Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Glasgow Medicine Applicants 2011 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    ye pretty much ... i have my ukcat on monday and if i do really well then my choice will stick if its around 670 then i will change sheffield to keele. Practicing my arse off at the moment ... but im going abroad straight away after the ukcat so thats distracting me
    What are your uni choices man?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caponester)
    What are your uni choices man?
    Glasgow Aberdeen Sheffield/Keele Leeds

ReputationRep:
    It'll be hard to predict how Glasgow will use the UKCAT this year - it's likely to reduce their number of applicants as someone with an average of 600 would be put off from applying.

I'm a current Glasgow student and was in the first year to use the UKCAT. They asked us permission to use our scores and subsequent academic performance in a study to assess how useful the UKCAT is. It'll be interesting to see the results.

If they interview 800 people, you've about a 50% chance of getting an offer from that as I think they give about 400 offers for 240-ish places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meltdown30)
    It'll be hard to predict how Glasgow will use the UKCAT this year - it's likely to reduce their number of applicants as someone with an average of 600 would be put off from applying.

I'm a current Glasgow student and was in the first year to use the UKCAT. They asked us permission to use our scores and subsequent academic performance in a study to assess how useful the UKCAT is. It'll be interesting to see the results.

If they interview 800 people, you've about a 50% chance of getting an offer from that as I think they give about 400 offers for 240-ish places.
    Right, I'm going to ask a really annoying pre-applicant question :p: UKCAT of 657.5, would you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Right, I'm going to ask a really annoying pre-applicant question :p: UKCAT of 657.5, would you apply?
    Yes, if you want to go. It's a decent amount above last year's cut-off.

Put it this way, which would annoy you more: applying and being rejected because the cut-off is 660, or not applying and knowing you'd have been interviewed if the cut-off is 640?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Yes. I'm applying with just over that..660.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to apply - god help me.

ReputationRep:

Sorry to take your time but there are always rumours of scottish universities discriminating against non-scots ? How true is this in your opinion ?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to take your time but there are always rumours of scottish universities discriminating against non-scots ? How true is this in your opinion ?
    I can't say about other universities but it's not true for Glasgow - there's loads of non-Scots here. I'm from NI myself.

ReputationRep:
    I've emailed Glasgow and am still awaiting a reply.

Do you think it is worth me applying there with an average UKCAT score of 615?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's risky. Unless you really want to go to Glasgow, I'd try a university that places less emphasis on the UKCAT.

Glasgow will send you back a generic email quoting what's on their website. They won't know what cut-off their using until people actually apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garlicbreadman)
    I've emailed Glasgow and am still awaiting a reply.

Do you think it is worth me applying there with an average UKCAT score of 615?
    honestly ... considering how their ukcat cut off point last year was 642.5 i dont think you'll get an interview ..

ReputationRep:
    I can't say about other universities but it's not true for Glasgow - there's loads of non-Scots here. I'm from NI myself.
    Cheers ! Makes me feel a bit better about applying there ... The PBL building is awesome =D

ReputationRep:
    Cheers ! Makes me feel a bit better about applying there ... The PBL building is awesome =D
    For third year PBL they kick you out to hospitals. You do clinical practice in the same hospital.

The study landscape is an amazing resource though. I haven't had to buy many textbooks thanks to it.

ReputationRep:
    Load of cack for Glasgow, Edinburgh prefer people from the Edinburgh area, and then the rest of Scotland and Northern, Northern England (Cumbria and Tyneside). Glasgow don't do that though

Put it this way, which would annoy you more: applying and being rejected because the cut-off is 660, or not applying and knowing you'd have been interviewed if the cut-off is 640?
    It would depend it I get anymore offers :p: If I got other offers I would be annoyed :o: Glasgow does look fantastic though. Hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow has always been my first choice and I know I'm definitely going to apply there!

I just have one question though, the website states that candidates are ranked according to their UKCAT score and that this decides the interviews - does this mean that academics (as long as you meet the requirements) and personal statement have very little, if any, weighting?

You see I got AAAAB in my highers this year (B is being appealed and I should find out if this is successful tomorrow) and I was wondering if this won't put me at such a disadvantage like it would at the other Scottish universities? I got 740 in my UKCAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgie Doll)
    Glasgow has always been my first choice and I know I'm definitely going to apply there!

I just have one question though, the website states that candidates are ranked according to their UKCAT score and that this decides the interviews - does this mean that academics (as long as you meet the requirements) and personal statement have very little, if any, weighting?

You see I got AAAAB in my highers this year (B is being appealed and I should find out if this is successful tomorrow) and I was wondering if this won't put me at such a disadvantage like it would at the other Scottish universities? I got 740 in my UKCAT
    firstly that is an epic score lol ! congrats ! secondly when i went to glasgow open day i asked the dean of admissions and they rank candidates up to the 800th person using UKCAT ... If you have the minimum requirements thats all they want doesnt matter if you have AAAAB or AAAAA or A*A*A* or AAB lol

They look at your PS when they give you an interview .. i think they just check to see if you are on the right lines for medicine at glasgow but don't mark it at all

ReputationRep:
    Right honestly, what do you guys think about applying with a UKCAT score of 650? I think I'm going to submit my application tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caponester)
    Right honestly, what do you guys think about applying with a UKCAT score of 650? I think I'm going to submit my application tomorrow.
    I'd say go for it! Or email Glasgow, see what they say and submit!

ReputationRep:
    firstly that is an epic score lol ! congrats ! secondly when i went to glasgow open day i asked the dean of admissions and they rank candidates up to the 800th person using UKCAT ... If you have the minimum requirements thats all they want doesnt matter if you have AAAAB or AAAAA or A*A*A* or AAB lol

They look at your PS when they give you an interview .. i think they just check to see if you are on the right lines for medicine at glasgow but don't mark it at all
    Aww thanks! Couldn't really believe it when I read the results after the UKCAT :p:

And thank you so much! That's made my night Good luck with your application!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 12, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.