The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Awww don't stress about feeling left out 'cause you're commuting - there seems to be loads of people on my course doing that this year. I would too, if I didn't think that living back home again would drive me mad! Where are you coming in from?

Are you looking forward to freshers? :smile:

PS- UCL is the best!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
I'm not too worried about the whole exclusion thing, but it's just finding those who do commute in, and who maybe feeling a bit daunted about not being in a hall or not having fully integrated from last year. I know there are others at UCL in the same situation, it's just finding them!

I'm gonna get more involved in freshers this year round definitely! I take it you are too. =]
Oooh linguistics eh? I did one module for that as my subsid in 1st year, it's pretty awesome.
Reply 3
vintage_007
Are you looking forward to freshers? :smile:

OP seems to be a 2nd year student but I'm sure there's no age limit on freshers :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Jamsie_853
I'm not too worried about the whole exclusion thing, but it's just finding those who do commute in, and who maybe feeling a bit daunted about not being in a hall or not having fully integrated from last year. I know there are others at UCL in the same situation, it's just finding them!

I'm gonna get more involved in freshers this year round definitely! I take it you are too. =]
Oooh linguistics eh? I did one module for that as my subsid in 1st year, it's pretty awesome.

Ahh yeah, good plan - I guess it can be a bit frightening for first years. Yeah, they're an elusive bunch - I'm sure they'll come out of the woodwork soon enough!

Yeah, I didn't see a lot of freshers last year but am hoping to enjoy it now I'm not a nervous college-leaver!
Ahhh really? What module was that? I had a quick peek at your profile to see if I recognised you and you look familiar but don't think we ever met. You're a psych student year? Think I might do a module in that for my option this term!
Reply 5
Yeah, and that's why I've put this thread together in the vein people might come across it!

I definitely think having a 2nd shot this time round helps, with a little bit of knowledge and experience gained!

It was child language development and probably my favourite one I did including all of my psychology ones! I checked your profile too, and it is pretty much a case of I know the face but never really met either! Yep I'm in 2nd year psychology now, and it's definitely a worthwile pick, just plenty of reading really.
Well fingers crossed then!

Yeah, it definitely does - we don't have all that pressure of last year! Did you commute then too? I'm not sure whether I'm going to go to the Freshers' events this year... I think I might feel a bit old! How about you?

Ahh with Kristza? Curly hair and glasses? I found that course interesting in terms of content but dull in terms of teaching style!

Ahh, okay - guess I'm actually going to have to read this year haha! I think I can only do 'Introduction to Psychology for Biologists' or a research methods course (which doesn't sound fun!) in your department - is there any 2nd year modules that are particularly exciting and don't have prerequisites of 1st year courses?

Haha glad you've seen me too!
Reply 7
Nah I had halls last year, but thought I'd commute back in this year to save me money and I was working over summer so that situation is nothing to complain about! I might go to ministry of comedy and the film night this time around, I did try the whole clubbing last year but it really wasn't my cup of tea. Gonna try and get some people for the two events I hope.

Yep that's her! It was monotonous with the whole lecture slides and the seminars left me confused but I at least have to say what I was learning about did seem very interesting. =]

I think you're limited to that one and a research methods one too. I think you might also have access to concepts and methods (but I really wouldn't recommend it, unless that is the one you're referring to) and social and business psychology. The other 2nd year modules I think are just limited to us psychies!

It is quite weird isn't it? How you can place so many people but not really have any idea on who they are!
Reply 8
im going to be a first year from this september, and i will also be travelling to ucl everyday from home. hopefully it won't be so tiring.
Reply 9
Where abouts are you commuting in from? I'm getting the central (or met) line and it will take me 40 minutes to an hour. Depending on how bad tfl want to be!
If we have enough people I definitely think we should find a time where we all can meet so we can feel connected a bit more. =]
I'm also a commuter and a fresher! im commuting to liverpool st either by central or national rail and then would take a circle,met or hammersmith train to euston sq let me know if anything is planned at some point i've bought a ticket for ministry of comedy night but debating over the film night depends on how tired i am! x
Reply 11
Awesome, great you've found this thread! xD
I'm gonna go get a ticket for ministry of comedy this monday and yeah film night finishes at 11ish I think so it's getting home and all!
Going to the comedy night could be an icebreaker if you weren't up for film night after all?
Reply 12
I'll be commuting too from west london. Ill be getting the piccadilly line, then getting the victoria line to Warren street. I didn't about this fim night and comedy thing? I thought it was only the club nights. Sounds interesting!
Reply 13
Oooh whereabouts in west? I live near Northolt so I can either get the central then victoria or go uxbridge and get the met.

Yeah there's a film and comedy evening monday and wednesday respectively. There's a big commute discussion on facebook and I think those going to film night are meeting at the quad gate just before 8. =]
Reply 14
"The family of a Singaporean student ........ were today said to be “distraught” at her death.

The 20-year-old medical student, who apparently died minutes into her birthday, was mown down outside the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead."

:sad: :sad:

Please do be careful when commuting ! :o:
I'm a commuter! I've got private sector halls and I've found no one else here from UCL.
Reply 16
^ Which hall are you in ?
I'm with a company called Opal
Reply 18
I'm at the Arcade, are you in that one?

Latest

Trending

Trending