Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    You have to be careful before accussing an entire institution as racist.
    :ditto:

(Original post by the writer)
    racisms kinda ok these days
    Wtf?

ReputationRep:
    Some people in this thread :facepalm: Do you take every accusation as fact? 1 youtube video and your concerned?

If it was true, don't you think there would be more about it? Kings is in London ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silent Man)
    Some people in this thread :facepalm: Do you take every accusation as fact? 1 youtube video and your concerned?

If it was true, don't you think there would be more about it? Kings is in London ffs.
    ^This^
    Jesus christ people are so bloody gullible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uer23)
    It's old and ********. Just some failing final year student using the race card. loooool at all you dumbasses falling for this crap.

I know a guy who just graduated from the King's EMDP course this year and he's black, he said he loved the course and was never treated second class with all the other med students on other programmes (5 year and GEP), the teachers and everyone are very supportive too.
    Most likely this. I've read one article covering this story that dates back to February last year. Institutional racism is a serious allegation, and if true, why aren't all the other 6 year med students complaining? To be honest, I'm looking at the story beyond face value, and I doubt it's widespread, otherwise we'd be hearing a lot more of it.

ReputationRep:
    Well if there is enough evidence for it to be considered for court, perhaps the accusations could be true. And also about her failing the last year:
    a proffessor at her uni did note that there was a mix-up with exam papers or something, hence why she only failed by 1%

ReputationRep:
    this is certainly damageing, i wish people can just start treating each other like equals.

ReputationRep:
    Wow if you guys are taking a video on youtube so seriously I guess if it was reported on BBC news or CNN you'd all descend into total chaos.

What's happened to this student is unfortunate but the question is would she be making such a case if she had passed? Also it is very easy to accuse institutions of racism and likewise it's easy to get carried away with the accusations and take them at face value.

ReputationRep:
    I thought we had already established from last time this is BS. My brother is a 3rd EMDP student at king's currently and he can certify this is all bullfaeces. Just a failing student playing the race card to not dissapoint her relatively high achieving parents.

Really you can just see it from the first two minutes of the video where they basically just throw around wild accusations some which can be considered highly questionable

ReputationRep:
    the narrators voice goes through me, so I stopped watching, but judging by some of the responses its probably better i stopped..

ReputationRep:
    Sorry. I don't buy it.

Nobody is going to deny that racism exists, but it's very easy to play the proverbial 'race' card when it comes to matters like this.

Looking at the facts:

1) She achieved the 'predicted grades' for Medicine in 2001 - that was ACC at Kings as far as the web is aware. Kings, at this point in time had just set up what is essentially Medicine with a Foundation Year in order to increase their outreach. For some reason or another(im going to go with poor GCSE results - 10 GCSEs mean nothing if they're all Es), she was declined from the regular MBBS course. However, because they saw potential in her, they offered her a place on the Foundation Course.

Now, that'd be like me walking into Cambridge for Medicine, and them saying "Well, we were impressed, but legimately, we can't take you on to the normal 6 year course because on paper, there are better candidates due your mitigating circumstances, however, we do offer a 7 year course for people in your situation, are you intere--" "HELL YES".

She's been done a favour. Medical competition is ridiculously competitive, and was even in 2001.

2) While on the course, in order to legitimise what they were offering to continue receiving funding for it, the students probably underwent some very basic research. Likely to be the bare minimum in order to establish the course as a 'project'. I think they must have been aware of this, or should have been in the way of informed consent, she just forgot/ didn't read a waiver they had her sign.

3) Racism exists. I don't doubt that some off-comments were made to her, but I also think there's a deal of hyperbole going on. I have my doubts that someone said that we should wipe out Africa. There will be Nick Griffins in establishments, but I think that is risking massive ostracizing when it comes to continuing your training as a doctor.

4) What started off as plausible rapidly descends into some sort of paranoid delusion that everyone is out to get her. Some students may have had their answer sheet wrongly printed, but she was never able to prove she was one of them. For all we know, she just did eeny-meeny-miney-moe when filling out the answers and had gotten burned for it, and found out about the error and wants a way out. Hospitals and Medical Schools don't hire hitman-orderlies to take people out with wheelchairs. It was an accident. She probably then, in a paranoid moment began a tirade about racism, which the College found disgusting enough to not take her accusations seriously. I didn't even know that there was an 'Exit' degree for Kings. I thought that at everywhere but the 6 year courses (St. Andrews, Oxbridge, UCL and Imperial), which offer a BSc after 3 years, you achieved your degree after 5 years of study.

I just can't see a whole institution being this insidious, racist dark fortress that she portrays it to be.

TL;DR - Girlfriend be tripppinnn'.

ReputationRep:
    come on guys she did get her foot stepped on, resulting in a broken nail. just as bad as slavery in my opinion, :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the writer)
    i' m just saying, i 'm pro racism.

that's all, no big deal.

no racially orientated comments, just saying, i 'm pro racism. and i am. i'm not racist myself, but do support those that are. its fine.
    What on Earth?

ReputationRep:
    Lmao, if the whole course is for people from deprived backgrounds then surely everyone would be being treated badly, but this appears to be the only case brought forward. Of course that doesn't mean that others HAVEN'T suffered, but there seems to be some people on the same course (like a user in this thread's brother) who don't think they've been treated badly.. I created a thread about this HERE already!!!!

Why is everyone just believing a random youtube video?? I've been at KCL for a week now and haven't come across anyone who appears to be racist (yet, at least). Some might argue that the racism is only evident in the EMDP department but I *thought* part of the girl's claims were that she recieved hostility from other students too? These students wouldn't all be confined to one accommodation block or something (assuming at least some were staying in halls), and would have to clearly share with others, in which there is bound to be people of different ethnicity and I don't see anyone else really complaning about discrimination.. I dunno! I was unsure first and was worried that it would be hard to adjust to the institution but it just seems one off and hardly reflects the whole university, if it is true..

ReputationRep:
    The information was poorly presented but in no way can be so easily dismissed as some people seem to have done in this thread.

- The letter which implies that he/she would "ask" her to go through psychiatric evaluation.

- Her answer sheet in the end-of-year exam was switched, it clearly states a mistake has occurred, why haven't they just released whose paper got mixed up then? Unless of course it was just her and they actually do have something to hide

- OSCE examination where 30% of the grade is offered by the examiners personal view happens to be the girl she clearly has had problems with, enough to formally complain about.

- She failed by 1% (could be insignificant but come on! Taking everything else into consideration :dontknow:)

- She is severely injured when she was retaking her final year and the people present did not see a thing. The video evidence for that day was "destroyed".

- They have also refused to disclose who has access to that ward, basically who was capable of deleting the evidence.

Seems legit enough to question what was going on but even I'm not convinced to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    To answer some questions: why did she apply for the EMDP if she didn't want to go on the course?...If you watch the video you'll find out she had the correct grades to do a MBBS, but weren't allowed and was admitted onto the EDMP.

"They have absolutely no proof for this 'stigma' or the 'segregation' or the 'bullying'." - They deleted the CCTV footage, once again watch the video.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ deleting CCTV footage is standard. Tapes record over themselves once they reach the end.

Individuals may have given this girl a hard time, and of course, with a staff body numbering in the thousands, some of them may be racist, but KCL is not racist, anyone who has spent any time there knows this. The med/dental/pharm programs are majority non-white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    To answer some questions: why did she apply for the EMDP if she didn't want to go on the course?...If you watch the video you'll find out she had the correct grades to do a MBBS, but weren't allowed and was admitted onto the EDMP.

"They have absolutely no proof for this 'stigma' or the 'segregation' or the 'bullying'." - They deleted the CCTV footage, once again watch the video.
    Maybe she did recieve hostility and discrimination off SOME people, but the extent that it's now reached seems a slight bit exaggerated. She might have been on the end of a series of unfortunate events, not at all linked to one another (such as the wheelchair incident), and it seems like these events just seem to have ALL been considered as due to racial hatred.. she's making the whole institution seem like some hell hole :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Smells like . . . bovine feces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    - She failed by 1% (could be insignificant but come on! Taking everything else into consideration :dontknow:)
    If you fail at Kings the mark on your results letter is 49% no matter what your actual mark was. It's a stupid thing to do IMO but that's what they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sirens)
    If you fail at Kings the mark on your results letter is 49% no matter what your actual mark was. It's a stupid thing to do IMO but that's what they do.
    Huh? What? So if you failed and got 37% they'd still put it as 49%? :curious:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.