Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lola1993)
    I emailed them for feedback and got a letter like yours. They said my global score was 61.62 and 79.58 was needed for an offer. It does seem as if those who are interviewed later are much less likely to get an offer - haven't heard of anyone interviewed on the 9th of March getting an offer...
    I've emailed them again asking the average success rate for November and March interviews just to see if there is a lot of difference - it would certainly put an end to the rumours! I shouldn't be moaning because I have a medicine offer but I'd like to know nevertheless!

Well done on all those with offers St. Andrews is a lovely university after all!!
    How come I didnt get a global score :/
    All I got told was that I was just below the boarderline for an offer.

Did they say that they might put you on a waiting list?

Any way congrats on the other offer!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atomos)
    so so so gutted, i got a top score in all three parts of my interview
    i would have rather they said i failed because of the interview to be honest! because i got all my hopes up in that interview and made such an effort and it didn't matter at all anyway
    I know what you mean That's what I got too Excellent in all three parts of my interview, ,,good but still not excellent PS'' and a crappy UKCAT score, which they said was my reason for me not receiving an offer

(Original post by ryan118244)

I didn't get a global score either ... I was just wondering, how should I let them know if I didn't get any offers ? Was it something available just for you, or for all others who didn't receive an offer yet ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dariadaphne)
    I know what you mean That's what I got too Excellent in all three parts of my interview, ,,good but still not excellent PS'' and a crappy UKCAT score, which they said was my reason for me not receiving an offer

I didn't get a global score either ... I was just wondering, how should I let them know if I didn't get any offers ? Was it something available just for you, or for all others who didn't receive an offer yet ?
    See i wasnt told how i did in my interview in each section, just overall :/ how weird.
    I think i might email them to find out my global score.
    Well the letter was like a seperate letter just addressed to Ryan Barclay haah seperate from the feedback letter. So i dont know whether St Andys are just being crap and not giving the same type of feedbk to everyone or whether it was something just available to me :/

ReputationRep:
    See i wasnt told how i did in my interview in each section, just overall :/ how weird.
    I think i might email them to find out my global score.
    Well the letter was like a seperate letter just addressed to Ryan Barclay haah seperate from the feedback letter. So i dont know whether St Andys are just being crap and not giving the same type of feedbk to everyone or whether it was something just available to me :/
    Haha, you're lucky I think I'm going to ask them about my global score too.

And I'll tell them that I hadn't received any offers and see what they say ... I don't think it will hurt to ask them ..

Thanks for this info :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dariadaphne)
    Haha, you're lucky I think I'm going to ask them about my global score too.

And I'll tell them that I hadn't received any offers and see what they say ... I don't think it will hurt to ask them ..

Thanks for this info :jumphug:
    Am I? Haha

Yea I just sent an email asking for mine and saying that im interested in the waitling list.

Thats alright

ReputationRep:

Yea I just sent an email asking for mine and saying that im interested in the waitling list.
    I specifically asked for the score when I asked for feedback. No, they didn't say anything about the waiting list - guess it's because I was quite far from the score required for an offer. Why would you want to go on the waiting list? You have another offer - I think the waiting list is only for those with no offers
    and thanks well done on your offer too!!

ReputationRep:
    I specifically asked for the score when I asked for feedback. No, they didn't say anything about the waiting list - guess it's because I was quite far from the score required for an offer. Why would you want to go on the waiting list? You have another offer - I think the waiting list is only for those with no offers
    and thanks well done on your offer too!!
    Oh kk.
    Dunno really, just for the sake of it haa. You never know what what happen if I was given that decision. That's what I was thinking but since when are med schools nice, surely they would just want the top candidates.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    So, you scored excellent in all three sections and they didn't offer you a place.. wtf :eek::eek::mad:
    That also shows those interviewed later had a much smaller chance of getting an offer - when were you interviewed?
    yeah, but it was cos i had a 'score above good but not excellent' for reference + ps, and a 'near the bottom' ukcat, which will be why i didnt get the offer, its just annoying because if that was what decided i got rejected the interview seemed a bit pointless

i was 23rd feb

ReputationRep:
    also i cheekily asked to be placed on a waiting list when i asked for feedback - that got ignored lollll

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but it was cos i had a 'score above good but not excellent' for reference + ps, and a 'near the bottom' ukcat, which will be why i didnt get the offer, its just annoying because if that was what decided i got rejected the interview seemed a bit pointless

i was 23rd feb
    Also interviewed that day and also rejected for a similar reason ("PS + reference were rated just above good but not excellent")

I got rated 'excellent' for all three interview parts too, though it seems like it didn't make much difference overall.

I understand that they have to narrow out candidates somehow but the rating of academic achievement does seem a bit unfair. "Your academic score was not as high as some applicants as you applied with predicted rather than obtained A Levels. We did not take AS performance into account. Additional points were also given to applicants who applied having obtained Scottish S6 exams."

It's quite frustrating because I'd really hoped to go there- St Andrew's would definitely have been my first choice.

They did send a very detailed letter though and offered plenty of suggestions for re-applying which was nice of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CantThinkOfaUsername)
    Also interviewed that day and also rejected for a similar reason ("PS + reference were rated just above good but not excellent")

I got rated 'excellent' for all three interview parts too, though it seems like it didn't make much difference overall.

I understand that they have to narrow out candidates somehow but the rating of academic achievement does seem a bit unfair. "Your academic score was not as high as some applicants as you applied with predicted rather than obtained A Levels. We did not take AS performance into account. Additional points were also given to applicants who applied having obtained Scottish S6 exams."

It's quite frustrating because I'd really hoped to go there- St Andrew's would definitely have been my first choice.

They did send a very detailed letter though and offered plenty of suggestions for re-applying which was nice of them.
    How did you not get an offer?? That's crazy, my academics must have been much weaker than yours and you did better in your interview by the sound of it.
    Gees St Andrews seem to be a tough cookie this year!

Did you get any other offers?

ReputationRep:

hmm thats rubbish too

but yeah they gave some alright tips for next year, just need to do well in exams this year and get a better ukcat!
    i was going to not reapply there next year and pick glasgow instead but after that feedback i think i will deffo try again at st andys

ReputationRep:
    Am I? Haha

Thats alright

also i cheekily asked to be placed on a waiting list when i asked for feedback - that got ignored lollll
    I'm confused by this waiting list thing, do they just pick people who were near top of ranking and put them on the waiting list, and you've both just asked if you could go on it, or is it something you can just ask about and see what happens?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quackers93)
    I'm confused by this waiting list thing, do they just pick people who were near top of ranking and put them on the waiting list, and you've both just asked if you could go on it, or is it something you can just ask about and see what happens?
    Well you have to be asked by St Andrews if you want to go on it by letter they send you. Then you contact them saying if your interested. Did you get rejection feedback and was there a letter talking about the waiting list?
    They said that they will wait until may/ June to see how many people have firmed and will then decide whether they will make any more offers. I don't think you can just ask to be on the waiting list though. They said that it's highly unlikely they would create one, but if they do it will be the top scoring (those just below the offer borderline).

ReputationRep:
    How did you not get an offer?? That's crazy, my academics must have been much weaker than yours and you did better in your interview by the sound of it.
    Gees St Andrews seem to be a tough cookie this year!

Did you get any other offers?
    They do seem to have very high standards this year. Diasppointing for us, but really well done to anyone who got in!

Yeah- I got two others, so I can't complain Hoping to go to Dublin now- they don't give offers or do interviews so it will all depend on grades.

Good luck with the waiting list if they do make one! You'd probably stand a good chance- I might be wrong, but maybe the waiting list is for re-applicants? It would make sense if it was, since it would give a fairer chance to people who were really trying for St Andrews or who didn't get any offers again without making them do the whole application process a third time.

ReputationRep:
    They do seem to have very high standards this year. Diasppointing for us, but really well done to anyone who got in!

Yeah- I got two others, so I can't complain Hoping to go to Dublin now- they don't give offers or do interviews so it will all depend on grades.

Good luck with the waiting list if they do make one! You'd probably stand a good chance- I might be wrong, but maybe the waiting list is for re-applicants? It would make sense if it was, since it would give a fairer chance to people who were really trying for St Andrews or who didn't get any offers again without making them do the whole application process a third time.
    Every med school seems to have upped their requirements this yr. Seems to be getting harder and harder.

Ahh that's good then! Congrats!

Ahh thanks and you! Who knows. Med schools seem to make up things as they go along.

ReputationRep:
    Well you have to be asked by St Andrews if you want to go on it by letter they send you. Then you contact them saying if your interested. Did you get rejection feedback and was there a letter talking about the waiting list?
    They said that they will wait until may/ June to see how many people have firmed and will then decide whether they will make any more offers. I don't think you can just ask to be on the waiting list though. They said that it's highly unlikely they would create one, but if they do it will be the top scoring (those just below the offer borderline).
    Nah only got feedback letter. Bummer but ah wells :rolleyes: I never knew anything about it, I've only heard people mention it so I thought I may aswell ask Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Well I got told that I would have have received an offer if I had selected Manchester! Takes the absolute piss!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by platty1907)
    Well I got told that I would have have received an offer if I had selected Manchester! Takes the absolute piss!
    There were loads of people who chose Scotland and got Manchester instead ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by platty1907)
    Did they actually tell you that? I orig choose manc and then swapped it to scotland, maybe thats why i missed out on an offer :/
    But i thought they said that your preference doesnt determine whether of not you get an offer, if they want to make you an offer they will. It just might not be your preference.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.