Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan118244)
    Did they actually tell you that? I orig choose manc and then swapped it to scotland, maybe thats why i missed out on an offer :/
    But i thought they said that your preference doesnt determine whether of not you get an offer, if they want to make you an offer they will. It just might not be your preference.
    how come you didn't just choose the option of it not mattering were you go after the 3 years " (If you have no preference for where Phase 2 is undertaken, please enter 'E' under 'Campus Code' in the 'choices' section of the application or ‘S’ if your prefer Scotland and ‘M’ if you prefer Manchester.)"

ReputationRep:
    Did they actually tell you that? I orig choose manc and then swapped it to scotland, maybe thats why i missed out on an offer :/
    But i thought they said that your preference doesnt determine whether of not you get an offer, if they want to make you an offer they will. It just might not be your preference.
    That doesn't make any sense! There were so many people who got Manchester even though they've chosen Scotland. And I remember someone saying that he/she called admissions during the interview process and they were told that it doesnt actually matter what option they have... as long as they are good enough they are supposed to get it and in the worst of case, they will be redistributed to the other campus :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teafil)
    That doesn't make any sense! There were so many people who got Manchester even though they've chosen Scotland. And I remember someone saying that he/she called admissions during the interview process and they were told that it doesnt actually matter what option they have... as long as they are good enough they are supposed to get it and in the worst of case, they will be redistributed to the other campus :confused:
    Yea I phonned them and thats what they said to me as well. But i cant help wonder whether they would have given me an offer if i selected open preference or manchester.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite unclear whether or not it makes a difference. I thought it wouldn't though rejection feedback, whilst it doesn't explicitly state it, suggests that it does:

"In medical admissions at St Andrews, because we have 3 different campus codes it is impossible to predict how popular any route will be with applicants in any particulaar admissions cycle. It is difficult to give clear guidance to unsuccessful applicants like yourself, as in subsequent years the popularity of each route may fluctuate. Certainly this year the Scottish route was more competitive"

By saying 'competitive' rather than 'popular' at the end, it makes it sound as if the applications are processed separately.

ReputationRep:
    Quoted from my feedback letter:
    "You were just borderline in being made an offer. If you had applied on the Manchester route you would have obtained an offer.

In Medical admissions at St Andrews, because we have 3 different campus codes (Manchester/Scotland/Either) it is impossible to predict how popular any route will be with applicants in any particular admissions cycle. It is difficult to give clear guidance to unsuccessful applicants like yourself, as in subsequent years the popularity of each route may fluctuate. However, it is the case that the Scottish route was more competative this year."

Are you lot still confused?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CantThinkOfaUsername)
    It's quite unclear whether or not it makes a difference. I thought it wouldn't though rejection feedback, whilst it doesn't explicitly state it, suggests that it does:

"In medical admissions at St Andrews, because we have 3 different campus codes it is impossible to predict how popular any route will be with applicants in any particulaar admissions cycle. It is difficult to give clear guidance to unsuccessful applicants like yourself, as in subsequent years the popularity of each route may fluctuate. Certainly this year the Scottish route was more competitive"

By saying 'competitive' rather than 'popular' at the end, it makes it sound as if the applications are processed separately.
    Yea I phonned them and thats what they said to me as well. But i cant help wonder whether they would have given me an offer if i selected open preference or manchester.
    I think i'll ring admissions and tell them everything I know and explain how odd this looks and ask for them to explain exactly what goes on... What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by platty1907)
    Quoted from my feedback letter:
    "You were just borderline in being made an offer. If you had applied on the Manchester route you would have obtained an offer.

In Medical admissions at St Andrews, because we have 3 different campus codes (Manchester/Scotland/Either) it is impossible to predict how popular any route will be with applicants in any particular admissions cycle. It is difficult to give clear guidance to unsuccessful applicants like yourself, as in subsequent years the popularity of each route may fluctuate. However, it is the case that the Scottish route was more competative this year."

Are you lot still confused?
    Woww you must have been so pissed off!!!! See they didnt even remotely talk about the routes on my feedbk. Did they talk about the waiting list on yours?

Tbh i think St Andrews rejection feedbk is completely made up for every single person and there seems to be such mixed feedbk :/ im not impressed.

ReputationRep:
    Woww you must have been so pissed off!!!! See they didnt even remotely talk about the routes on my feedbk. Did they talk about the waiting list on yours?

Tbh i think St Andrews rejection feedbk is completely made up for every single person and there seems to be such mixed feedbk :/ im not impressed.
    Yeah I was pissed off that ticking that small box for S made sooo much difference, and thought that it was a really **** system! But now im just confused! I had led myself to believe that they were processed separately and whichever you picked was final. I also thought that if you selected E that you were randomly assigned one upon receiving your application. Doesnt make any sense to me right now.

And yeah they asked if I wanted to be considered for the waiting list if they generated one and that I would then hear by letter if they did make one and I was on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by platty1907)
    Yeah I was pissed off that ticking that small box for S made sooo much difference, and thought that it was a really **** system! But now im just confused! I had led myself to believe that they were processed separately and whichever you picked was final. I also thought that if you selected E that you were randomly assigned one upon receiving your application. Doesnt make any sense to me right now.

And yeah they asked if I wanted to be considered for the waiting list if they generated one and that I would then hear by letter if they did make one and I was on it.
    I know. It's annoys me though as I actually phoned them and asked if it would increase my chances if I selected Manchester or open pref and they said no. Arhhh

Well who knows, maybe they will create a waiting list.

ReputationRep:
    This is why I chose "E".

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone that 100% knows what the policy is regarding where you get placed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon-leeds)
    This is why I chose "E".
    Out of curiosity did they ask you during your interview why you had no preference? What did you eventually end up with?

I'm considering applying here this coming cycle and reckon I'd take the 'E' route too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caponester)
    Out of curiosity did they ask you during your interview why you had no preference? What did you eventually end up with?

I'm considering applying here this coming cycle and reckon I'd take the 'E' route too.
    The interviewers probably don't even know what campus you have chosen.. and I think they wouldn't want wasting time for a rather unimportant question (my guess...), but to tell you the truth I think you should phone up and see for sure how things work. As people said before, there were some applicants who were told that the campus they choose makes no difference, and there were applicants who chose the S campus and yet were given the M one.

Plus bare in mind that you actually don't what you want unless you have the grades. You ACTUALLY get to choose where you go in the first semester of the 2nd year at St. Andrews. If you do poorly you may get to go to Manchester (less competition there as i see) even though you were allocated to the S campus, just because there were people better than you that were initially allocated to M campus, but due to their good results they may want to change their campus.

I hope I was somewhat clear in what I've said. My point is actually, it doesn't really matter what campus you choose, and to be honest I think that all those letters saying that people were rejected due to the campus choice is just St. Andrews running out of excuses...

You should really have a good PS and UKCAT score though.. apparently those who did get an interview but did not have an amazing UCAS application ended up being rejected... which makes sense considering the interview is worth only 20% of the application.

Good luck. By the way, didn't you apply to St. Andrews this year as well? Or do I know you from the Glasgow/Dundee threads?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck. By the way, didn't you apply to St. Andrews this year as well? Or do I know you from the Glasgow/Dundee threads?
    Only 20% of the entire application!? Jesus christ.

Yeah, I applied this cycle and stupidly put down Glasgow. Missed the UKCAT cutoff though so will need to improve my score (650 this year, aiming for something around the 700 mark for next year)

I'm actually fairly high up the Aberdeen waiting list so might end up not having to reapply but I'm doing a little bit of initial investigation while I have a bit of time off!

Thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    Only 20% of the entire application!? Jesus christ.

Yeah, I applied this cycle and stupidly put down Glasgow. Missed the UKCAT cutoff though so will need to improve my score (650 this year, aiming for something around the 700 mark for next year)

I'm actually fairly high up the Aberdeen waiting list so might end up not having to reapply but I'm doing a little bit of initial investigation while I have a bit of time off!

Thanks for the reply
    Yes, only 20%. 50% - academic results (if you are a scottish applicant or a reapplicant this works in your favor as you get a good score... while those with predicted grades have their academic records is worth a smaller percentage).

Here is what their website says:
    Each of the four areas of assessment is given a different weighting;
    Academic performance: 50%
    UKCAT: 15%
    Personal statement and reference: 15%
    Interview: 20%

And ...

Allocation to Partner Medical Schools

1. Campus Codes

When you apply to St Andrews you must indicate whether you would like to complete Phase 2 (years 4-6) of your training at either Manchester or in Scotland. This must be done by choosing the appropriate campus code. (Please read carefully the UCAS admissions procedure when completing your UCAS form.)

If you are an International student you should select Manchester as that is where the majority of places will be available for ‘overseas’ applicants.

If you have no preference for where Phase 2 is undertaken, please enter 'E' under 'Campus Code' in the 'choices' section of the application or ‘S’ if your prefer Scotland and ‘M’ if you prefer Manchester. Your UCAS application should include only one application to the A100 course at St Andrews e.g. you cannot select Code M on one application and Code S on another.

Every effort will be made to accommodate your preference and at the time of offer we will indicate the campus to which you have been allocated.

Oooh you had such a bad luck on Glasgow! I think this year the cutoff was 652.5 or something like that. Glasgow is a bit fussy about everything (it's the only university that asked me to have extra A level examinations besides the Romanian exams... and their course is not even that great... ). I think most people who applied to St. Andrews with a UKCAT score of 650 got in, provided they did good on their interview (most of those who got rejected had schores of 640 or less)

Good luck with Aberdeen though!!

Wow... long post

ReputationRep:
    I think most people who applied to St. Andrews with a UKCAT score of 650 got in, provided they did good on their interview (most of those who got rejected had schores of 640 or less)
    I would have applied in this cycle but they didn't allow deferred entry candidates! Anyway, plenty of time to mull things over.

ReputationRep:

No. And I ended up being allocated to Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lola1993)
    I emailed them for feedback and got a letter like yours. They said my global score was 61.62 and 79.58 was needed for an offer. It does seem as if those who are interviewed later are much less likely to get an offer - haven't heard of anyone interviewed on the 9th of March getting an offer...
    I've emailed them again asking the average success rate for November and March interviews just to see if there is a lot of difference - it would certainly put an end to the rumours! I shouldn't be moaning because I have a medicine offer but I'd like to know nevertheless!

Well done on all those with offers St. Andrews is a lovely university after all!!
    Hey, I had an interview on 9th March and got unconditional.. Sorry! Oh and my UKCAT was crap, 635 I think..
    Px

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polldoll)
    Hey, I had an interview on 9th March and got unconditional.. Sorry! Oh and my UKCAT was crap, 635 I think..
    Px
    did you firm st andrews?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, was my only offer!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.