAT!!!
    Same as Glasgow then!
    Daft daft daft daft system they have (Manchester & Glasgow)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    Same as Glasgow then!
    Daft daft daft daft system they have (Manchester & Glasgow)
    And sheffield, and newcastle and partly kings haha.
    Though I can't complain because this is probs why I got my interviews.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have an interview as of yet. Should I be expecting a rejection now yeah?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.