Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCosmo)
    Good point, I hadn't thought of that Although I think people have started to do so many past questions for the UKCAT that it's almost like in the school exams, where it's all about knowing the kind of questions that come up and just getting good at those. But I suppose the BMAT would have the same problem
    Exactly. There lies the problem with everything tbh. Even interviews. I mean, as much as I love the ISC medical book, every applicant has that. So each year, interviews need to get harder and harder since applicants are better and better 'rehearsed/prepared'.

:erm:

Lulz. They should make up a new test each year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan118244)
    The BMAT actually has an IQ test for the first section.
    Although I agree with the scientific knowledge bit, they take it a bit far because the science section has masses of maths and physics in it which in my opinion have no relation to medicine. I think the essay bit is good though!
    I could have never managed the BMAT :/
    Ahh, I didn't realise that they did an IQ test as part of the BMAT aswell....the *******s! I wouldn't mind the maths and physics bits, I quite enjoyed them at higher (well physics, maths was booooooring ), but you're right, they're not close enough to medicine to make them relevant enough to test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    Exactly. There lies the problem with everything tbh. Even interviews. I mean, as much as I love the ISC medical book, every applicant has that. So each year, interviews need to get harder and harder since applicants are better and better 'rehearsed/prepared'.

:erm:

Lulz. They should make up a new test each year.
    Haha, I think I'm the only applicant who didn't get that book! In hindsight I probably put myself at a disadvantage by not getting it, but my interview went reasonably well anyways (I hope!) What kind of stuff did the book tell you? My main focus was just to explain as clear as I can what the course was like, stay relaxed and to try and make some kind of connection with them. I made them laugh a couple of times which was fun, but I suppose the guys writing the ISC book know a lot more than me about what to do at the interview

Instead of a test there should be some kind of gladiatorial fight to the death for a place! Or a big game of paint-ball, that would be awesoooome!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I think I'm the only applicant who didn't get that book! In hindsight I probably put myself at a disadvantage by not getting it, but my interview went reasonably well anyways (I hope!) What kind of stuff did the book tell you? My main focus was just to explain as clear as I can what the course was like, stay relaxed and to try and make some kind of connection with them. I made them laugh a couple of times which was fun, but I suppose the guys writing the ISC book know a lot more than me about what to do at the interview

Instead of a test there should be some kind of gladiatorial fight to the death for a place! Or a big game of paint-ball, that would be awesoooome!
    Don't worry, you're not the only one, I didn't get the book either probably a big mistake but oh wells, whats done is done :rolleyes:

Ha that would actually be epic, a huge paint-ball fight - it would show precision and accuracy which are valuable skills for a surgeon I guess

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I didn't realise that they did an IQ test as part of the BMAT aswell....the *******s! I wouldn't mind the maths and physics bits, I quite enjoyed them at higher (well physics, maths was booooooring ), but you're right, they're not close enough to medicine to make them relevant enough to test.
    I know ... applying to medicine is a *****!

Gladiator fight would be so awesome ... I would go mental though ... so competitive haha
    Though tbh everyone applying to medicine have amazing extra curriculars sport wise, there would be some tough competition!

ReputationRep:
    Gaah, maybe I should of got the ISC book also....I wanted to be more spontenous with my answers tehe...

Interview is getting nearer!

ReputationRep:
    Not been on this thread in a whiilllleee! Thanks to anyone who congratulated me and congrats to anyone else who got in
    And if anyone wants any 'rule-abiding' advice with a pending interview, just pm me.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there are any current St Andrew's medics floating about in the thread. I'm not sure where to firm, as St Andrews have the best course and facilities in my eyes, but It's quite far away from my home (Manchester) and It seems stupid but... St Andrews seems a lovely place, but a lot smaller than a big-city which I'm used to. I was wondering how the social life was, and whether you ever feel a bit isolated or would prefer a wider variety and larger number of students perhaps. I just want to get a glimpse of what daily life is like if possible, I don't want to feel trapped , lol .

I'm sorry to ask about something so trivial, I am ecstatic with my offer from St Andrews but now I have one for Newcastle too I'm just trying to figure out where I'll be happiest.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baztech)
    Gaah, maybe I should of got the ISC book also....I wanted to be more spontenous with my answers tehe...

Interview is getting nearer!
    I didn't use any books or anything, I think it's better to be more spontaneous! That way you seem more honest when you're answering and you can elaborate rather than feel like you're reading off of a mental script, and I think that I would have gotten panicky if the interview went off on a tangent that I wasn't expecting and hadn't prepared for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shellfish002)
    Not been on this thread in a whiilllleee! Thanks to anyone who congratulated me and congrats to anyone else who got in
    And if anyone wants any 'rule-abiding' advice with a pending interview, just pm me.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there are any current St Andrew's medics floating about in the thread. I'm not sure where to firm, as St Andrews have the best course and facilities in my eyes, but It's quite far away from my home (Manchester) and It seems stupid but... St Andrews seems a lovely place, but a lot smaller than a big-city which I'm used to. I was wondering how the social life was, and whether you ever feel a bit isolated or would prefer a wider variety and larger number of students perhaps. I just want to get a glimpse of what daily life is like if possible, I don't want to feel trapped , lol .

I'm sorry to ask about something so trivial, I am ecstatic with my offer from St Andrews but now I have one for Newcastle too I'm just trying to figure out where I'll be happiest.:rolleyes:
    Hey I don't know whether this will help but it's a site about students view on the med school:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=812998

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan118244)
    Hey I don't know whether this will help but it's a site about students view on the med school:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=812998
    Aww thanks, that's really helpful

ReputationRep:

i didn't have the book either :')
    good luck to us!

ReputationRep:

I didn't get the book either! ... and after three interviews, I still don't see how it would've helped me... maybe it's because I didn't read it :P No but I'm not the preparer type of person, nor do I read a lot so... :P

I think you did great anyway without the book

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I know this has been asked many times but I am currently getting all the things I need ready for my little trip to Scotland :P For the interview do I just need any form of ID like my passport, pens and highlighters? or do you think I should take something else.
    Thanks !!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if you knew when st andrews finish handing out interviews? I emailed admissions asking about the status of my application but they just replied saying "All decisions will be made by the 31st of March."

Congrats to everyone with offers so far! So jealous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JungleJen)
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if you knew when st andrews finish handing out interviews? I emailed admissions asking about the status of my application but they just replied saying "All decisions will be made by the 31st of March."

Congrats to everyone with offers so far! So jealous
    On their website they say they will try to announce each candidate about their interviews about 2 weeks before the interview. The last interview day at St andrews is the 18th of March. But then again there was someone on this forum who said he had received a phone call yesterday and he was invited for an interview on Wednesday... so you can never know for sure. Also, there was another person who emailed them asking about the status of his application and he got an email back saying he had been rejected. So i think there is still hope for interviews to come !

ReputationRep:
    has any1 been rejected after interview ? Or are they going to send offers/rejections after all the interviews are finished ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SRK.)
    has any1 been rejected after interview ? Or are they going to send offers/rejections after all the interviews are finished ?
    i don't think anyone's been rejected after interview. And i think we will all find out after the interviews are done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teafil)
    i don't think anyone's been rejected after interview. And i think we will all find out after the interviews are done
    oh right cool ... seems so close , yet soooooo far !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teafil)
    On their website they say they will try to announce each candidate about their interviews about 2 weeks before the interview. The last interview day at St andrews is the 18th of March. But then again there was someone on this forum who said he had received a phone call yesterday and he was invited for an interview on Wednesday... so you can never know for sure. Also, there was another person who emailed them asking about the status of his application and he got an email back saying he had been rejected. So i think there is still hope for interviews to come !
    Thanks! That makes me feel a bit better
    Yeah i saw that post aswell and i also saw one about someone who didnt recieve the email inviting them for an interview which is kinda why i did it.
    Better keep my fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    To all you guys that havent heard yet or have had an interview, my interview is on the 18th of March, which i asked admissions and they told me is the last interview date

So if you're waiting for an interview from standrews, there's still time dont worry, and if you're waiting for a rejection/offer, this is the date that the countdown will start for that "your UCAS application status has changed" email

Good luck lovies

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 5, 2012

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.